Super Meebo's Epic 2D Platform Adventure Will Re-Write App Store History

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PixelPower, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    The reviewer for that game says it's "ugly", but he's completely wrong. Actually that game looks really cool and well done. It has a graphical theme (Atari 2600ish) and everything in that video is entirely consistent with that theme.

That game is actually a perfect example of what you SHOULD be doing. The character in that game is only 8x8 pixels in size, but it works really well. Those graphics are something that a single person can do, but only if he/she understands why that looks good and a pixelated clipart image doesnt.

2. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    Sorry, I thought the subject was about the TS saying that Apple rejects his game. So my reply was based on that title and his first post.

If we're discussing about "success on appstore" surely it is super hard to make money with iOS games, even for free with ads/iap. But miracles do happen for real polished games with good idea.

3. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

People have thrown you tons of awesome advice you should be buzzing that so many have given you the benefit of the doubt. Instead it seems that you prefer to return to your comfort zone of thinking everyone is out to get you. Your expectations will manifest (either way), try thinking positively again then keep doing it. And if you think this is a dig then I want my bone back! Ah...

4. Devcade

Devcade Member

Feb 23, 2012
    #324 Devcade, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
    Wow, you found a great list of awesome games there.
    How the heck did Cloud Wars make it through reviews?

Code:
    Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
    Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
    Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
    Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
    Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References

Is iTunes Connect written in English for non-English users?
    Because it seems strange such a simple game has such odd ratings.
    Maybe they have no idea what they're picking.

5. Devcade

Devcade Member

Feb 23, 2012
    It's not just the graphics are poor and pixelated as stated by Apple. The graphics in your game are
    "inconsistent" in style. Some elements are smooth and blurry, others have sharp edges, some are
    flat, some are 3D, you have several non-similar font types, etc... There is no consistency.
    It's like a jumble of mismatched sprites and fonts. That's just my opinion.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think you should go for this style of graphics. You say you're a pixel artist, well these old retro graphics were normally done in a similar way as most sprites had 8 x 8 blocks and you filled in the blocks you wanted to create the basic graphic.

But look at that game above, the buttons at the bottom look like cool old Gameboy style buttons, even with Atari VCS style graphics it looks great. Your graphics on the other hand look appalling, look at your new control buttons, again theres hardly any improvement from the old ones.

Take some time and look around at similar retro style games and see what you can learn from those, even if its just looking at the screenshots on the app store.

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    now we are starting to insult members on this board because you don't like their suggestions.. ???

way to go.. maybe this thread is long enough and somebody should shut it down.. seem utterly pointless.

8. PixelPower

PixelPower Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    You did exactly like I just said you take one bad line out of a paragraph and say oh he is not listening. You talk like your a pro yet never made a game be yourself. Actually I now challenge you Mr.Ugly to make a game yourself and show us how its done. Thats right no excuses, no silly comebacks, straight up developers challenge. Show me how you can make a game yourself and make it get to the top 50 in appstore. Then I will say you know what your talking about.

9. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Actually that developer who I also forgot his name showed me his blog to help me understand why better graphics work.

10. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    There are missions to complete and once you complete said missions then you get score multiplyer and new set of missions or goals. Also there is the racing feature where you go against 3 other birds that has excellent replay value.

11. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Add water marks or something , developers can just take your graphics off your website easily.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

A developer's challenge. I like where this is going.

13. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver
    Epic thread has ascended to Legendary Thread

14. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Queue cheesy western music

15. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #335 cplr, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
  16. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    Will mr.Ugly accept PixelPower's challenge?

What are the chances of Super Meebo being released to the AppStore with its updated pixel graphics?

And what lies in the future of this legendary thread?

Tune in next week for another episode of "As the world turns... Toucharcade version..." to find out!

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I love the website and forum here but hardly agree with any of their reviews nowadays. Ugly? Pah!

18. Hey, that's my line! Haha

Funny youtube video, can't believe I watched it all...

You know, if we could ever publish this thread as an ebook, I would name the ibook,

"A Developer's Challenge - Super Meebo Returns!" ;)

19. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Oh by the way Mr.Ugly I see when you posted your game

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=90045

It got no responses , try to make a game that at least someone will try. At least one sale ok , I see you give out promo codes but try to get one sale. Oh by the way I personally think no one is going to buy from a company called Ugly Toys, its just not that appealing. Figures you dont even know how to name a company , much less make a great game.

Attached Files:

20. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012