Is jailbreaking killing DropZap 2 with one star reviews in the App Store?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by amichail, Sep 14, 2011.

1. amichail

amichail Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Check out the slaughter:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dropzap-2/id378977964?mt=8

I have reasons to suspect that jailbreaking is responsible for DropZap 2 v2.1's freeze and subsequent crash on launch reported by some users.

I would appreciate it if you would give DropZap 2 v2.1 a try and let me know whether it launches properly on your device, what the device model is, whether your device is jailbroken (and if so, how) and which iOS version is running on your device.

To preserve privacy, you might wish to send me a message instead of replying here -- especially in the case of jailbroken devices.

2. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Link doesn't work, and can't find it in the app store. I would download it to try and see, but I can't. Sorry dude. :(

3. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Works fine on a iPad 2. But how can you review an app if you never bought it? Jail broken or not I believe they bought your app if they left a review. So maybe work on a fix?

4. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    ???

You can buy apps even if you're jailbroken...Not all of us jailbreakers download cracked apps.

5. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    To be honest the OP was worded confusing. I too thought he meant were jailbreaking pirates rating his app poorly until I re-read it a few times to understand it.

I think the question he meant to ask is:

If you have a jailbroken device does DropZap 2 work?

6. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Are the crash reports showing up in iTunes Connect? Are you sure it's jailbreaking thats causing the issue?

I would check this out before blaming it on Jailbreaking. Unless of course you can replicate the issue on a jailbroken device, which would make fixing it even easier (i.e. JB your device to test n fix the issue).

7. amichail

Nov 13, 2009
    #7 amichail, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
    Anyone encountering freezes/crashes on launch willing to try out ad hoc build variations of DropZap 2 to help me identify the problem?

8. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    is this US only?

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I've been playing it on my iPhone 4 without incident so far. I'm not jailbroken.

10. Kedest

Kedest Active Member

Sep 5, 2011
    iPad 2, iOS 4.3.3 original, never jailbroken
    Game seems to be running just fine

11. amichail

Nov 13, 2009
    No, but it is not in all stores either.

12. GnarKill

GnarKill Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    UI Engineer
    Bay Area
    Im using iOS beta 5 most current version. So far I've not crashed while playing it. I personally have never implement Game Center, so not sure how the implementation works but have you added in a check for make sure the current version supports it? I noticed it just auto logs in when the app starts.

13. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Using iphone4, not jailbroken, and everything is fine.

14. Hi,

I tried it out and it crashes for me. It locked up my whole phone and I had to do a hard reset as pressing the home button wouldn't work.

I was testing on my iPhone 4 which has iOS 4.1 installed on it. My friends had a similar issue with their game using iOS 4.1 when it tried to connect to Game Center. In that case they had been testing with 4.3 and it was fine but 4.1 crashed it.

Hopefully if you downgrade to iOS 4.1 you should see the problem and at least you don't need to jailbreak your phone to see it crashes.

Hope that helps you fix the issue, if it does please download ColdSpell to say thanks :)

Helen

15. amichail

Nov 13, 2009
    #15 amichail, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    Your device is not jailbroken? (For privacy, you might want to send me a message with your answer.)

This problem happens with some other iOS versions also, but I would be interested in learning more about the Game Center issue you describe. Do you have a link I could look at?

16. Corvec

Corvec New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.3.3. Since DropZap is free at the moment, I downloaded it and tested it out (briefly). I was able to play a few games without it crashing.

Jailbreak Apps I have installed:
    • Cydia
    • Action Menu
    • Activator
    • Barrel
    • BrowserChanger
    • FBPhotoSave
    • FolderEnhancer
    • FreeSync
    • Iconoclasm (disabled)
    • LastApp
    • Lockdown Pro
    • ManualCorrect
    • Navigate from Maps
    • SBRotator (disabled on Springboard)
    • WeatherIcon
    • Winterboard (Transparent Dock)
    • SnapTap
    • biteSMS
    • Cyntact
    • Five Icon Dock
    • iFile (Unregistered)
    • iSHSHit
    • MultiCleaner
    • MultiIconMover
    • PkgBackup

It's possible some other common jailbreak app is causing a conflict, but it doesn't seem to be any of the ones I have.

Send me a PM if there's anything else I can do to help.

17. amichail

Nov 13, 2009
    If you disable Game Center, does the problem still happen?

18. Hi,

No my device isn't Jailbroken, so I'm guessing the problem might not be with people with jailbroken phones but the iOS they are running on it? I don't know nothing about jailbreaking a phone but maybe they use an old iOS (like mine - 4.1?)

I tried logining out of Game Center and I get the same crash, I also turned off Wifi, 3G and Celluar Data and still it crashes.

I'll drop my friend an email and see what the 4.1 crash fix he used was...

Helen

19. amichail

Nov 13, 2009
    The crash on launch also happens on iOS 4.2.x btw, so perhaps this is not related to the Game Center problem you mention. (But I would like to know about that problem anyway.)

It might be that loading stuff on launch sometimes takes longer on iOS 4.1-4.2 for some reason?