lite version removal experiment

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Stroffolino, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I recently (temporarily) pulled the lite version of Card Shark Solitaire from the App Store due to a subtle bug with a new random number generator. The full version doesn't have this issue and remains for sale.

Both the free and full versions of Card Shark have been on the first page of Card games in the App Store for quite some time. I've always wondered if the upsell benefits from having a lite version more than offset those users that like the lite version enough that they have no compelling reason to grab the full version.

The bottom line is that I have no idea if the (temporary) lack of a lite version will help or harm overall sales.

Independent from sales is the possible effect on user ratings. You'd think that having a lite version would help filter out most or all bad ratings, since the ability to "try before you buy" would help ensure that people that don't like an app can safely avoid buying it. However, the "rate on delete" feature of the AppStore also means that a lite version tends to get positive ratings from users that are deleting it as they upgrade - users that may not bother rating the full version.

It's too early to see the full effect, but if folk are interested I'll share findings here when I get more data.

2. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    I recently pulled the lite version of Skeleton Key because it looked like it was hurting sales. For a solid week or so I was making 20 full downloads and about 10 lite downloads. I pulled it for two days, to experiment, and I ended up getting 30 full downloads for a couple days, so I just pulled the lite version altogether.

I think most people who were interested in my game would likely buy it, but a couple of those decided to get the lite version instead and never ended up buying it. Taking away the lite version made it so almost everyone interested decided to buy it, I think.

Of course, shortly thereafter sales dropped a bunch, and now they're hovering around 3 a day... but I think in the future I'll think more carefully about whether or not to make a lite version. I think it's only appropriate to specific types of games.

3. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Thanks for your test!

Stroffolino, I am very interested in what the end result of pulling your lite version will have on the sales of your full version of Card Shark Solitaire!
    Please post the results. I am actually thinking of pulling Str8ts Lite as well!

4. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Micah,

Good thing I have got your attention! Please Please Please....... get rid of the forest setting on Skeleton Key! You have a great game that belongs under ground. Turn the game theme into a pirate game and lets start moving around in tunnels, instead of looking for treasure chests in trees. Please do it !!!! Start today! Did I mention obstacles (traps) that could be cleverly placed in the tunnels!

5. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    Heh thanks! Well I'm waiting for Apple to approve my latest update right now that does just that, sort of. I don't get rid of the forest theme, just make it about 25% of the game instead of all of it. You also play in the caves, on the beach, and on a pirate ship.

I haven't added any new objects or gameplay mechanics for this update, but I definitely might. I'm also planning on adding social networking -- either Agon or OpenFeint (the debate rages on).

6. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I'm curious to hear the results. I know from the way I purchase games, usually if there is no Lite version and the game is only $0.99, I'll just buy it outright. A few times, buying the Lite version has turned me off from the game altogether, which I might have bought if there wasn't one. Obviously based on people's experience with Lite versions, they certain help; however, at lower price points I think they may not be as helpful (besides additional advertising from free chart ranking)

7. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    It's been less than a week, but so far, after temporarily removing the lite version of Card Shark, downloads for the pay version have increased by over 20%. On the category ranking chards, Card Shark is now neck and neck with Cool Moon's single game solitaire games that don't have lite versions.

Since the lite was removed, while Card Shark continues to primarily garner 5 star ratings, it's also attracted a handful of anonymous 1 star reviews. I've received no negative feedback via email nor in the US app store, so it's hard to know what to make of this.

8. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    #8 EssentialParadox, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
    I believe it does benefit certain games to not offer a lite version, but not all.

I think if it's a progressive game genre – a platform game or FPS with advancing levels, which continually varies the kinds of challenge to the player as well as adding new gameplay features - a demo can be beneficial in giving the player "enough" without too much.

But for a procedural type of game, like most puzzle games, or a game like iShoot, I think sometimes a lite version gives away too much of the game and doesn't offer enough incentive to buy the full version.

As an example, I recently downloaded the Free version of Smiles – it's a really fun little game, but I don't feel enough reason to buy the full version. Even though the free version only gives me two gameplay styles from the full game, I can play those gameplay styles over and over. I don't really know what the full version offers, but I don't think I care… I can play these two gameplay styles infinitely, as far as I'm aware these two gameplay styles are the full version and I'm quite happy with it.

Imagine if the original Tetris had released with a lite version which included the core gameplay. Tetris was all about its core gameplay, not any of its additional game styles. I think if Tetris released today on the App store alongside a lite version, the number of lite players would dwarf the number of paying players, because they'd be happy.

However, to remove a lite version I think is most beneficial to those apps that have a couple of specific characteristics…
    – It needs to look good in screenshots
    – It needs to be cheap. Usually I'm against down-pricing, but if you're already priced at 0.99 - 1.99, and you have a procedural game type, you may as well experiment removing the lite version.

Overall I think the biggest problem is Apple won't allow time-limits in lite apps – I think that would be the best solution to demo puzzle games but without giving the user too much.

9. cfreshmedia

cfreshmedia Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Game developer, designer
    Austin, TX
    What is the turn around time to reinstate a Lite version?

So if you remove the Lite version, can you just select to reinstate it at any point? Does Apple have to re-aprove? I wouldn't think so since there was no update to it? What is the turn around time after you choose to reinstate the Lite version?

I might experiment w/ removing Rummage Lite. I feel the Lite does give away too much, even though its only 3 puzzles. It's all the core gameplay. Looking at the OpenFeint leaderboards from the full version, the is a decent decrease in the number of scores posted after the first half dozen puzzles. I have friends that just play the Lite version over and over.

10. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    It did this also some time agon, yes you can just go to edit and reselect all countries then its online again.

11. If you do, let us know how it goes. I've been considering the same thing for Charmed, but haven't pulled the trigger yet!

I am thinking to wait until I get my next full version upgrade out and then release one last update for the Lite version that lets existing Lite users know about the new full version features that they are missing out on.

12. cfreshmedia

Aug 25, 2009
    Game developer, designer
    Austin, TX
    #12 cfreshmedia, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
    I'll definitely wait til my 1.2 update is out...

The other thing I was considering was to add OF support to the Lite version and have a few achievements to give them a taste. I think OF (or some sort of online leaderboard) is so integral in creating a competative environment for puzzle games.

Do ya'll think adding OF support to the Lite is just further shooting myself in the foot?

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    At the very least, if you put OF and achievements in the lite version you will get Zincuous and the OF crowd to try it out (and another link in his well maintained list...)

14. cfreshmedia

Aug 25, 2009
    Game developer, designer
    Austin, TX
    Has anyone put a lifespan on a Lite version?

What about counting the times the Lite version has been played? After the nth time... maybe it would just deliver a message saying to upgrade.

The player could ultimately delete it and redownload it... but then again... if they dug it, even a little bit, maybe they'd go ahead and get the full version vs getting the lite again.

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Forcing people to do this sounds like a great way to get more 1's as the program gets deleted...

16. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    It's also against Apple's rules: the LITE version should be fully functional. Such dirty tricks might lead to your app being rejected or - if not caught during the review process - removed from the AppStore after users complain.

17. SecondAxis

SecondAxis Member

Sep 22, 2009
    This is a very useful insight for us, I think our game 48 might well fit into this category. Because each level can be shuffled differently it's not really like you're playing the same level again, there is lots of replay value in just the two levels we provide in the lite version. Furthermore, it is actually a very challenging game so maybe people play a bit and then put it aside for when they have more time/available brainpower and then forget about it!

Sales have been very low anyway but since the lite version has been approved there have been no sales whatsoever! So now we are very seriously thinking about removing the lite version entirely. But since our full version has very little exposure without the lite version we might have to wait till we do an update. So much to think about!

-Mike

18. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I don't think it'd get rejected if it was only a nag screen. But yeah, if it stops letting you play the demo at all I bet that would be a problem.

19. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    It depends. Apple stated clearly: you should not upsell to the paid version. A "Buy full version" button with the possibility to restart the lite version is ok, but you should not force the user to buy the app.

20. championsoftware

championsoftware Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm thinking about posting a lite version of Stunt Driver because we could definitely use the exposure, but then again I'm also worried it might just kill sales. Unfortunately, since our game is getting almost no exposure, I might not have a choice.