There's a new reviewer in town, and I'm taking requests!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by legowiz, Oct 14, 2010.

1. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    #1 legowiz, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
    Hey everybody, I recently had a great idea of something I could do that I don't think anyone else has done before. I have lots of great games on my iTouch that simply haven't gotten the love they deserve.

So, I'm going to start recording app reviews and posting them on youtube. I'm new at this, so they may not be groundbreaking yet, but I shall do my best. Now, I'm gonna start by making some of my favorite games just to get started. But, I will be taking requests from anyone that may be interested in a game but not sure if they want to lay down the dough.

The catch: I'm not rich, so if you suggest a game that I don't currently have (and I have a lot), I may not be able to buy and review it, unless I can start getting some kind of compensation. So, if I respond and say that I don't have the app already, you can always gift me the app to review or give me a promo or something. Now, this wouldn't make much sense if you are considering buying the game yourself, since you could just use the money to buy the game, but, if you are a developer that simply hasn't had the love you think you deserve, feel free to gift me your app or send me a promo code and I'd be happy to make a video of it, unless I think making a review would actually hurt your sales ;) (itunes gift cards are always welcome too, but I'm not trying to make money, I'm just doing this for fun!)

I hope you guys are intrigued by this idea and will participate. I am a college student however, so if I don't get a review up immediately, don't panic, it just means I haven't had the time. What I would like to see happen is, if you have a request, comment on this thread with it and I will post on the thread whenever I add new reviews and will PM you when the review you requested is up, sound good?

Let me have em!

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Okay - then show us your skills! :)

3. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    #3 iphoneprogrammer, Oct 14, 2010
    Yeah NO ONE has EVER done video app reviews and taken requests for them. This is a totally new spectum of the iDevice culture that has yet to be tapped into. Congratulations you have now become the founding father of app reviews.

:p just kehdeng.

4. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    "- Don't post advertisements for your website/blog/podcast/youtube-channel on the site. (signature links are acceptable within reason). Self promotion is strictly prohibited."

You should really put this stuff in your sig. Otherwise it seems like an interesting idea.

5. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    I'm not promoting anything, cuz I'm not trying to make money. I have been wanting to do review requests for a long time, but just recently figured out how to do it. I'm not trying to make money, so I don't see the problem. The point is to give the opportunity for the community, if they have a game that they are unsure of, to request a gameplay video or review to be made to help them decide whether or not they want it. The request for compensation was simply allowing for more possibilities, otherwise I will be limited to what I already own or already am interested in buying, that is all. If this still breaks the rules, then there is something seriously wrong with them. All I am trying to do is use my free time to help.

6. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
    He is not really promoting any site, blog, youtube, podcast ect. It seems as though he wants to put these reviews in the "User Reviews" Section of Touch Arcade. As an expert on self promotion (what with getting in trouble numerous times and being in time-out a lot) I dont see an issue with this. If he was like "OH I am a new reviewer, check out my site for the newest reviews! [link]" then there would be a problem.

7. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

#7 jak56, Oct 14, 2010
    i'm pretty much all for this, though legowiz, what do u get out of this? as i see it, you'll have to buy quite a few apps, many of them being quite sucky (perhaps) and you'll have to post a vid about it.

sure, i am ALL FOR THIS. but is it really worth it on your side? ofc, if you dont mind spending the cash, go ahead! i'll be watching em vids :)

EDIT: pleez ignore mah noobishness. i see you'll be reviewing the old, done over apps.

8. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    basically, if someone requests a review for a game I already have, I'll review it, if they request a review for a game I want or am interested in, I'll probably review it. It I get a request for a game that I'm really not interested in, or it looks like crap, someone will have to gift it to me or send me a promo code for it for me to review it. I'm not planning on spending a ton of money, although I will be getting a few gift cards from beta testing, but it's mostly for the older/lesser known games. That's why I'm inviting devs to suggest as well, cuz if they have a game that isn't getting much attention, I'm open to reviewing them if they will give me a promo code or something. I won't really be getting much out of it, but I kind of enjoy writing reviews for games anyway, so I think it will be fun.

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Well here's your first request! I see from your sig that you have Pizza Boy. A review of that would be cool.

10. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    will do! I love the game and would be happy to do a review. It will be my first.

11. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Do Final Freeway and Rogue Runner!

12. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
  13. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
  14. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Dude, get a review of Phoenix Wright or N.Y.Zombies. Both games that couldn't use more positive feedback (although I think the former has quite a bit as is).

15. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Your like "Free App Man" a joke. Seriously stop.

16. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    This thread's been here for a day. Give him the chance to do this. He could be the next arn. I mean, that's going too far but you get the point. ;)

17. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    I'm not real interested in Final Freeway, but I do have Rogue Runner. I'm finishing up a review for Pizza Boy and once I'm done with that I'll get to work on a review for Rogue Runner. It's a pretty fun game!

18. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
  19. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    Well, I don't have Phoenix Wright, but I do have N.Y.Zombies, in fact I beta tested it, and it's quite good. Give me a little time though, as I've also got homework to do, but I'll see what I can do today.

20. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I find it funny how your doing games only your interested in. Yet your suggesting people suggest games to you. A true reviewer would play a game no matter how bad it is and review it honestly.