a "toucharcade" site for Android games?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by McJaws, Apr 19, 2011.

1. McJaws

McJaws Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Anybody know the best site/forum for Android games reviews and discussion?

2. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Phandroid.

3. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    it's pretty deserted out there...

4. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

This. It's not a dedicated gaming site, but has a very active gaming forum. Phandroid also has its own cool app to connect to the forums and news etc.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Cool I've been wondering where I can discuss ad-laden watered down iPhone ports.

6. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Gaming does suck on Android. Having experienced both worlds, unless you can't afford an iPhone, there's little reason to go Android, third party software wise.

7. Haha. Agreed. Android just isn't as slick. The Windows-OSX gap is much smaller compared to Android-iOS, imo.

8. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Perhaps because we're just not delusional as iPhone users are and actually use our phones for things like you know, talking, texting-the things they were designed to do.

As for ad laden, that's on the developer, Android doesn't force them to use ads. And I've yet to play anything that's watered down.

Let me know when you can customize your phone, tether without paying for it without jailbreaking, have 3 stores to choose from, and not locked into hardware that's already obsolete.

9. Jesse Arcadia

Jesse Arcadia Active Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Running for the gold--not working so I can build m
    Los Angeles
    Food fight! Yay!

10. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Oh, LOL. I'm not going to enter this argument, but I can already tell you that this is not the best place to start an iOS-Android debate.

11. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    From a C++ OpenGL programmer's perspective Android and iOS are surprisingly similar. Most games barely use any of Apple's wonderful 2D features so don't need to port anything to Google's alternative. Similarly, lots of iOS games (I'd guess most but I could be wrong) use a minimum of Objective C, just a few hundred lines of stuff that has to be (or is much easier) in Objective C. The same is true of the use of Java on Android.

A lot of games are now being developed cross platform and this will only happen more.

The presence of Android may well have a positive effect (assuming you have at least a 3rd gen device) on iOS gaming as all of the devices worth developing for are OpenGLES2.0 compatible.

Is the iPad2 market big enough to make it worth making an iPad2 only game? Maybe it is but why not put it out on Android too for tablets with NVidia's Tegra2 chip?

12. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    1. iPhones have the biggest range of cases and accessories of any other phone by a dramatic distance.
    2. European network providers let you tether and hotspot on iPhone without paying extra or jail breaking, just a problem with the US.
    3. Three app stores to choose from? Who—app developer or customer—would want that??
    4. Last time I checked, iPhones were still rated faster than the competition by most reviews. Specs are not an indicator of how good a device is.

I'm not an iPhone fanboy, in fact i don't even own one, and I see definite advantages to Android devices, but the arguments you listed could've been thought through a little more...

13. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

iPhone 4 is obsolete? :eek:

Get back to me when there is any compelling software that takes advantage of that cutting edge hardware you got there.

14. Jesse Arcadia

Jesse Arcadia Active Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Running for the gold--not working so I can build m
    Los Angeles
    Don't feed the trolls.