We Need A Dev To Submit Our Binary!

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by iphoneprogrammer, Aug 24, 2010.

1. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Hello,

We have run into an issue with submitting our binary to the AppStore. The programmers SDK install was corrupted and cannot fix it atm, so we need a dev to submit our binary to the AppStore. We are hoping that a dev would do this free of charge, but if need be we can work out some type of payment.

PM me for more information or if you are interested.

Thank you for your time!

2. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wouldn't it go under his account then and he gets all the monies?

3. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
    It's a free app, however the iAd revenue is registered to our programmer, therefore the advertisment "monies" would go to him and not the dev who submits the app. I believe we would have to install the .p12 files on the dev computer, not sure about that though.

4. In fact, if you gave someone an account with your team on the developer portal and on iTunes Connect, then gave them an App Store provision profile (and probably you would want to also give them an Ad-Hoc or Developer Provision Profile, too, so that they can test to make sure the app built correctly), anyone should be able to do this download XCode, click the build button, and do submit the binary.

5. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
    I thought iTunes Connect is no longer used to submit apps? Its just a two man team, myself and the programmer. I'm the art and PR guy, he does everything else. (I don't have a dev account yet, funding is limited atm) The apps been tested internally and it's well made, bugs have been fixed that the testers ran into, so there shouldn't be any major issues.

Still looking for a dev though!!!! Please and thank you.

6. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Apps are now submitted through the app loader program. I type in my itunes connect user name and pass and it looks for apps that are in the "ready to upload" status. You then simple select your app (zipped) in a browser and click upload.

You fill all the metadata out for your app in iTunes connect first when you create a new app. Then you get to the "ready to upload" status. If everything went right it will then say, "Waiting for review".

Are you saying that you don't have the binary? Or that you need to build the final Distribution Binary?

I think and I could be wrong.. that only the "admin" of the itunes account can upload the final distribution binary. Don't quote me.

7. I think only the highest level admin of the Provisioning Portal can create App Store provisioning profiles. But people with lower level access can actually submit apps with those profiles on iTunes Connect, if they have them. I am sure about this, because I have done it. :)

And yes, the binary is no longer submitted through the iTunes Connect website, but whoever submits the binary will need to have an account on iTunes Connect. (The administration of a lot of other thingsĀ—pricing, screenshots, etc. still happen on iTunes Connect.)

8. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
    We have the final distribution Binary ready, it's in phase "Ready to Upload" the thing is the programmer I am working with said this to me...

"Hey, yeah, I had to reinstall my dev framework, and therefore it's not configured for generating signed code. Can you generated signed executables with your mac ? "

So this ended up getting fixed, now his SDK install is corrupted and he has to redo it which will take some time. Instead of waiting for him to fix it, which will take a while he would rather have another dev submit it for us. We have delayed this project numerous times, and cannot afford do delay it any longer.

9. In order to code sign on your behalf, the developer will need to add the following to the keychain of the computer that is doing the signing:

• your private key (.p12 file extension)
    • your developer signing certificate (.cer file extension)
    Then the developer would need to install the Debug provisioning profile if you want them to do a quick test that the app is basically working on their machine.

Finally, they need to install the App Store distribution provisioning profile, and submit to the app store. You'll need to provide them with a username and password for your iTunesConnect account so that they can login from XCode and submit the app.

I think that should cover it.

Also, as I understand it, iAd revenues will be paid to whichever account submits the app, so you couldn't, for example, get a developer to submit it using his account, and then get iAd revenues paid to your account.

10. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
    This is a problem...

Thank you for the rest of the information, it was extremely helpful. I will be talking with the programmer tonight and hopefully we can resolve this without a hitch.

11. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

Hate to say it, but it sounds like your dev doesn't know what he's doing. :p Who set up the machine before?

12. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
    He did, there was just an issue installing the Xcode 3.2.2, it became corrupted and he hasn't had the time to fix it. But like it was stated earlier, whoever submits it will receive the revenue from the iAd which is not feasible at all. So I will either have to purchase a developer membership or help him fix the corrupted install. Either way it's not going to be all that easy. I know not one thing about submitting apps for review, but this is a learning process and I can tell that it's a lot more complicated then it seemed.

13. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    so youre programmer can code in objective c but can't reinstall an sdk and set up all profiles correctly? this is a 30 minutes job?
    how did he install his workplace in the first time? this is pretty odd.

14. To be clear, it's not WHO submits the app that gets the revenue, it's the developer account you login into when you submit the app that gets it.

I am assuming that YOU want to receive the iAd revenue, correct? You don't want the revenue to go to the programmer. If so, I would highly recommend setting up your own developer account and doing the submission through it. Unfortunately this means another delay while you get the contracts and banking info taken care of with Apple.

Apple has made a lot of improvements in the code signing process and app submission process this year, and it is really not that hard. They've ironed out many of the glitches that caused problems before.

15. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
    we figured it out, and the app was submitted and approved. Can't promote the app without getting into trouble so, no link or name atm. Sry.

I ended up submitting the app under the programmers dev account, via my mac. So, its all good.