Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 03-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

They've taken "Facebook" to whole new level, and planted it on your head!
Old 03-28-2014, 08:59 AM
iPad Air 2, iOS 8.x

The Instagram purchase made sense and I hope they with improve the hell out of it because the entire service is a joke. I just hope the oculus rift purchase has nothing to deal with data mining.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:47 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Oh, so this is where the cool people hang out? I should drop by the Lounge section more often

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
The bigger question is what does it mean for Kickstarter? You "invest" in a project and then in the end they might sell the tech to Facebook (or whoever) for big bucks. That might put a damper on future kickstarter tech projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I agree two companies really died with the announcement, Oculus and Kickstarter the damage to both is probably fatal.
"Invest" and Kickstarter don't belong in the same sentence. It's not an investment. You're not investing in a company. You're donating and getting some nice reward in return. Sometimes, that reward is the actual product (which essentially makes that donation a pre-order), sometimes it's more or less. Kickstarter is built on trust and ideas; that you believe in the potential of the campaign's idea and want to help make it a reality.

The Kickstarter was for the development and production of the original dev kit. Everything that has happened since, has absolutely nothing to do with Kickstarter. Without that support, without that initial push, Oculus and VR tech in general wouldn't be where it is today, and we wouldn't be discussing this.

Look at this way: This acquisition just cemented Kickstarter's validity, if it wasn't valid already. A Kickstarted project grew in potential and promise to the point that it was bought for 2 billion by Facebook.

And why would Oculus be damaged by this in any way? Gaming is only a small part in what VR is capable of and its potential to revolutionize certain fields in the future. Without the power and funds and support of a major company like Facebook, Oculus wouldn't have the means to meet those demands if they truly wanted to make the Rift available for more than just a niche group. With this, they now have all the resources they need to be able to build, test, ship, expand, hire, research without worrying about financial or manufacturing roadbumps.

Last edited by Bronxsta; 03-30-2014 at 02:55 AM..
Old 03-30-2014, 06:52 AM

I'd agree you're only backing an idea, there's no investment. However I do think if I'd made incredibly good money due to that support, while under no obligation, I'd like to think I would 'donate' something back to initial supporters.