Making the New Games forum more like the app store

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Shaz, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

So at the moment, when you post a new thread you can have a smiley visible next to your thread title.

Could you change the forum a bit so that every new games post has the game icon?

I mean on the index page: http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

At the moment people will be clicking (or not) on a new thread based on the game title and/or number of views/replies.

So many might not bother with a title they don't recognise.

But if the icon was there too, it would be more like the app store. So that might give a slightly better indication of which games will be popular or not.

The reason I mention this is because the forum feedback we are getting for our game is pretty much all very positive. The number of replies compared to views seems similar to any other popular thread - about 1-2% But the number of views is not that high. About 2,500 after 2 weeks. We're new around here so just gradually building up awareness of what we do. So perhaps that's to be expected?

But what I'm trying to say is, based on the feedback we're getting - it seems like we'd get a lot more views and replies if people could see more than just a game title they haven't heard of before.

Also it would help the gamers find new stuff they're gonna like quicker. And help the developers figure out if their icon is good or not!

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I actually thought something like this will be awesome but never thought vBulletin has any such abilities. Does it? Otherwise it'll be probably be too much trouble I guess.

Also there wont be a point in having appstore sized icon. Best they could do is something like this..

[​IMG]

But will that really be practical? I can barely make out what it is.

3. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Hmm, ok, something that size wouldn't be that useful.

I'm not that familiar with vBulletin, but their site says you can have:

Thread preview on mouse-over (optional, via Admin CP)

That could be something?

4. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I think that preview might be limited for text only. This is what TA shows when you keep your mouse pointed at a thread title..

[​IMG]

5. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Thwarted! Well I suppose it would have already been set up if an image preview was possible.

Although having said that... this guy might have a plugin for it
    http://www.behance.net/gallery/vBulletin-4-Inline-Image-Preview-Mod/1720163