Universal Godus (by Mobage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 16, 2014.

1. cobriendubs

cobriendubs Member

Nov 10, 2012
    big +1

2. stooney

stooney Well-Known Member

Somewhere here I read, that after unlocking the last (?) beacon, the one with the 300 ore, all followers died and he had to start over.

Has this only happened to a single person or multiple times?
    Or has it been resolved?

I am ready to build this beacon, but I am a bit afraid that I might lose everything as well ...

3. stooney

Update: After upgrading to iOS8, Godus forgot my progress and started a brand new game.

I don't know why I even played it for so long, but now I am done with it.
    Molyneux has once again proven whan an incompetent loudmouth idiot he is!

4. ikelleigh

ikelleigh Member

May 5, 2009
    iOS 8 update wipes all civilization progress but keeps all of your card progress. I was progressing pretty far and if I have to start over, I'm done.

5. stooney

I found this on the 22cans support site:

So they knew that it would not work when everybody and their mother would upgrade to iOS8.
    Yet, not a single piece of info, no heads up.

I am officially done with the frenchie and his crappy games.

6. yojimbo

yojimbo Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Godus update out. Seems to work fine on iOS 8. And, they finally fixed the bug where you can't build the expansion beacon because it's underwater. Nice to know that I can now expand again. They haven't yet implemented the "colonial era" or whatever the next stage is, so there's still a major lack of things to do. No threats at all and very little strategy.

7. grelb

grelb Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    New Zealand
    Same for me. I updated to iOS 8 and lost my many many weeks worth of progress.

It booted back at the start, and I was able to RECOVER SAVE once, but the next time I launched it it was back at the start again and I can no longer recover save.

8. jesse_dylan

jesse_dylan Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2014
    I don't think I'd mind about the paywalls and stuff, as I'm patient, but I couldn't even get past the intro because of the controls. I ended up drowning my two follows while trying to "sculpt" them a path. Not fun. The controls are too fiddly. Maybe I need a tablet.

9. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Update out, camera 360 degree rotation holy crap! Also a whole new map to explore and more factions and stuff and whatnot. Fantastic update!

Oh and Halloween event is in progress.

10. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Voyages have been redesigned. You can see all the rewards for the voyage across the top of the screen. As you play through the event and gain score points you unlock the rewards. Also you don't choose how many followers you send, it's a fixed count depending on the stage. Also, there are no more timers, you three star based on your speed and follower survival, star rating determines score towards overall voyage.

11. yojimbo

Jan 23, 2013
    Yes, just exploring the new world now. You get a whole new set of cards, different abilities etc to unlock. Your old world still exists, and you can go back to it (haven't tried this yet though). Your stickers carry over from the old world, but ore, wheat, and belief don't. It's an interesting idea, a kind of reboot in a way. I'll have to play more to see whether these new features introduce interesting new mechanics, or whether it's better balanced than the homeworld is (i.e. the homeworld forced you into a pay/ grind wall fairly early on, but then you eventually got more belief/ wheat/ ore then you knew what to do with).

Is Godus about to become good?

Glad that you can rotate the camera. If only they'd let us zoom out more....

One thing I noticed, from working on the first beacon: in this world ore actually gets consumed.

There's some really interesting looking stuff in the hidden areas of the new map though.

12. yojimbo

Jan 23, 2013
    Ok, impressions of the new world.

It's a desert environment, where you can only farm on special green, verdant tiles, and you can only mine on grey tiles. So initially at least there's a very tight bottleneck on wheat and ore, especially since this time out, ore is actually consumed. You have two expansion beacons, so you have a choice of branching paths. Try to expand into an area that has empty farm fields in the greyed out area, as that indicates a verdant area that you can farm, and initially, wheat is going to be needed more than ore.

I would say the balancing is just as bad as the home world. I'm back to waiting several hours, playing a short burst, then waiting more hours. I understand that a freemium title needs some kind of paywall, but I don't know why they place it so early in the game.

There needs to be more to Godus than just trying to defeat the paywall. At the moment, that's still the only challenge, the only part that is actually a game. This new world reshuffles your resource priorities, but otherwise it's more of the same.

13. Pheebers

Pheebers Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Another change I've noticed, one that's definitely unwelcome, is that when you place a village your farmers become available one at a time. In other words, if you place it before bed and expect to wake to several, you'll be disappointed -- the next timer doesn't start until you've tapped releasing the first farmer.

Also -- the loading times are long. If you're going to design something that requires people to come back repeatedly throughout the day, don't require them to sit forever staring at the loading screen. FWIW, I've got an iPad Air and a very fast internet connection. It's not me.

14. yojimbo

Jan 23, 2013
    Yes it takes hours for the farming settlement to create new farmers. The last few take 23 hours each. The mining village however only takes a few minutes to create miners. Not sure what's going on there.

One plus point, so far treasure chests seem much more common in the new world, and they seem to be deposited by lightning strikes. Later, there are two cards, one to increase the frequency of lightning storms, and one to decrease it. I wonder why you'd want to decrease it? Lightning can set things on fire, but the fires go out fairly quickly.

15. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Is this worth checking out now? I've been avoiding this game so far. Did the update make it more....fun?

16. yojimbo

Jan 23, 2013
    I'm not sure, it depends on whether they've rebalanced the home world. My experience was, you'll have a blast for an hour or so, then run into a horrific pay wall. Whatever you do, don't spend any real money, as the resources are priced horrifically high. If you wait the pay wall out 48 hours or so, checking in for short bursts every 8 hours or so to pick up your belief, wheat, and ore, and if you manage your resources properly (make sure every field or mine is built on the largest square you can build), you'll get to the stage where you are producing more resources than you can consume, and you won't have to worry about having to spend any money.

At the moment though, only the mini-games are actual "games" in the sense of there being a chance you might fail. As a whole, Godus is an experience rather than a game, as there is no adversity as such other than managing resources. I'm still hoping I'll meet a rival, jealous God at some stage.

I am enjoying the new world they added though. For people playing through from the start, I imagine you'd have to get fairly far through before you'd have the option to leave the home world as it takes a lot of resources to build the ark.

So, yes, it is basically one big ladder, but with some intriguing surprises and nice touches along the way. I just have no idea why they desecrated the entire thing with a brutal (but, eventually, ignorable) pay model.

17. Gmr Leon

Gmr Leon New Member

Oct 22, 2014
    #457 Gmr Leon, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Hey guys, I'm more of a Steam regular than mobile person (especially since this game isn't out for my mobile OS of choice), but since the versions are so similar right now, I think my concerns might be shared here.

Instead of copying and pasting the post in question, since its rather long, I hope you don't mind my linking to it. Here's the thread in question (see below) for those interested. Feel free to respond in the thread there, if you also use Steam, but if you don't, I've also posted it on the Godus subreddit (see below). However if you read it and would like to keep discussion here, I'm also up for that, but I can't say how attentive I'll be to these forums initially.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/232810/discussions/0/619568794052545831/
    Steam thread.

http://redd.it/2juw5y
    Subreddit thread.

18. stooney

After the release of iOS8, my almost finished first world was totally gone and it started at the very beginning again.

I simply forgot to delete the app and when I checked back a couple of days later, my world was magically resored to where I was before and so I continued playing in the new world after I built the ark.

This went on until yesterday. Suddendly on startup I get the message that my world could not be found and I should log in either with FB or Mobage.

Problem is, I am running the NZ-Version since the softlaunch and it never asked me to log in before.
    There was no update of the app since, at least not in the AppStore and nothing on my iPad has changed.

Even if I would create an account now, surely it would not contain my world?

Any ideas?

19. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    It wiped my world weeks if not months ago also.

Called it quits. Hack of angame anyway.

20. yojimbo

Jan 23, 2013
    Well, I finished weyworld. Unlocked all the expansion beacons anyway. The more extreme landscape added a fun extra tactical element to how you sculpt the world etc. There still needs to be some form of adversity though, other players, rival Gods, natural disasters, anything. They have a really nice flowing water mechanic, why not implement flooding, force you to leave rivers in place rather than flattening everything into a monotonous monoplane? It reminds me of that other world-sculpting "game", where they decided that they couldn't gamify it, so just left it as a kind of demo of an engine. godus is a great engine, waiting for an actual game to be placed on it, despoiled by timers/ monetisation.

I'm going to give it a rest until the next major update hits.

What they should do is implement a "speed up time" slider, 2x, 5x, 10x etc, like Populous used to have, and have it as a one-off paid for upgrade. That way people can choose to have a freemium experience, rather than a timers/ grinding/ pay-to-play one. Are you listening, Mr. Molyneaux?