Egglia: Legend of the Redcap Online Connectivity Requirement Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ColeDaddy, Aug 3, 2017.

1. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Egglia: Legend of the Redcap Online Connectivity Requirement Discussion

"- The game requires a data connection to play, so please enjoy in an environment with data reception."
    Bummer

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Wow I was right about to buy it but online only? That's a huge disappointment. I guess I'll pass on it sadly..

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Also *sigh* on the required connection. Pretty nonsensical for what looks like a good non-F2P RPG at a cheap pricepoint.
    Putting it on my backburner for now.

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I want to message them on FB and ask why but it doesn't seem like they're active on there too much. Though I'm sure they'd just give pretty standard responses.. It's just I'm so disappointed right now.

But if you don't care about online only games, give it a go! Tell us how it is. I need something to get over my disappointment :(

5. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Yeah I don't understand- there doesn't seem to be any multiplayer or online specific functions to explain this.
    So, why online only?
    I'm worried for the dev because it's such a beautiful game but they are shooting themselves in the foot with this...

6. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    #6 ramzarules, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    makes premium gorgeous rpg with a ton of gameplay elements impressing a lot of people
    makes it online only
    loses buyers
    *eh*
    EDIT: i would not be at all surprised to find there are IAPs for special characters- timers- cosmetics. Otherwise, why make it online only?

7. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    #7 raravan, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    there are nothing like that in this gem. just an online requirement.

8. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Thank you for replying Raravan. Still, i personally refuse to "rent" a premium rpg in case they decide to discontinue the services etc. If they ever make it offline, i'm buying instantly.

9. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    it's a bit of bummer for sure, but i really can't stand the well made JRPG.

10. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Should have been a instabuy but going to wait and see with the required Internet.

11. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    All digital media that isn't DRM free (including your entire iTunes library) technically isn't yours.

It sucks, but it's true. At one point or another, online requirement or not, there's a huge chance Egglia is going to either temporarily or permanently cease to function. Whether it's an iOS update, another huge appocalypse in the future...whatever. I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on apps in the last 8 years, but have learned to delete, delete and delete things I don't play and/or need anymore. If this looks like something you'd like, spend that 10 bucks, enjoy the hell out of it and keep it around until it either breaks or you lose interest. It's no big deal.

If all of this annoys you...I dunno...PC gaming on GOG exclusively perhaps? Everything these days on Steam and console has some sort of functionality that is going to #### up at some point (season passes, DLC, yada, yada, yada) and it's a reality that I absolutely hate, but have come to accept.

12. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Huge names i can feel sure behind, like Blizzard, Sony PSN, Steam etc i am all for buying digital content. Because if any of these shut down suddenly, the world will be seriously effed. Big-medium-small devs/ publishers, their server shut down is not a stranger any more. Disney, Dena, 2K, to mention some big. Squeenix (Bloodmasque and Guardian) and the list can go on.

But let's not turn this into a personal debate on DRM, i will stop here. The game looks gorgeous and well made, and i wish well to all who will enjoy it - and i will too, if i can ever play offline :)

13. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Man it is so true this game looks amazing. Also so sad that it is online online would buy it without second thought.

14. Lunacy182

Lunacy182 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    I'd get this right now if it wasn't for apples stupid 100mb limit over cellular. Let me use my data how I want to Apple.

15. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Going to pass for now too I'm already looking at losing a ton of games that arent 64 bit compatible this fall and online only could disappear at any time I'm sick of wasting money on games that have no defined shelf life and can disappear off that shelf at a moments notice.

16. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    The online requirement is a disappointment. I guess due to piracy it seems like the Japanese companies always want to do the online always route.

Stinks, as I'm frequently off the grid running trails / camping, and traveling for work on long flights.

Wish they would've used a different solution.

17. Talaen

Talaen Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I think it is fair to try to understand the rationale on internet requirement, even if it is just to limit piracy.

I'm looking forward to any early impressions, and will likely pick this up tonight (although tough to pull away from playing Breath of the Wild at home).

18. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Probably due to the timers with the harvests that is why it's online locked look at sims freeplay..if it didn't have ANY timers it would be offline playable was a instant buy till I found that it's like super Mario run and 10$ for a wifi locked game.. wonder does super Mario run have timers?

19. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    the timers are nothing since you have plenty to keep you busy in the meantime also you can earn (and they are not hard to come by) an item that kills the timer and sprouts it immediately
    i promise it's not an issue and this game should never be mentioned with Sims FTP which is a total rip off thats just the truth as this is a premium game

20. Dema9o9ue

Dema9o9ue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 16, 2015
    Insta "watch list"! #