How can I backup my games if I want to reinstall windows?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sportbettor, Dec 6, 2010.

1. sportbettor

sportbettor Member

May 25, 2010
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I could not figure out a better one.

I have about 690 games. About 600 installed on an ipod touch. I am going to reinstall windows. I realize i can reinstall those 600 games from the touch when I reinstall itunes. But I would like to get all 690 games. Is there a folder somewhere with all the games where I could just copy and paste it into itunes and have all the games?

Getting the playlists and podcasts would also be nice but not all that necessary.

Again, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but any help is appreciated.

2. loewenherz

loewenherz Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    go to My Documents --> My Music --> iTunes --> iTunes Music --> Mobile Applications
    All your apps should be there, but I don't think you can just copy and paste the folder. Once you reinstall windows, you have to open the *.ipa files and they'll be added to your iTunes

3. sportbettor

sportbettor Member

May 25, 2010
    ok it was in a slightly different folder but i found it. So all these ipa files wont just automatically appear if I copy them into a fresh install of itunes? How do I open them?

4. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    You don't need to open them. You just need to put them in a safe location, and then after you've reinstalled Windows & installed iTunes, you need to open iTunes, go to the Apps section (not under your iPod Touch/iPhone) and drag the IPA files there. And just like that - Bam! You're good.

5. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Simply back up the entire iTunes folder on an external device (this includes everything in iTunes, like music, apps, movies, settings, playlists, books, etc, but you will have to manually add any epub/pdf file into iTunes afterwards to refresh the books tab), reinstall iTunes, then put them back in the exact directory of where it was found before. iTunes will automatically detect those ipa files, you don't even need to individually install each ipa.

6. sportbettor

sportbettor Member

May 25, 2010
    Ok, I actually did exactly that except itunes didnt automatically find them until I pointed it back to that directory.

However now when I want to synch it wants to erase everything on my ipod even though all the games are in the library. As sick as it is I spent the better part of 2 days sorting the games by catagory into folders. Any way I can save the folders I have? Im guessing not.

Actually I should say that its a different computer also. I only had a 60g hd and the apps are like 40g so I decided to use a different computer.