3rd gen iPod Touch Perfomance Expectations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by RealRacer, Aug 23, 2009.

1. RealRacer

RealRacer Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    #1 RealRacer, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
    In an attemp to get a back up device & After playing with my girl's 3GS I feel it's time for an upgrade from my 3G.....only AT&T tells me I have to pay $400 for the $200 16 gig because I'm six weeks away from subsidized pricing.

So I bought an iTouch.....but the new iTouches usually drop in September, so I'll probably take this one back.....

At that point after the 3rd gen iTouch launch, I'll make a decision on wether to wait til Oct 2nd & go with 3GS (& keep my 3G as a back up) or go with the new iTouch.

After seeing the 3GS running an average memory of 174, I'm hoping the new iTouch will be running like 200

anyone have any ideas or insight on the performance or hardware of the new iTouch?

Think it will be faster than the 3GS?

2. Doubtful. The Touch will almost certainly have the same CPU speed and the same PowerVR SGX chipset and run pretty much the same as the 3GS with the exception of having fewer background applications running. The highest end model will benefit from more storage space, but that's about the only other benefit I think you'll see.

The amount of free RAM isn't going to make much if any difference, at least not with current gen games; the vast majority of games don't use that much anyway. In terms of stability and performance, the 3GS and G3 touch will likely be almost identical.

3. RealRacer

RealRacer Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    That's what I was coming to aswell. If not faster then at least the same.

Now I just have to figure if I want to spring for the 3GS or the G3 Touch.

I'm trying to get a second device so idont always waste all my battery on my primary (iPhone) playing games.

I was going to upgrade to the 3GS & use my 3G as a game, music & storage. Only drawback is you can't turn off or restore iPhones without a contracted sim. I think they'll just go to the emergency if you do, & after playing games on 3GS I don't want to play them on 3G....so I guess I'll just get a G3 touch & keep using my 3G as just a phone & networking device, & use the Touch for multimedia/gaming purpouses.

Thanks for the input