Kingturn - SRPG by Mangobile

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by undeadcow, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #1 undeadcow, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    Update: Kingturn is scheduled for release April 12, 2013. Also Knighturn and Sword & Earrings (Sw&Ear) are back on App Store (at least for now).

Apparently there is a chance that Kingturn [Developer webpage link], a strategy RPG currently on Google Play, will be ported to iOS.

Gameplay Video

From developer, Mangobile who also made Knighturn and Sword & Earrings, on 02/07/13:
    Game Description:
    I considered Knighturn and Sword & Earrings (since removed but possible to return) to be some of the best SRPG games on iOS so if Knighturn shows up it'd be my opinion to be the holy grail of iOS SRPG gaming.

2. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Here is to hoping that they do bring it over! As well as the remake of Swords and Earrings which, as far as I understand they also did/doing? Knigtturn is/was a very good game indeed.

3. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Isn't there a thread on this? Not sure or not

Whoops it was knighturn my bad

4. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The developer updated their website, http://www.mangobile.com/blog/, with good news indicating movement towards an iOS Kingturn release.

Thanks to Marcus70 for the heads up

5. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Mangobile. Designer & Developer
    Germany
    Kingturn iOS release on April 12

6. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #6 undeadcow, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
    Great news! Day one purchase here; $4.99 is a steal for 67 scenarios incorporating 30 character classes with 700 items not counting a skirmish system. App Store is sorely in need of a quality SRPG with that level of depth. Hopefully some other forum regulars and the iOS community take notice. The 4.8/5 rating on Android store suggest Kingturn will be great. I am looking forward to the engine improvements including "smarter and meaner" enemies than those featured in Knighturn/Sw&Ear, adjustable difficulty (rare for iOS SRPGs), elite units, and legendary items.

April 12th can't come soon enough.
    [​IMG]

7. PapaT

PapaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    UK
    Agree completely. I had hours and hours of fun out of the original Knighturn and Sw&Ear and am really looking forward to the new version. I am sure it will be another classic TBS and can only hope that Mangobile get the success they deserve - we need developers like this on iOS.

8. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    WOoT!

Loved the first two, can't wait to get this one as well. Been telling all of my android friends to pick it up, so glad that I get to experience it as well now!!!
    Made my whole week. Come on April 12

9. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #9 undeadcow, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    It has been strange to sit around envious of Android users with access to Kingturn; compounded when they're got such enthusiastic things to say about it.

From Google Play reviews:

10. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I got Kingturn for my Android phone (one of the few Android games I've bought) but can't really get into playing it on the small screen. I don't have an Android tablet. So looking forward to the iPad version.

11. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Kingturn scales on the iPad, instead of 2x mode of the previous releases, and looks great. Since Kingturn has a +/- zoom function it's much easier on the eyes on the iPhone too.

12. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I got a chance to play some Kingturn and think it lives up to my high expectations. The gameplay is very satisfying with heated near standoff battles (adjustable difficulty helps set to your taste). Side missions branching from the main go round are plentiful. The AI does seem smarter, there are rangers camping out trying to defensively snipe base attacks from a distance and other enemies rushing my camp. Resource management, acquiring and balancing gold, also seems more balanced/challenging is a rewarding way. I can't wait for the iOS release on April 12.

13. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #13 bigred447uk, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    Which of their other games should I buy as an introduction to this ? Or considering how long the games are maybe I should just wait a week ? Sorely tempted by one of their other games as I never tried them.

Edit : less than a week till release. I realise I won't get far into either of the predecessors before I buy this on day one. Still interested as to which of their other games you rate highest though !

Can anybody else tell me which they think is the best out the other games ?

14. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Mangobile. Designer & Developer
    Germany

I'll be honest with you. I would recommend waiting for Kingturn instead of buying one of our older titles Sw&Ear or Knighturn (did I really say that now? *slaps his own face*).

I've developed Sw&Ear a few years back as an ambitious one-man project.
    While I still think that Sw&Ear and Knighturn are good games in terms of fun and game play, they also demonstrate that Adam Smith's idea of 'division of labor' isn't the worst one.

Our latest game Kingturn isn't a one-man-project any longer; - it was developed by a small and very dedicated team.
    But most importantly, we have been listening very carefully to the suggestions and comments of our (awesome) player community, and that really paid off.

After play testing Kingturn for some time, I wasn't satisfied with the quality of our first titles Sw&Ear and Knighturn any longer. That's why we've decided to remove them from the market (due to some user complaints I have republished them temporarily on the App Store, though (see Knighturn thread)).

Anyway, on Google Play / Android we have published remakes of Knighturn and Sw&Ear based on our new Kingturn engine:

- Kingturn RPG Plus is an enhanced remake of Sw&Ear
    - Kingturn Underworld is an enhanced remake of Knighturn

If Kingturn can attract some attention on the App Store as well, I will gladly bring over these two titles to iOS as well.

15. actionrpg8000

actionrpg8000 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I hate to disagree with the actual developer of the game, but I would recommend Knighturn. It was one of those games I had just sitting on my watch list, but I hadn't picked it up. Then it was pulled from the store. I took advantage of them putting it back in to pick it up and I love it. I love the retro graphics and simple yet deep srpg gameplay.

16. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Yea, but what happens if Kingturn doesn't light the world on fire on iOS? I am very interested in SW&Ear and I'd be ecstatic to get an an enhanced remake, however, there is this niggling fear that you'll remove the current version and never bring over the replacement. Whatever should I do?

Maybe, if you decide not to bring the enhanced re-makes over, you'd consider leaving the originals up? The way I understand it, you pay the same fee to Apple whether you have 1 app up or 3, so it is not a monetary concern, but I may be wrong, of course...

And yea, Knighturn is great, but I could see some enhancements making it even better.

17. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #17 undeadcow, Apr 6, 2013
    Knighturn and Sword & Earrings (Sw&Ear) are both great but this close to Kingturn's release I'd hold off. The Kingturn interface really is much more polished with better AI, adjustable difficulty, world map, etc. Hopefully we see a release of Kingturn Plus and Kingturn Underworlds on iOS; but if not Knighturn and Sw&Ear are totally worth it. I never thought we'd see Kingturn on iOS so that alone is revolutionary.
    Fingers crossed iOS gets the updates; if nothing else it seems like you have a few weeks to see. Hopefully the developer makes an announcement before pulling Knighturn/Sw&Ear again. It's a shame great games like these have been overlooked on App Store (so far). These are the best SRPGs iOS has to offer.
    Knighturn and Sw&Ear have identical gameplay mechanics. Knighturn is a prequel to Sw&Ear and Kingturn a spiritual sequel (all three share the same universe more than having continuous plot with some character overlap; order is unimportant to plot). I prefer the darker theme in Knighturn but both are similar. Kingturn feels more robust.

18. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    #18 Marcus70, Apr 6, 2013
    My favorite of the trilogy is defintely Knighturn, because of playing as the undead side. :)

19. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #19 bigred447uk, Apr 6, 2013
    I've been lucky enough to try this game and I must say it is absolutely gorgeous. It oozes quality from the beautiful little characters that make up your team, the environments, even the menus are stunning and everything is just bursting with quality and neat little touches. The gear is all beautifully drawn too. In terms of overall quality I'm reminded of the golden age of Nintendo when you fired up one of their classics you were guaranteed an amazing adventure.

I've only had chance to play the first 6 scenarios if the game but already I am getting attached to my awesome team that I've already started levelling up and equipping with the spoils of battle. The dialogue is witty and gives the incredible little sprites oodles of personality. I'm quickly getting drawn in to what I know will be an amazing, and long story. I can't begin to imagine how attached to my party I am to become in the coming hours/days/weeks of working through the enormous campaign.

If you like high quality SRPG with engaging story and characters to care about / Loot and levelling with a whole team of players to level up and equip / incredibly polished gameplay from the controls to the amazing music to the story .... ok I'm ranting !

You know when you fire up a game and everything just clicks.

I'm already addicted to equipping my players. I'm addicted to finding out where the story will go. I'm addicted to levelling my characters to increase their skills for battle.

I would happily pay £40 for a game of this quality. If you like SRPG this is a no brainer. If you don't particularly like SRPG the you need this anyway. It's that good.

I've played most notable SRPG that IOS has to offer (apart from this games predecessor's as they were withdrawn from the App Store) and even after 6 scenarios I can confidently say that is the best our platform has to offer IMO.

If you want to enjoy the story and you're not that bothered about strategy then play on default difficulty and you are in for an an entertaining ride. If you an SRPG fan and you like a challenge then crank up the difficulty and the AI is brutal.

This game is the best in its class. IMO it is / will be the best game so far this year out of all genre. There's been some great games this year so far like H&C / Block Fortress / FFV amongst others. This title takes them all IMO.

I will need to play further to see where this sits amongst the classics of the genre like FFT or Front Mission but from what I've experienced I have high hopes.

Look forward to release day SRPG fans you are in for a real treat. I shall be buying the other two games especially if there is a chance they may be removed from the store. If they are a tenth as good as this they are well worth the asking price.

I can't wait for the release on Wednesday night. I shall be staying up to get this amazing game.

Edit : bought Knighturn to compare the two and Knighturn looks great, but Kingturn looks so much more polished and beautiful. Roll on weds everone !

20. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    @niebau:
    Very nice to see you back on iOS! That was really bad news some time ago when you announced that you would not develop your next game for iOS. Glad to hear that changed :)
    Expect a day one buy from me, and most likely as much feedback as I gave for your other games.

@bigred447uk:
    You should get the two other games, I can highly recommend them. The only caveat I have is that you shouldn't be put off by low-level graphics. They do their job, but that's about it. But then, I immensely enjoyed both games and did not pay much attention to the "non-eyecandy" ;) See my comment above: I only give feedback for games where I think it is worth it.