Panzer Pets, crossplatform Robot MMO

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by EvaJobse, May 11, 2012.

1. EvaJobse

EvaJobse New Member

May 11, 2012
    [​IMG]

Kickstarter URL:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamundo/panzer-pets-customizable-robots-mmo.

General Info

What is it?

Panzer Pets is a cross-platform MMO, in which you collect robot parts to build your own custom team of robots. With these robots you explore the world and battle hostile robots, through which you will earn more parts and have your robots increase in power. You have direct interaction with other players and are able to trade robot parts, battle against each-other, take part in tournaments and join a guild to undertake quests together.

If you're unable to create a mental image of what the game will be, think about a combination of Pokemon, Fallout, Scrapheap Challenge and Magic the Gathering. Panzer Pets combines the strategy and collectable aspect of a trading card game by allowing players to collect and trade robot parts, along with RPG aspects regarding the leveling and improving of the party of robots.

The game is being developed for iOS (both iPhone and iPad), PC, Mac and Android.

Who's creating it?

Panzer Pets is being developed by the dutch studio Gamundo, founded by former employees of the studio Virtual Fairground. In the past, the team has created the online game Club Galactik and worked on Hero World for a long time, which was an MMO based on the (Guitar) Hero franchise. Virtual Fairground went bankrupt last year, partially because Activision shut down the whole Hero franchise, which also cancelled Hero World. Ever since, the team quietly works on Panzer Pets, using the back-end technology from Club Galactik and Hero World.

[​IMG]

What is unique about Panzer Pets?

• Robots in Panzer Pets are composed of different parts, each with their own abilities and statistics, which directly impact the functioning of the robot.
    • It's a unique combination of trading-card elements and roleplaying elements. Collect and trade robot parts, assemble a team of powerful robots, and battle to improve the characteristics of the bots.
    • Randomly generated dungeons and encounters, so the game never gets dull and boring.
    • A real cross-platform MMO, all progress is saved on the server, so your robots are waiting for you regardless of the device you use to play.
    • Direct interaction with other players. Chat, trade, challenges and tournament participation takes place in real time.
    • It's possible to use the crafting system to upgrade the level of your items. Items found early in the game, can be taken all the way to endgame and still be a valid choice to put on your bots.
    • Create a guild and build your guildhouse directly into the game world.

What is the current status?

The back-end is as good as done. The front-end team works hard to build a new client in Unity, since the client of Club Galactik and Hero World ran on Flash. The client development progresses well; a first prototype is working and the basic client-server communication has also been established. The art side is also working hard, but still hundreds of robot parts, animations and environments remain to be completed. There's also a lot of work to do on the user interface.

And now what?

Because Panzer Pet's development has been funded with a very tiny budget (pretty much: No budget), the development often slows down tremendously, as people have to take up paid jobs to pay their bills. That is why Gamundo launched a kickstarter campaign where you can back the project. With the raised money, the team van work full-time until release, and Panzer Pets could be released this fall.

[​IMG]

Game Information

The Robots

Everything in Panzer Pets revolves around Robots. As new player, you start with just enough parts to build your first robot, but after that you will have to battle to find additional parts or loot enough money to purchase parts in town, or from other players.

Robot parts come in four flavors, initially. First, we have Cores. These make up the head of the robots and determines the base stats and level of your robot. Each core also has some traits that makes him really unique from other cores. To make your robot battle-ready, you need four more parts: Two arms, a torso and a set of legs. Each of these parts give a bonus or malus on the stats of the robot, and comes with an unique ability for your robot to use during battles.

As the level of your robot increases, which you can do through battling, more robot parts become available to you. At certain intervals, new slots will be unlocked for your robot, so you can outfit them with special parts like backpacks and shoulder pods.

[​IMG]

You can bring a maximum of four robots into battle. The more parts you have, the more options you have when assembling your robots. Many abilities synergize with each other, not just on individual bots but also when deployed on team mates. That's where the trading card aspect kicks in, which elements will you combine into your play deck, and what will be your theme?

Progression

Every time your robots win a battle, they gain experience. When enough experience has accumulated, they gain a level. The experience and level is tied to the core of your robots. When the core attains a new level, the base-stats of the robot automatically increase, and the robot gains access to parts of a higher level.

Because the game revoleves around finding powerful combinations of parts, and not about being forced into cookie-cutter builds that always dominate, it was decided that players will be able to use the crafting system to increase the level of individual robot parts as well. Otherwise, you will constantly have to chase higher-level robot parts and remain with many parts which have become obsolete because your robots have leveled beyond their use. This way, that cool flamethrower you find at level 5 can be taken to the end-game if you wish.

The Battles

Battles are turn-based. One of the cornerstones of the battle design is that the battles themself ar resolved quickly and smoothly without too much complexity, but without cutting down on the tactical choices players can make.

Robots take turns one at a time. The turn sequence depends on the speed-stat of a robot and the last ability that the robot used. Some attacks and abilities are faster than others, so it is possible that some bots get more turns than others.

When a robot gets the turn, it chooses one of the abilities it has access to, after which the ability is executed and the turn passes to the next robot.

[​IMG]

The World

Panzer Pets is set in a post-apocalyptic world. The people have retreated in safe settlements, and out there is the wilderness where rogue robots rove around. The former cities of mankind and the large underground military complexes are now firmly under control of these robots. As player, you will explore this world one part at a time, locate and visit other human settlements, and fight your way through cities and complexes in search of wealth and treasure in the form of cool new robot parts, money, crafting materials, and other shiny loot.

The world is a sort of nodal map, you unlock a node by defeating any hostile robots present or by completing related quests, which gives you access to the adjacent nodes. In addition to the overworld, the game features many diverse dungeons, in the form of abandoned cities, scrap heaps and military complexes. These dungeons are generated randomly each time you enter them, ensuring that the game remains fresh and challenging for a long time.

[​IMG]

Free to Play

With the money raised from the kickstarter campaign, Gamundo plans to release the bulk of the game for free; as people paid for all this stuff in advance by backing Panzer Pets. There are no monthly fees, but to pay for the server costs and continued development of the game, Gamundo will sell virtual items. Gamundo explicitly stays clear of pay-to-win practises; free users will not be at a disadvantage when playing against paying users.

Community Interaction

One of the perks of Kickstarter is that everyone that backs the project should be entitled to have a say in the development of the project. While we focus on core features of the game first, many additional features are not yet set in stone and will be prioritized based on the demands of the community.

Do you have any questions, comments or ideas? Please post and discuss it below! I look forward to hear what the iOS community has to say about this game. :)

2. Varyl

Varyl Member

Jul 18, 2011
    I really like the graphical style you're using.

3. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #3 Leegames, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
    Okay.. I just got that vibe, I had the first time I saw the new art direction for Borderlands (that is a very very good thing).

This looks truly amazing. Awesome style.

... okay back to reading what the hell this actually is. :D

Edit: Pokemon, Fallout, Scrapheap Challenge and Magic the Gathering? Okay you sold a copy there. But please when transferring it to touch, give us options. Don't go for the "creative-fingers-all-over-the-place-hands-blocking-our-view-controls"... give us options. Virtual sticks, and control over size and placement.

Did I mention this looks great? Aaah I did. :D

4. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    This game will definately be on my list of apps to get! I love the whole idea of implementing a trading card aspect! Cannot wait for my hands to get a copy! :)

5. zhengy888

zhengy888 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    when will it release?

6. KTNewEra

KTNewEra New Member

May 17, 2012
    This game looks awesome...Any word on a release date? hopefully soon!

7. EvaJobse

EvaJobse New Member

May 11, 2012
    Thanks for all the positive comments!

If we make the funding on kickstarter, expect it to be out around September. If not, it can take a bit longer depending on circumstances.

The art style was a bit of a risk, most people so far love it, but we also get feedback that it's not dark and gritty enough, or that people prefer the 'mechwarrior' look for robots. But there are already so many apocalyptic dark-grey-brown games out there that we wanted to do something new :)

Eva

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    damn this looks nice :) hope you reach the kickstarter goal!

9. Varyl

Varyl Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Really glad you haven't caved in to such talk, dark and gritty has its place, and you've managed to make a beautiful art direction that is rather impressive. As much as dark and gritty gets a lot of gamers into that proper gaming mindset, I think your direction will easily attract many non-gamers to come look at and play your game.

Looking forward to seeing more from this, any idea of when you might have more pictures/videos?

10. Abisco

Abisco Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    On the internet.
    Oh wow!!! This looks AMAZING.
    Honestly, upon seeing the words "MMO" in the title, I was extremely sceptical. But your post is really informative and the graphics look GORGEOUS.
    Really looking forward to seeing more!

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #11 Ayjona, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
    Please tell us that the game will feature asynchronous battles and gameplay :) Seems a durned waste to make a turn-based online game for mobile devices without async multiplayer, both considering that this is the ultimate way to play turn-based head-to-head games on portable devices (as long as the option to play in real-time exists as well, and as long as the game doesn't feature any really unique timing mechanisms, in which case it really is a real-time game), and the extreme popularity of asynchronous mechanisms among the iOS player base.

(For a very exhaustive and in-depth explanation of why async is THE thing to work with, and why it might just be an entirely new paradigm within online gaming, just holler, and I'll get to wall-of-textin'... ;) )

EDIT: In addition to that possibly slightly critical note, I feel I should add that I've never seen anything quite like this, that everything looks and sounds incredible, and that this now holds a solid spot among my five most awaited iOS games! :)

12. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Funding canceled

13. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I would love to see this, but the business model seems very shaky. Raising $85k on Kickstarter never looked plausible to me, for a game that is supposedly free to play you just aren't going to get many people to give you $25 or $50 (even if I would).

14. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Is there evidence for this extreme popularity? I see it among online forum members, but that's only about 0.01% of the iOS player base.