Testing iOS5 apps on an iOS6 device

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by misterSquare, Oct 2, 2012.

1. misterSquare

misterSquare Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Hey folks - quick question here:

I'm popping round to a mates house later to test my game running on his iPad (all I have is an iPhone, so I've been relying on the simulator for testing on iPad so far).

He's already updated to iOS6, whereas I haven't updated my verison of XCode or the actual App in any way. Is this going to cause problems, or should I still be able to run my game on it?

thanks! :)

2. I've still got the previous XCode installed. Just tried it with an iPad running iOS 6 and it looks like you're going to have to upgrade I'm afraid...

You should be able to archive off an IPA file and install it on his iPad using iTunes though.

You'll just need to make sure you're using a non-wildcard App ID, add the UDID for his device to your provisioning profile, and then reinstall your provisioning profile before making the archive.

3. I've had a couple of games Stacword Original and Stacword Match Day that I've done fixes for so they run correctly on iOS 6. I upgraded my iPod to iOS 6 to test it, then had to upgrade to xcode 4.5 and put mountain lion on my machine to run it. Only cost $20 all together (and several hours)

In xcode 4.5 it has an iOS 5 and 5.1 simulator that you can install. As far as I know.

4. joshimoo

joshimoo New Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Germany