Any real disadvantages for an indie dev to publicly sharing sales data?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by JTown, Jun 11, 2011.

1. JTown

JTown Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Independent GameDev
    Dallas, TX
    I'm getting ready to have my first game on the App Store and I've really gotten a lot out of researching how other games did. It was awesome when developers shared sales data and other information to help give a good idea of how a game can do in this market.

I think want to do the same and share sales data and anecdotes about how my own games do but first wanted to make sure I wasn't putting myself in any danger. I can't think of any serious disadvantages except maybe some people thinking poor sales = not worth buying (at the same time, if the information is useful it'd increase exposure by being reposted/linked to).

Anyone have any advice? Safe to share that info on my company's website or should I relegate it to a personal blog? Anybody have positive/negative experiences sharing their sales data?

2. ThunderGameWorks

ThunderGameWorks Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Sure, why not? There is plenty of sales info out there.

We even created a chart of our sales info after Trenches passed $1,000,000.

3. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Can you post a link to the trenches chart I would love to see that.

4. JTown

JTown Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Independent GameDev
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah I skimmed your blog but the closest thing I found was the combined 2 mil mark -- link to chart would be appreciated :)

5. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    i think you'll be fine. The only "danger" is perhaps your direct competitors knowing how bad/well you've done, but even with that information what can they really do?

I post things about the development/design tools I use on my blog and plan to post things about marketing and sales numbers once my game is out there. I think it's helpful information for other devs and startups, and i think sometimes costomers like seeing what's going on behind the scenes.

6. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I don't think the impact is that serious.

7. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    agreed, it's no issue to post your data. the only thing that might be "weird" about it is if you actually very successful (like, very very) then suddenly a lot of people will know how much you are bringing in, and this could affect your personal relationships. The odds of most of us making it into the Top 10 Paid are quiet low, so no worries there :p

8. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    The people you have relationship issues with at this point just make it easier to determine who to remove from your address book and life for that matter. :)

9. Eupatria

Eupatria Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    That's the problem
    Big Apple
    If you have a rather big sale, I think it will help to publicise your game, otherwise, there is no need to emphasize the inappreciable result.

10. ThunderGameWorks

ThunderGameWorks Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
  11. JTown

JTown Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Independent GameDev
    Dallas, TX
    #11 JTown, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
    The sales figures would be accompanied by anecdotal information -- the kind of publicity we got, the kind of marketing we tried, etc. I think the information would be of at least some value to anyone trying to find success even if it's an example of a relatively unsuccessful title.

Thanks!

12. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    That chart is incredibley detailed. Wow you guys are rich!! Thanks for the inspiration.

13. RAStemen

RAStemen New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Software engineer
    Louisville, KY
    I think you should go for it, we've been talking about doing to do the same thing here at Forest Giant when we release our game. In all our discussions we weren't able to think of any way that publishing our sales stats/anecdotes could significantly impact future sales.