Big Fish Games - favorite puzzle/adventure?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bunger, Apr 25, 2011.

1. bunger

bunger Active Member

May 26, 2010
    #1 bunger, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
    I am a big fan of Big Fish Games adventure/puzzle games, but their quality/level of play seems to depend on the specific development studio.

I loved Haunted Manor and Amazon, but thought Big City and Puppet weren't as good. I also am having a hard time getting into Drawn. I've tried to play that game twice and can't seem to embrace it.

Just curious what others thought and if there are any others that are as good...

Bill

2. Pete the Geek

Pete the Geek Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Math Teacher
    North-Western Ontario
    I just finished Empress of the Deep on iPad and I thought it was very well done.

3. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I have them all. You would probably like the two other Hidden Expedition titles, Titanic and Everest, since you liked Amazon. Civil War is also excellent. Actually, they're all good. Rainbow Web is an excellent match-3 game but unlike others of the same type.

4. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Drawn is the best game out of the lot for me.

5. Richham

Richham Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Big Fish Games - favorite puzzle/adventure?

did I play this game in my laptop ?

6. joehunt

joehunt Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Big Fish is a game portal and releases games produced by other developers. They do have a few titles they develop themselves (like Drawn and the Hidden Expedition series).

My favorite games of this type are:

Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials
    Twisted Lands: Shadow Town
    Mushroom Age
    The Mystery of the Crystal Portal 1 and 2
    The Stroke of Midnight
    Samantha Swift.

All of the above games were released on the iPad by their developers (and not by Big Fish).

7. bunger

bunger Active Member

May 26, 2010
    Great thread - hopefully we can keep it going.

I have played Everest, but didn't like it as much as the others... they definitely are hit and miss based on the development group.

Also Joe - thanks for the added suggestions. I just bought Midnight Mysteries at lunch and so far it looks pretty great!

8. Accessorygeeks

Accessorygeeks Active Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Life quest

Life quest is pretty addicting.
    It is an RPG with real life like goals and plans. Buy your dream house, car, clothes. Kind of like Sims, but for mobile.

9. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    loved mushroom age, quite entertaining, good lot of mini games in it too

10. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    This has nothing to do with Ipad

11. Fe1

Fe1 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Bill, I've bought all of them, even if I haven't actually played all of them YET. I'm not sure why I save them for some later date, especially if prices go down. It may be a testament to my acquisitive nature.

Quickie impressions:

- Big City Adventure: NYC: Childish.

- Amazon, Everest, Buckingham Palace: I loved BP, whilst the other ones are decent efforts. The visuals, however, are stunning.

- Nick Chase: Good in-game puzzles, but insipid storyline.

- A Witch's Curse: Inventive overall, good graphics, decent time frame of play, but too girlie (I say this as a woman).

- Empress of the Deep: Is it me, or am I the only one who didn't like this HOG? What blurry graphics, and QUICK. I finished it in a day and a half, and I'm slow. The only thing to recommend it, in my eyes, is that it's very polished.

- Puppet Show: Currently playing it. It's okay. Reminds me of Murders in Rue Morgue by Big Fish, too.

- Drawn: Me too! I've tried twice to start it, but it hasn't "taken".

- Awakening/Ancient Spirits: They're squirreled away, as yet unopened.

I'm not sure why the best HOGs don't make it to the iPad. Big Fish have tonnes of them, all far better than any currently available on iTunes.

12. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I agree. Big Fish pretty much has every other day a new HOG game.
    I can;t stand it playing on the PC, but on my Ipad, I'm loving it.
    Got them all also, including all other companies, except for the cheesy ones.

13. Fe1

Fe1 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Best HOG out there, for the iPad. The opening scene with the witches dancing around the fire was the very first game I opened on my brand-new iPad, back in the day. My reaction was a literal jaw-drop.

Just opened it today. Will post impressions later.

Liked it a lot.

My favourites, other than Salem. I just like the two kids, and the quirky storyline, plus the puzzles are good.

Liked it a lot, but was quick. Also, the title page "Stroke of Midnight" showed up each time one finished a particular scene. It really slowed down gameplay.

Bought it, but haven't as yet played it.

14. Fe1

Fe1 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    I also have Hidden in Time: Mirror Mirror HD, but haven't played it yet. Or maybe I have...all these "mirrors" confuzzle me!

15. bunger

bunger Active Member

May 26, 2010
    Fe1 - it sounds as though we have similar tastes in games and seem to dislike some of them for the same reasons.

One of my biggest annoyances with some of the games is the navigation system and how easy/hard it is to determine where to go and what to do next. Some games do this very well and others seem to leave me fumbling around trying to understand what the game wants me do.

Have you tried Haunted Manor yet from Big Fish? I enjoyed that one quite a bit... mostly because it has great navigation hints. :)

16. Fe1

Fe1 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Great! You know, I never played HOGs before I got my first iDevice. It seems to be the perfect medium for these types of games -- that kind of tactile sensuality which is the iPhone/Touch/iPad's raison d'etre.

To that end, I appreciate the arrows and maps. But for some reason, the glowing sparkles annoy me.

You know, funny, but I was just reminded of this thread when I checked Appshopper's sales (as I do nightly around this time), and saw Haunted being advertised as "New", selling at USD 9.99 for the full game. I had bought it when it was "full" too, but then I saw another one where one could buy it as an IAP.

So that makes three versions of the same game, that I've seen. Wonder why Big Fish and others are doing this?

17. bunger

bunger Active Member

May 26, 2010
    I think they started doing the IAP model once Apple more or less forced everyone down that path a month or two ago. Prior to that, developers released a Lite version and then a second version to buy. I like the IAP model better.

18. bunger

bunger Active Member

May 26, 2010
    Just finished Witches - it was fantastic!! Am now moving on to Crystal Portal...

19. joehunt

joehunt Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Midnight Mysteries Salem Witches is one of the best iPad games.

Another one I liked is A Witch's Curse: Princess Isabella (released by Big Fish). Nick Chase was also fun.

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials and I haven't been able to get into it. The visuals are blurry and I find it hard to find the items, not because they are well hidden, but because they are incomprehensible blurs. I'm running it on an iPad 2. Mind you, I'm not a hidden pictures expert. Maybe this genre just isn't for me. The game I've most liked so far is Time Geeks: Find All HD. That game is fun, but it's more like Where's Waldo then these other games.