Is new Dev Handstorm, Inc. spamming the app store?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Dark NRG, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #1 Dark NRG, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
    Ok, what's that dude that just got banned from the app store? Darn, can't remember. I'm just disconcerted because I'm waiting for minigore update and The Deep pinball update, both submitted Aug 6, and THIS CAT is deluging the app store with "Whack a ...." apps. There's like more than 30, and each one has a football, baseball, and basket ball page with basic yellow or orange uniforms of teammates to "whack", with only the name different. AND MOST OF THE NAMES ARE NOT LEGIT/EXISTING TEAM NAMES!
    This is causing a glut in the app approval process, imo uneducated opinion.
    The dev is http://www.handstorm.com/

An example of an app by them is, say Golden Flash http://appshopper.com/games/whack-a-golden-flash
    What's next, little league?

SO, is this the future?? If I do an app, should I go the URL route? Will there be more developers going that Kahsi or whatever that dudes name that got banned's route? Should I put out a version for different names of subjects, or even mispelled names, such as an app I can make called, "Go Steelers!", then make 50 more apps called, "Go Tables", Go Golden hairpins!", "Go Bedbugs!", and even more extreme: "Go Sheep!", "Go Lambs", Go Lamb", "Go lmbs", you get the point, just like what unscruppulous ppl do with Domain Names.

2. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Thats how the App Store works until Apple figures it out. :( So sad to see great games washed away in the blankets of horrible apps *cries*

3. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    Yeah, can't believe how long for minigore, the dev must be going crazy seeing everyone post frustration. I personally feel since Knights Onrush update was submitted and approved in the meanwhile, that Apple is holding Minigore for the September 7th iTouch event for the new units. But would the dev be alerted to that?

4. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    its not just them if you check out app shopper youll find like a bajillion and five travel guides five thousand and seventy kasjillion versions of brainfreeze puzzles and variants of brainfreeze puzzles. to look at new stuff you have to go through like five pages of these crap-apps first. why cant brain freeze pussle come out with one version that supports multiple languages instead releasing a version for each language? i wonder about these things then i realize that i must have alot of free time to be sitting here wondering about such things i think i should go outside and get some vitamin d then i drink some milk which has vitamin d in it so it all works out

5. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    what

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Yeah. I hate those brainfreeze games. Anytime they make an update the Appshopper newest updates page gets flooded with them. I wish arn adds the ability to block specific devs in appshopper.

7. Yeah, it sucks goat weeners, but he's no Brighthouse Labs: Over 2,100 apps on the App Store and freakin' counting, including 30 "Hockey Fans" apps, 30 "Baseball Fans" apps, 125 "iMapsPro" (single city) maps, 204 "ProGuides" apps, and reams and reams more of the same sort of crap.

Perhaps it is a small comfort that Brighthouse Labs do nothing but fire & forget apps and don't go updating everything frequently.

8. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Thought the above was kinda funny ^^

Anyways I use appsniper and also notice these things. I guess that as it keeps uptading appshopper will be more and more like a type of appsniper app on the www (why don't we cal internet the www? puzzles me always using acronyms but internet is too precious to be shortened up)...(sorry for going on to a different topic) So in the future I expect appshopper to let you ban sellers you don't want to see, and if nobody buys their apps my hope and guess is that they'll stop releasing them.

9. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    Dark NRG wrote:
    "imo uneducated opinion"

10. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Yes. The sad part is that they're likely making better money with this crap than most devs that have a few decent legitimate games. It's really frustrating, and they're certainly not the only ones using this sleezeball tactic.

I really hope Apple starts using more common sense when approving stuff rather that just following protocol (they do have a "for any reason" clause and spamming is as good as any reason IMHO). These app spammers make Apple look stupid, and cheapen the whole App Store experience.

11. yep. Scary to think that, given the current stat of over 65,000 apps on the App Store, Brighthouse Labs accounts for almost 3.5% of them. In terms of the sheer volume of utter crap, Brighthouse has Kahlid Shaikh beat hands down -- but that's also because they publish other people's reams of crapps, too. They're basically a clearing house for crapps.

Also, don't be giving them ideas. One of their cronies could be reading this thread, grinning an oily grin and rubbing his hairy palms together gleefully. "Eeeeeeeeebooks, eh? I will give them eBooks. I WILL GIVE THEM THE ENTIRE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS ONE BOOK AT A TIME! WaaaaaaahahahahahURK-- ooh, I think I just wet myself."

12. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    LMFAO!!!! yeah, you're right! 3.5%? Wtf they do before iPhone? Make buggy whips?

@Frank huh, guess that's why there's a Free Market. Don't think that it'll be surpressed anythime soon, tho if you read the news lately about the FCC investigation into Apple, ATT and Google, look how they're all jockeying around: ATT " we had nothing to do with GoogleVoice not being approved"
    Apple "Google Voice is still in review". Dances with wolves, man.
    It's Apples private island, like WoW, they can do what they want.

13. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Err, ya, Apple can do what they want, ergo it ain't a free market. It's Apple's market, and they could stop approving blatant obvious spam, or tell these devs to use in-app-purchase instead of approving dozens of identical apps.

At the very least Apple could group updates far better than how they're currently handling it. The only reason people carpet bomb the app store is to put their stuff infront of more eyeballs - there's zero added value for the end user and every other developer with a release on the same day suffers 'cause someone decided to be a douche. Early on devs would put spaces in front of their app names, or make'm free then paid to gain rankings, or list other apps in their descriptions to get search results - Apple fixed all those hacks, and they should fix this one.

14. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    Great points. Also, Fran or Timo was mentioning about a good fix would be if all the Top App list were in revenue, instead of sales. That would balance the field.