Rotation Preference

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DirkRugged, Aug 17, 2009.

?

Which way do you prefer the rotation of the iPhone

1. Home button on the left

17.4%
  2. Home button on the right

71.7%
  3. I really don't care

10.9%
  1. DirkRugged

DirkRugged Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Games Designer
    At the moment Calgary AB, Canada
    When a game is played in landscape how do you prefer the rotation of the iPhone? Do you like the home button on the left or right, or do you even care?

It seems like developers are rotating both ways right now, why do you think one way is better than the other?

2. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I absolutely want the home button on the right because when I have my USB cable plugged into the phone, it is far more comfortable to have that in my right hand than in my left.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Headphones dig into my right hand when playing with the home button on the left! :( (2nd gen iPod Touch)

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Home button on the left for the same reason. Both my devices are iPhones

5. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    lol this is why we have to have the optionto turn it the way we want...i don't mind the headphones being on the left

6. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Home button on the Right, period!

Explaination:

I have an iPod touch 2g, the headphone jack is at the bottom right.
    If the orientation gets the Home button on the right, the headphone jack is now at the top right.

if the Home button were to be on the left, I could not use my left hand to play as the headphone jack would be on the bottom left.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This, although I rarely use headphones anyway... but if I ever do I'll expect the Home button to be on the right.

8. DirkRugged

Aug 5, 2009
    Games Designer
    So after playing Wolfenstein 3d for a bit I think I've decided that I prefer the home button on the left. The only real reason for this is that when my home button is on the right my right hand covers the speaker.

I like that ID thought to make the orientation flip, by using the accelerometer.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Flip using accelerometer is annoying. Sometimes with games like Defender Chronicles I want to lay my iPhone on the desk while I play, causing it to flip upside down automatically just because it "thinks" it's leaning the other way slightly.

10. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    God I hate flip, its so annoying evertime I watch a movie, play a game, read a book, and select music

11. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    The flipping gets annoying in safari D:

12. DirkRugged

Aug 5, 2009
    Games Designer
    Actually that's a really good point. Maybe the way to go about it is an option in the settings menu for a game.

13. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Home button on the right please. Mainly coz I use a leather case which flips back and connects to its own back. I then slide my left hand`s fingers between these two layers, which provides me a good single handed grip of the iPhone.

Best choice for u will be to add an option to rotate the screen either way so that everyone can use it the way they like.

14. stnsn

stnsn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Def on the right, but not because of the headphones, cases or anything... It just feels wrong when the home button is on the left...

15. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    #15 spiffyone, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    This is a silly topic.

Best bet is to have a "rotate screen/flip orientation" option.

Why?

Because the headphone port is placed differently on the iPhone than on the iPod touch. On iPhone it's on the top left hand side of the device when holding in portrait mode with the home button on the bottom, on iPod touch the port is on the bottom right hand side when held in the same manner. What happens if you only have one landscape orientation option is that inevitably you have owners of one device happy but leave the owners of the other type of device struggling with having their headphone jack jabbing them in the hand.

So, again, this topic's question is friggin' silly. Which orientation is preferred? Depends on which device you own. And as both devices are supported by consumers desiring games, you should support BOTH landscape orientations. Again, rotate screen/flip orientation as an option is an absolute no-brainer for iPhone/touch games and apps of all kinds, IMHO.

That's why developers, the SMART developers, have both ways as an option. Both devices are targeted, and they want to make ALL consumers, regardless of device owned, happy while playing the games.

16. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    BTW, the poll should have "Both; selectable orientation option" as an option for which to vote.

Also, playing sans headphones is not optimal for some games (the speaker on iPhones is not all that great), particularly those using positional audio. Besides which, on 1st gen iPod touch devices, of which there are millions out there owned by consumers, there is no speaker. It's strictly headphones only.

So, again...best option is to have both orientations supported.

17. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    Home button on the left. Otherwise my hand covers the speaker when the home button is on the right...

But there should be a choice.

18. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    +1, my phone feels upside down when the home button is on the left