Sky Gnomes [racing] - Asynchronous Multiplayer, Leagues, Daily Tournaments

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Jdragoon19, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    #1 Jdragoon19, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

Features:

A New Type of Seamless, Asynchronous Multiplayer!
    - A unique daily tournament system with prizes, medals and other rewards earned every day.
    - Small group competition! Play in groups of 10 at a time, and place in the top spot to earn a medal for that day.
    - Seamlessly race against the recorded runs of other players in your group, online or offline!
    - Leagues based on your skill level! The better you race, the better the league you place in, and the better the medals you earn for winning your group.
    - Unique daily contest for added competition!

Unique Racing Gameplay!
    - Experience racing from a new perspective - falling out of the sky!
    - Collect snowflakes to power your engine - the more you collect, the faster you go. Grab huge boosts and activate afterurners along the way!
    - Dynamic weather systems, including sun, clouds, storms, and blizzards!

Deep Customization!
    - Craft trinkets out of spare parts.
    - Unlock power ups, upgrade your engine, and build trinkets until you have the fastest engine in the tournament.
    - 15 unique trinkets, with the ability to equip up to any 3 at once!

Please feel free to ask questions, or give comments and feedback.

2. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
  3. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    Unique - I like it.

4. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

#4 Foursaken_Media, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
    Cool, thanks for starting the thread. Just want to clear up that the way the game works is actually that your engine is "fueled" by the snow. So basically as you're zooming downward, you need to keep collecting flakes to keep your engine going (your snowball slowly shrinks over time as long as you aren't collecting any snow). The more flakes you collect, the bigger your snowball gets and the faster you'll go.

We also have a short little pre-release cinematic/teaser setting up the universe and story a bit... give it a look!

5. DtheGOPkiller

DtheGOPkiller Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I would have to kill you if I tell you.
    CA! Sunny and awesome!
    Alright! Another FSM game!

I will always instantly buy a FSM game. So far nothing but great games. Still waiting for a console title? Maybe Xbox Live or PSN at least? Come on guys! Make a big console title. A massive bug heroes game for a console!

6. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#6 Foursaken_Media, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    Haha... we would LOVE to do a console game. Maybe we will in the future, but right now we're just the team of 4 bros, so we figure it would better to focus development on one platform, rather then over-extend ourselves :p A more advanced Bug Heroes console game would be amazing though...

This is also pretty cool -- wired.com just listed Sky Gnomes as one of the top apps shown at Macworld!

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/01/8-top-macworld-apps/?pid=2955&pageid=89399&viewall=true

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Looks super fun! (no surprise, ay?)

Questions for FSM:

1. Universal? Retina?
    2. Price?
    3. Fling and/or iCade support?
    4. ETA?

That's all for now and wish it another success!

8. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    By the end of February (so, February).

9. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#9 Foursaken_Media, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    For those who haven't seen it, make sure to check out the front page post about Sky Gnomes at Macworld... lots of good info. http://toucharcade.com/2012/01/30/macworld-iworld-2012-hands-on-demo-of-sky-gnomes-from-foursaken-media/

Thanks!

1. Yep, will be universal and retina. The game will unfortunately not support iphone 3g or ipod touch 1 or 2g... Sky Gnomes is using a VERY intense dynamic particle system for the weather, as well as shaders.

2. We'll most likely be looking at $0.99.

3. No fling or iCade support yet... but this might be a good candidate to add those in the future.

4. ETA is feb... we said late feb, but we're actually hoping we can crank it out more in the middle -- just depends on how things go -- definitely not rushing anything ;)

10. Livven

Livven Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Germany
    Will you be doing a beta test again? Can't wait to play (and buy) this one.

11. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    NOOO!! It won't work on 2nd gens!!!!! FM you let me down!

12. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Not sure yet... we'll keep you updated in this thread if we do though!

I know, I know :( Trust me, we hate having to do it, but the particle system in Sky Gnomes is just too much for low gens to handle... we are really shooting for something graphically great (of course in addition to hopefully being one of the most unique, fun racers on iOS).

13. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#13 Foursaken_Media, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    Sky Gnomes "Asynchronous Multiplayer" and Weekly Tournaments

[​IMG]

Hey guys, I wanted to start talking about some of the really unique features that will make Sky Gnomes awesome -- more then your average racer. The first, most important aspect of the game is the non real-time "multiplayer" aspect, which we've really expanded on since talking to people at Macworld.

Something we have yet to see (at least from what I've seen), is an iOS action game that really fosters competition. Sure, everything has leaderboards, but we want you to WANT to compete, beyond being satisfied with a #1,204,494 ranking.

So in Sky Gnomes, the leaderboards will be set up as weekly tournaments -- you'll win a persistent, permanent medal each week that goes to your trophy case, so you could be a 50 times gold champion for ex, or a 5 time grand master if you're the cream of the crop. On the leaderboards, people will see your trophies and rank for extra bragging rights!

So, how it works is that every week you'll be put in a Division of 100 people, based on your overall skill level -- you'll stick with those 100 people for the entire week. As you play the game, you'll be matched up with the best times (only for that week) of random other people from your division that are near your current best time... you'll actually be racing their recorded ghosts -- so in a way its like a weekly asynchronous multiplayer! We'll have a lot of other neat things like picking a weekly "nemesis" for you to race and measure your success against, and occasional challengers from better Divisions (beat them for bonus coins). At the end of each week, you'll be awarded a medal based on your standing in your Division, and a medal based on your overall time (better time brackets of course get you better medals, which in tun get you into harder Divisions). Again, these are persistent, and available for everyone to see.

The best part about this system is that its all seamless to the player! Just hit play, and the game automatically finds competitive other players, loading them into the other gnomes you're racing against, etc.

And of course if you don't care about competition and that sort of thing, then it won't affect the game for you at all! You can completely ignore it and play the awesome regular game (which will randomly generate the gnomes skill based on your own runs if you're offline), completing missions, upgrading trinkets, and getting top times for your own personal satisfaction.

14. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Forsaken Media is one of my favorite devs! Count me interested?

15. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Did you actually expect that Sky Gnomes would be able to run on a 2G device? It's like saying that you expect to run Battlefield 3 on a 10 year old computer. I suggest you upgrade dude. :)

Wow, sounds awesome! :)

16. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Sound cool.

But whatever the systems is, Oxynidus is still going to own it.

17. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Haha, that's probably true... his specialty seems to be owning all of our games :p But its exactly those type of competitive players that I think will REALLY enjoy Sky Gnomes... and I'm not sure he'll be able to take the Foursaken Team in this game like he did in BH and Mad Chef :)

Anyway, we're REALLY excited about the competitive element of this game... and we should still be on track for a Feb release. Soon I'll talk more about the upgrade and Trinket system.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Game looks very promising.

I hope it has been tested on iPod Touch 4g... Most new games that are resource hungry creates all sorts of problems on the touch4G's lower RAM.

Thanks! Looking forward to playing this game!

19. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Yeah, the game looks really great, but I have one question for FM: I played Bug Heroes, Bug Heroes Quest and New York Zombies. All these games are awesome, but the game I liked the most was New York Zombies. It had a beautifull story. Will you make a new game like NYZ? Or a continuation.

20. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Don't worry, we have one of every device in house from the iPad 1 to the iPhone 4S, so we will make sure Sky Gnomes plays well on all compatible devices. In fact, Sky Gnomes really isn't all that RAM intensive anyway, as most of the graphical overhead is actually the dynamic particle systems (which deals with fill-rate).

Did you read the ENTIRE TA article on Sky Gnomes? ;) We're not ready to comment on anything specific yet (other than that yes, NYZ2 will be our next title after Sky Gnomes), but stay tuned for an official announcement in the future.