Platformer Favorites:

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iPad-meister, Nov 7, 2011.

1. iPad-meister

iPad-meister Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I'm a pretty big platformer fan and just recently finished off Soosiz, which definitely has to be one of the most Mario-like games around. Outside world of goo, it may be the only true 5-star iPad game I've played through.

Anyway, I've also played just a little bit of Giana sisters (awkward controls) and Frogatto. Have looked a little at Rolando and Bounce on as well. I'm semi-excited about Emberwind but I've read that there are a good bit of crashing issues that need to be resolved.

Anybody here have any other recommendations that maybe I've missed?

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    League of Evil
    Pizza Boy
    Mos Speedrun
    Meganoid
    Stardash
    Run Kitty Run
    Robot Wants Kitty
    Commander Pixman

There are more but those are the unfinished I have.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I've got a few !

In my 'best platform' folder i have...

Super World Adventures
    Pizza Boy
    Elemental Rage
    Pix'n Rush
    Platform Hell!
    Bean's Quest
    Mos Speedrun
    League of Evil
    Storm in a teacup - (Love this game)
    Commander Pixman (Another classic)
    Meganoid
    Stardash

Also have Emberwind but isnt that the one with crazy controls in the middle at the sides not at the bottom ? Thats totally put me off it i must admit

Run Kitty Run is very good as is Arcade Jumper. Cordy and Roboto another two good uns as is Blib Blob

4. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    There's also Bring Me Sandwiches (great!) and NyxQuest (haven't played yet but heard good things).

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Oh yeah Cordy and Storm in a teacup are awesome too! And eBoo kinda, tho SiT is better.

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Here's my favorites:

Miss Claire Garden (Defintely one if the best platformers out there)
    Chocorun (a really good and challenging Super Meat Boy-like)
    Mod Speedrun
    League of Evil
    Commander Pixman
    Pizza Boy
    They Need To Be Fed
    BlooKid
    Stardash
    Meganoid (another one of the best, IMO)
    1-bit ninja (there were some complaints about this one, but I felt it was good, just depends on you)
    Super World Adventures
    Adventures of Timmy Run Kitty Run, (I've heard this one is good, but haven't been able to play it yet due to a bug that makes it crash)

And... I hope I didn't forget anything! Hope that helps!

7. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    What are some of the better NON-RETRO ones?

Don't get me wrong, the retro platformers are good, but they all seem to be the same to me, and games like Roboto and NyxQuest are worlds more fun to play and, obviously, to look at.

It seems like %80 of the platformers that are out there, and being developed, all have the retro theme. I am just not a big fan of them.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Why ? Its all about the gameplay, a game might have stunning graphics and not 'retro looking' but the gameplays poor.

Mario Land has stood the test of time as its such a playable game regardless of 'older' graphics on the SNES or even mono Gameboy.

Storm in a teacup then ? That has very nice graphics but combines that with great gameplay

But theyre platform games, dont think you need stunning graphics for these

9. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Bring Me Sandwiches. And I agree that Storm in a Teacup is very good, though it is VERY floaty and not everybody likes that. There is a lite version though, so you can check for yourself.

10. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    #10 Ghouls'R'us, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
    Max & the Magic Marker is not a pure platformer, but still a nice mix of it with "Crayon Physics". A quality & polished release that originally comes from Nintendo's WiiWare store.

Robot Wants Kitty looks kind of plain but hides a stimulating experience behind its meek looks.

Archibald's Adventure is sort of similar to RWK in its level objectives, but offer more variety in yours actions and tasks. There's a strong puzzle element to the level layouts which must be figured out in the correct order.

EDIT: Bring Me Sandwiches was a nice surprise for me. I was initially skeptic and so waited until most "pro" reviews came out before making up my mind. I'm glad I went for it, even though there's still no native iPad version.

11. iPad-meister

iPad-meister Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I've noticed that some iPad platformers require pixel perfect jumps while others (like my favorite so far, Soosiz) have excellent controls and movement seems more timing related than pixel perfect precision. In other words, I like a challenge, but I don't like an insanely difficult challenge.

I'll definitely be checking out some of these recommendations. But feel free to keep the suggestions coming!

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    You might not be so keen if you're from outside the UK but two very very famous UK platformers have also been released a while back for iOS...

Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy. Yes very basic graphics (Hey these were early 80's games with only 48k) but excellent platform games specially Manic Miner. For many kids born in the 70's when computers arrived in the early 80's games such as Manic Miner were legendary and bring back many great memories.

Also Miner 2049er was released a few weeks ago, you can go for the original retro look (Atari style graphics) or updated graphics. Again these games are platforming classics.

13. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Miss Claire Garden.

Great graphics, even better gameplay.

14. iPad-meister

iPad-meister Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Wishing there was an ipad version. Not sure I'll go for it otherwise...

15. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    My favorites are:
    Frogatto
    Shantae ("metroidvania"..so don't know if you count this as pure platformer)
    Edge/Edge Extended (puzzle/platformer?)

I like games like LoE and such..but I need to be in the "zone" to enjoy these..otherwise I die too much. lol..

16. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    So you will be playing on the iPad? NyxQuest is a very zen platformer. Great music. Visually superb. Not very challenging, but calming nonetheless. And has an exploratory element where you have to find hidden relics. If that sort of a thing works for you.

17. iPad-meister

iPad-meister Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Yeah, I've played through NyxQuest on the wii. It's a pretty great game. Simple, but charming. Haven't played the ipad version yet.

I've honestly been spending a decent bit of time with Archibald's Adventures recently. For better or worse, it's a pretty decent puzzle-platformer. Soosiz continues to be my favorite ipad platformer to date, however.

18. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I'd definitely recommend Raccoon Rising (vertical platformer) and Katana Jack!

These are both outstanding games.