Mass "What Should I Get?" Thread (2012 - 2017)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zincous, Dec 25, 2011.

?

What device to get?

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. iPod Touch

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. iPad

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. iPad Mini

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Hey guys,

The old mass thread which is now two years old got very large, and we thought it was time to create a new one and get a fresh start.

To control the amount of threads being created, all asking the same question, this is a general mass collection of "what games should I get with my $___ gift card?".

Mods will be linking to this thread and locking any thread created that falls into this category or they may just merge the new threads into here. Feel free to report any threads that need to be locked and linked or merged to here

So recommend games you guys would suggest to people, or ask which games would be good for you and list out your guidelines for genres.

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    #2 crex, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
    Woah! It's almost as if a new era has begun here on TA..... Let the games begin!

Let me kick it off by asking what are the best Unreal Engine games?

3. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Gyro13, Epoch, Combat Arms: Zombies (looks great but I haven't been able to play because of a crash issue on iOS 5).

Btw, the start of a new thread seems purtty insane, I haven't been here all that long but I can just imagine the history in the old one.

4. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

So, what should I get?

5. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Alright, thanks. I will look into those.

Bacon. Can't go wrong with bacon.

6. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Wow, I agree with crex: start of a new era indeed!

I am thinking of getting Sid Meier's Pirates for the ipad and Pulse : Volume One. Any objections to them? Also, I have 2 dollars left. No idea what else to get...

7. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I would snag up Anomaly right now while it's on sale if you don't have it yet.

8. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Haha, I made the first page!

What's up everybody!

It's definitely been a good year for iOS gaming. We've taken the good with bad, and hopefully 2012 will be promising!

It's been a pleasure, but now I have to get some rest before Christmas officially starts at my house (about 6 hours).

9. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    It's been two years? I thought it had been only one...jeez I've been here a while.

*sob* such good memories with the old one; however, this ought to be good.

10. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Hit me with your best shot.

2nd gen, 4.1 compatible.

Not interested in zombies xP

11. r2ks8x

r2ks8x Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    those good 'ol memories btw

what's the best Flick game for ipad?

12. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    About time the old thread retired. Definitely spent a lot of time there though. Lots of awesome convos, heheh. 23,593 posts and 1,410,287 views later, it's finally been closed. Most popular thread on TA of all time. Let's continue the good work here in this one.

13. RaptorF35

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    I've always liked these, my favorites in the category and made by the same dev, pikpok.

Flick Kick Football
    and
    Flick Kick Field Goal

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Woah! Definitely came as a surprise!

Anyway, I only got an opinion from Goofy so Terra Noctis or LostWinds. I like retro, but I also like the look of LostWinds. I like virtual buttons, but gesture/tilt/swipe buttons often work for me.

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #15 Echoseven, Dec 25, 2011
    I've got both but only played Terra Noctis so far, and it's very, very well-made.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying it's "one of the best platformers I've ever played", but it's definitely very good. I had no problem with controls or anything silly like that.

LostWinds I still haven't got the time to play.

Also am I crazy for not liking Crazy Hedgy that much? I mean I like the aesthetics and level design and the skin, but the gameplay is absolutely nothing special...

16. IDrinkWater

IDrinkWater Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm looking for a good rpg game.. Any to recommend? Been looking at aralon and crimsonheart, but would only plan to get one first..

17. Innovalias

Innovalias Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Hello all. Pretty happy to find this thread. I was blown away by the size of the old one.

So I got an iphone 4S a few weeks ago, and after alerting my immediate/extended family, the itunes gift cards have been coming in droves. Right now I have just over $30 on my account. SO....

What should I get?

Have: Infinity Blade I+II, Superbrothers, Zenonia, gta3, LostWinds, Pocket God, Scribblenauts, CrystalDefenders, RAGE HD, Real Racing 2

I'd really like to find a virtual pet app similar to the old digimon/tamagotchi style handhelds. I'm a PC/Multi-console gamer, so my tastes are broad.

18. RaptorF35

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    #18 RaptorF35, Dec 25, 2011
    Mage Gauntlet is the best you're gonna get, but if you're looking for more of a first person RPG, Aralon is the one to get.

First of all, welcome to Toucharcade! I hope you enjoy it.

Here are a few suggestions:

Kinectimals
    Epoch
    Anomaly Warzone Earth
    Sonic CD
    Mage Gauntlet
    Jetpack Joyride
    Dungeon Raid

Little tough determining what to suggest since there are literally a million apps, albeit most are crap.

Decided I'd take a look at how much people posted in the old thread.....WOW

19. Innovalias

Innovalias Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome, and the prompt response. Sonic CD was one of the first games I played on the PC, so I have been interested to see how well it translates. I'm downloading Mage Gauntlet right now, it looked fairly entertaining. I'm loving LostWinds.

20. RaptorF35

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    Christian Whitehead (the guy behind the Sonic port) is a hero, he put a bunch of love into that game, it works beautifully.