business of Apple is getting worse compared to previous a few years is a good thing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by klarence, Dec 17, 2012.

1. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if Apple goes bankrupt someday, it would cause a lot of troubles for IOS users.
    but it's not gonna happen in the near future as we can see.
    So I think for now Apple market value is shrinking is a good thing. as long as the Apple can't invent or introduce something new and attractive, it has to be less stubborn.
    so we get different size IOS device this year.
    when we gonna get offical controller? for me, touch screen control is more than ok, but the controller could turn my iOS device into a real gaming console.
    if I can just connect my IOS device to TV, then I can play cooperative or competitive games with my friends and family by some controllers, I would be more than happy.
    the power of new gen IOS device makes me can't stop imagine these things, the resolution of Ipad is more than ok for TV display, and the power of it can run most of family-friendly games and some decent games without a flaw.
    Ipad 4 still can't reach AAA graphics in nowday's standard, but it's decent enough for current generation.

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
  3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'm just after reading an analyst is predicting Apple's stock may drop as low as $60 next year. Of course that means absolutely nothing as anything could happen and there are always scaremongers but it does point to Apple's definitely been losing reputation and court cases lately.

Personally while I think apples days at the top are behind them I do think they have the ability to turn it around.

My own opinion is I think their going wrong with their war against Android/Google it's tainting them as being unable to compete fairly and their also taking foolish decisions because of it an example being the whole Apple maps.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #4 JBRUU, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
    Apple maps did hurt their reputation as "it just works" and "we polish everything so much before you see it - that's why it takes a while" quite a bit.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Apple is still making record profits every quarter and has many billions of dollars in reserve. Their stock price will not drop to $60 in any forceeable future, as that would put their price to earnings ratio on negative territory (meaning that the stock would be worth less than the company has in cash). The world in which Apple goes bankrupt will give you many more pressing issues to worry about than your iOS device (for example, which garbage can will provide you with your next meal).

There are basically two companies making money in the mobile market: Apple and Samsung. Google makes little or no money from the Nexus line; Microsoft loses money handsomely on Windows Phone, and Amazon's overall loses are dizzing. All those companies have price to earning ratios that are way, way higher than Apple, but get buy ratings from the same analysts who are downgrading Apple. It makes little sense, and, frankly, it's not something that rational people should worry about.

6. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Just repeating this http://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/apple-inc-aapl-reasonable-likelihood-of-a-60-stock-by-2013-16221/ it's not my opinion I just happened to read it before posting.

7. Yeah, apple needs a wireless joystick and sd card / hard drive support.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It did get Google to upgrade the map experience on iOS, which they had refused to do till Apple gave them access to your personal information. In my book that's a big win for Apple.

9. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Not really Google offered them turn by turn before but only if they would put the Google name inside the app, Apple refused. Now Google have everything they originally wanted.

Maybe a win for both sides depending on how you look at it but I think Apple have really suffered a lot more for it.

10. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    mobile device is really powerful now, android users already enjoyed their PS3 controller for a long time.
    it's such a waste for not turn the device into a gaming console.
    the passenger model of TDKR is actually better than a random soldier of current dynasty warriors game, in fact it almost as good as a general.
    TDKR is lack of dynamic shade effect, but the ipad version has more pixels than a console game.
    and it's still far from use out the power of A6, we can easily know the power of mobile device nowdays is capable of current gen games. for some games, it may still looks like a somehow shrinking version, but should be decent enough.
    and it's much easier to access, you do not need to power on and power off the machine every time you use it and it's faster at loading, and you can take it anywhere you go.

11. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

There have been 10,000,000 downloads of Google maps since it became available. That's 10,000,000 people not using a native app. Since I'm sure Apple won't let Siri be integrated with GMaps, the voice navigation will be contained with GMaps. While it certainly isn't the worst thing to happen, Apple can't be happy about it.

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    That post (my own that you were responding to) was worded extremely poorly.

What I meant was that Apple has, for the past 20+ years, had the reputation of cranking out products that were very, very well polished and refined. The features just oozed quality and they were easy to use and almost always worked. Then came along Siri, which they admitted was still in beta/incomplete, yet they included it in the 4s. Not a big deal, but worth taking note of. Then the maps debacle comes along. They decide to completely buck off Google, Youtube, maps and all, and implement their own map system. People expected a polished product as usual, but it turned out to be buggy, often incorrect and a huge downgrade. That, in my opinion, really hurt the reputation that they've spent years building up. Just my 2 cents.

Now will it cause the death of a giant? Of course not. There is no viable alternative to the AppStore and iOS ecosystem. That is the lifeblood of iOS devices, and something no one can reasonably dispute.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    You are incorrect. Google wanted a default data sharing set up and an default sign-up to your Google account. Google doesn't care whether their name appears on the app: what they want is the personal data, which is how they make money (by targeting advertising). Apple refused to do that under the Apple brand.

Now Apple has their cake and get to eat it, too: they preserve their user-protection brand position, and they get high-quality Google maps. When I downloaded the app and got the prompt to log in to my Google account, I knew exactly who is prying into my private life -- it sure wasn't Apple. I am also sure that Google is not getting other information from me like call logs.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I don't disagree -- there's a reason why Apple fired the head of the map project.

15. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Not quite correct.
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/06/08/why-no-turn-by-turn-maps/

16. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Well I do know Google collects data from cell towers, wifi access points etc but Apple does as well I believe it's to help with the skyhook style of gps, also I wasn't forced to sign in on the new maps app I just skipped that.

Apples paid a very heavy price in my opinion in both stock value and reputation, the whole thing could probably have been avoided pretty easy if they weren't determined to make Google an enemy.

Going to leave this thread alone now as it's bit of a danger topic.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Google and Apple have different business model. Apple may collect data, but doesn't use it to target advertising. Their business is selling devices; their customers are the end users. Google makes money by selling advertising. Their customers are advertisers; their product is our data. I'm not saying that either company is more altruistic -- they're both in the business of making money and do so very, very well. Personally, I prefer to be the customer in a business relationship, rather than the product. Others are willing to sacrifice their privacy to get quality free services.

Considering their contrasting business models, it's not surprising that they would come to blows over the map app. Location -- knowing where we go and how we get there, is both valuable data, and a core piece of what we consider private information. You can't fault Apple for drawing the line there. Where they screwed up was in the implementation (which is also where their reputation took a hit). I don't think it was an issue of choosing to make Google an enemy; in any event, Google chose that path much earlier when they entered the mobile market.

BTW Not sure why you think this is a "danger topic."

18. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Ah only because I have a more negative view of Apple recently than most people on this forum and I'm trying to avoid annoying anyone to much, guess I've just read about one lawsuit to many.

Despite that though I'm still considering a new iPod if the dock situation for the new connector improves, I still find it useful for a few tasks and have a lot of apps I'll lose otherwise.

19. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    SD card slot on all apple devices, pronto.

Doesn't really have that much to do with the topic of the thread, but couldn't hurt pointing that request out loud. :)

20. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Slave to the public education system
    Right behind you, with the machete raised
    I totally agree with that last point. The only reason for fixed space on iOS devices is for Apple to force consumers to spend the extra $100 on a memory upgrade.