Geo Defense Strategy

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by WOW_GEE, Feb 22, 2009.

1. WOW_GEE

WOW_GEE Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    I've played around 5 levels of Geo Defense, and i must say im really impressed. No TD game has caught my attention since field runners, and this is a nice, well done change.

I've also noticed that this game is by no means easy, and i wanted to know what kind of strategy some of you were using to beat the harder levels.

the gameplay video showed putting the blue towers along straightaway paths and then scattering a bunch of green towers around corners and whatnot; do you guys put a few towers and upgrade them to make them more powerful or do you put a lot of towers to cover more ground?

2. riceman360

riceman360 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    it depends on the enemies. if it's a long line of fast moving enemies, then multiple low level towers is good. if it's spaced out heavier enemies, then leveled-up towers are good.

3. Hobbes

Hobbes Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I do it in like waves... Use my money on a few blue laZers on a straightaway or two.. plot some others... Then I upgrade pretty high, tens save ip for another "burst" of towers...

4. Lasers along straightaways -- if possible placed at both ends and upgraded 3-4 times. In conjunction with cannons it seems to work really well, but the balance is sometimes hard to find. It seems best to place them along the straightaways closest to the start position to weaken them for the cannons and rockets. Zappers to slow them at strategic points is also helpful.

5. WOW_GEE

Jan 2, 2009
    what i don't like about the lazers is when the enemies get past them they follow the enemy and then they have to turn again when the next wave comes and sometimes they miss altogether.

Also the missiles miss every once in awhile too, so i try to position them closer to the track

6. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    The missiles miss if their target is destroyed before the missile hits. At some upgrade level the missiles gain a targeting computer which allows them to change targets midflight.

The lasers turning when following targets is just something that must be taken into account when placing them.

This game is devilishly clever, my favourite at the moment. Currently am stuck on medium level 2, the more the game keeps beating me the more I enjoy it :D

7. Blaqkie

Blaqkie Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    I think that definitely a lot of smaller towers works much better when spaced around the map in two's. Lazers somehow never do justice for me, even when I have them placed on a straightaway.

8. Moog

Moog Active Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I found that placing lots of separate towers usually works better than upgrading just a few.

I was stuck on Easy 6 for about 20 attempts, I then changed strategy to place loads of lower powered towers and almost breezed through it and then the rest of the easy levels using the same strategy.

9. Man of Mystery

Man of Mystery Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2008
    texas
    so far i've beaten all of easy and medium3-8, and what i do mostly is just put 2-3 blaster towers in the beginning with one vortex, and then put 3 or 4 missile towers and upgrade them all the way (or to lv6 depending on the map) and keep adding missile towers, and then during the last couple waves when you get tons of money i place as many missile towers as i can and upgrade them, if possible

10. WOW_GEE

Jan 2, 2009
    Also how do the multipliers work? I saw on the devs blurb that getting higher multipliers is something that he wants us to figure out, but how do you get a multiplier in the first place? Just by killing creeps? Because sometimes I see a big like 10x flash when I kill a creep

11. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Laser towers are best placed at the start of a straight so it doesn't become un-aligned once a creep passes the corner. At the moment I am really stuck on the 8th medium mission, the pipe one. I've tried everything but lasers aren't great because there aren't straights you can put them at the end of. The best tactic so far was spamming bullet towers but they still get past.

Here is a screen of me finally beating medium 3.

[​IMG]

12. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    All I know is that you get a higher multiplier if the creep is closer to the end when it gets killed. You get x20 and x50 when it is close. I think it's probably just a way to exponentially increase your score as time progresses.

13. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

#13 marlenedegrood, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    I've been stuck on Easy Level 5 (The Beat) for days. Seems like I've tried every configuration with no luck. ANY HELP? PLEASE.
    Thanks!

Update: So a friend told me how she beat the level. Lots of missile towers near the beginning and a few lasers. I thought I needed shock towers but you don't so I was wasting my money.

14. Jmburton

Jmburton New Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Help!

Easy lvl 6 Shoulda Zagged..
    Medium lvl 2, 5, 8,

these lvls are kicking my ass ive tried them over and over. can someone give me some tips on these lvls lol

15. No Hero

No Hero Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    just a general tip, build the missile tower to level 6 (the red one) the last update level 7 sucks compared to level 6
    Level 6: smaller range, faster shooting
    Level 7: Larger range, slower shooting
    the two supposed pros of level 7 just suck as the missile just loops around, and by the time it hits, the level 6 tower would have done more damage. I used many of these to beat last hard level which I guess is the hardest (which I did skip to)

16. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I love this, a game that makes the final upgrade make the gun worse, this dev is getting inside your head!! :)

GeoDefence is so utterly tormenting... must go play now!

17. nsxdavid

nsxdavid Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Multipliers (from the Dev)

You get a x1 multiplier each time you kill a creep. If there was no way to get a higher one, then you'd always end up with the same score when you won (assuming no creeps got through). But, fortunately, there is a way to increase the multiplier...

Once a creep gets very near your home base, it's multiplier bonus goes up... as high as X50 for killing it at the last last last possible moment!

This can impact how you set out your towers. If you are in it for maximum score... you'll take extra risk trying to kill things near that last little bit of path....

-- David

18. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    At first I thought the scoring being backwards: why reward killing the creeps later? Logic says the faster you get rid of the enemies the better. But by reversing this everyday rule in scoring the game hits one of the master strokes in geoDefense. The risk involved in bonus multipliers means that the high scores can always be bettered - there is no way anyone will ever reach the absolute zero of perfect score, as doing that would require to get every creep killed right at the exit point.

Compare that to another TDs like Creeps: once the max score has been reached there is no incentive to play that map ever again. Ok, reaching the perfect score will be hard but it is possible nonetheless. Of course getting to that solvable high point is a target in itself but I think the asymptotic way of nearing the max score in geoDefense works better by giving an infinite challenge.

Hmm... Does this make Creeps a game of skill and geoDefense a game of luck/risk ? :O

19. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    All I know is that with most TD games, each time I play a level, I roughly do as well as I did last time. Geo Defense is so frantic that due to the speed which I can physically do things and my concentration level, every play is different.

Great, great game.

20. nsxdavid

nsxdavid Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis, MO