Table Top Racing Premium Edition: Fair to be charged for something you already owned?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Greyskull, Jun 27, 2014.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    The premium-F2P-premium rerelease was a terrible idea, but props to the dev for venturing on here and talking about it.

2. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    #82 goodboyback, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    If a game has iaps then it's not a premium experience it's a paymium game.
    I do appreciate the devs apologizing for their mistake and they've gained my respect,I'll look forward to their next game.

Imo the devs are human beings and should be respected like any other professional being is respected,And the devs should respect their customers equally too,It's a basic principle that is applicable everywhere.

Some people here blindly defend every crap that is pulled on the customers and attack them by calling them whiners who always 'complain'.This is a forum meant for 'opinions' if you can't stand indifferent opinions then thats your problem,Negative and positive opinions both can be informed.Those who blindly praise or blindly hate anything are equally at fault and imo don't have any credibility.

It's because of this yes man attitude these stupid timers and shovelware have become so dominant,it's bad for us gamers and the gaming industry.Praise things which deserve praise and hate practices which deserve them,Don't be a fanboy.

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I tend to be a packrat with my iOS games, so I actually have the 1.0.6 version - the version before it went freemium - guess I will be hanging on to that...

Not sure if this is a temporary problem - I will be checking back, but the "new" version of the premium game is not available in the US App Store - I get a message that says the item is not available, although the old freemium version is still available - hope this gets sorted prior to it becomes paid again - maybe too many downloads?

Discussions like these make me glad I don't make my living by programming for iOS... :eek:

4. nburcombe

nburcombe Well-Known Member

We've taken it off the store until this saved game bug is through approvals. Back next week but we need to be a little careful about a 24hout free session, but we will do it.

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Hats off to you. the 4th weekend may or may not cause huge numbers of downloads. Personally, I am doing a lot of things on the 4th and probably will forget to download the game. :D

Do you know what day this is going to happen so I can set a note for myself? Or are we at the mercy of Apple's approval process?

6. nburcombe

Well we need to be a little bit careful over the coming weeks about when to go free. If Apple were thinking of featuring us, then we'd be in trouble with them and it'd be a dumb move to go free right now, but don't worry we will give everyone on here plenty of notice.

7. nburcombe

Table Top Racing Premium Edition (1.3 - saved game bug fixed)

Hi Guys - back again - listen, we've been thinking at lot about this and the right way for us to do this without upsetting anyone is to do it via promo code in the short term and then maybe a free 24 hours in the longer term.

So, if you're desperately upset about having paid for TTR in 2013 and then were traumatized by it going to free (I think it traumatized us more than you in the end, lol) and if you're going to play it and enjoy it - then you should have a promo code for 'Table Top Racing Premium Edition' (1.3 has been approved should be live shortly).

Just pm me on here with an email address and we'll try and sort you guys out in the fairest way possible. Clearly we're going to be limited on the amount of promo codes we get (probably 50 for now) so it will be on a first come first served basis.

Hopefully this gesture will satisfy most of you and hopefully you won't pan the game in reviews as a protest vote, but help us on this transitional quest from "dabbling with f2p" to "committed Premium dev" by supporting us with a fair review - that's all I ask - a review of the game, not our mistakes. That would be awesome.

We all really appreciate your time, patience and support in this matter and hopefully you can still have a lot of fun with TTR. :)

PS I am actually writing a potted history of how and why we ended up here - I'll make sure TA get it as an article too. Maybe they will find a bit of space on the webpage for our repenting story :)

All the best

Nick

8. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    The way to do it without upsetting anyone would have been to launch a second Freemium version of the game, instead of pulling the rug out from under those of us who purchased the original game.

However, while I think you made a huge mistake in going free with your paid app after a bunch of people already purchased it at full price, I certainly don't consider it a personal slight against me - just a bad business decision. It is actually the type of thing that would have prevented me from ever purchasing any more of your apps, ever, because of a fear that would happen again.

I say "would have" because that's all of that is in the past now. The decision to release an actual, real, premium version of the game shows that you get it now. I'm willing to pay full price again to support that, and I'd hope other fans of "premium" game experiences would be willing to pay that as well. After all, it's a great game, and the full asking price really isn't that high at the end of the day.

I'd hope that fans of premium games on iOS would be willing to put their money where their mouth is - here is a great chance to actually prove people are willing to pay full price for a great game.

9. nburcombe

We are only human chap. Mistakes are how we improve :)

10. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Nah, I know, I'm glad a new version is coming out :)

In re-reading my post, it came out harsher seeming than I wanted - I meant to convey more that I'm happy a premium version is coming back, and I hope people support it!

11. nburcombe

Well PM me and we'll send you a promo code. We want you guys to enjoy it again - you were great supporters all along and we got sucked into the f2p argument and I think we've learned our lesson ;) Premium/Paymium or what ever you call it - all the way. We know some people hate the IAP's being in there, but there were a lot of people last time who thought the game was worth more than $3 and so used them to pay what they liked. So that's why they've been left in. most of you guys, being real gamers, won't need them - this is very doable without IAP :)

nick

12. nburcombe

Hi guys, just wanted to let you all know that Table Top Racing Premium Edition is back on the store and available now! We still have some promo codes available for those of you who bought the original before it went free. These are very limited numbers and so it's on a first come first served basis only.

13. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I just sent a PM. Thanks!

14. nburcombe

Table Top Racing Premium 1-5 of 30 codes....GO!

Mxw9mnjkhtn7
    jxfrp3433p3l
    fxj4jxlwrjra
    mrttntjyfyxa
    fp799x3nyje7

TA is making them lowercase...use UPPERCASE throughout

15. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Used fp799x3nyje7, thanks. This reminds me of Micro Machines on the Playstation.