★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How do i "close" games on my new 3g S?

07-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
How do i "close" games on my new 3g S?

Ok, i've had a touch for a while and i close my games by holding down the button (instead of just tapping it) for a few seconds, on my 3g S it goes to voice recognition. I know things kinda start locking up when you dont close your games, so how do i do this now?

Thanks!
07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
...You tap the button once.

Games, games, games..
GameCenter ID: GkCHN
Add me! :]

07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
i dont think holding down the button works anymore. it doesnt work on my touch, so maybe it just fully closes when you press it once, i guess...
:/

Playing: Chopper 2, Pocket God, Minigore, Battle Bears-1, Doodle Jump, Tilt to Live, SuperMega Worm
Plus+: J3553 | Feint: J3553H | Crystal: J3553 | Gameloft Live: J3553
07-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by llb33 View Post
Ok, i've had a touch for a while and i close my games by holding down the button (instead of just tapping it) for a few seconds, on my 3g S it goes to voice recognition. I know things kinda start locking up when you dont close your games, so how do i do this now?

Thanks!
Same as with the other iPhones/iPods, you don't need to hold the button down for a few seconds, just click it.
07-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Third party apps such as games always quit when you tap the home button. Only Apple apps such as Safari and Mail stay in memory.

A couple things -- The 3GS has 2x the memory so that memory issues should be much rarer.

And to force quit an app under 3.0 (you should only even need to do this to Safari or Mail), hold down the power button (top right) until the power off screen comes up, then hit the home button to force close the app and dismiss the power off screen.

Cheers,
Jeff
07-14-2009, 09:03 PM
No you guys don't get it, he force quits every app when he's done to preserve memory usage. On the 3gs you hve to hold down the power button until the slider comes up at the top, then hold down the home button until it force quits.
07-14-2009, 09:06 PM
the OS does not allow multitasking unless you jailbreak. applications are 'quit' when you hit the home button. it doesn't seem like it because 98% of them save their state as they are quitting and resume there when you come back.

the problems come from:

1) memory leaks (from buggy software)
2) other resource leaks
3) memory fragmentation
4) "background" OS processes like push notifications, tower changeovers, etc.

Your ipod/iphone needs to be rebooted periodically to deal with these problems, just like a PC.

Now Playing: , Civilization Rev for iPad, Hero Academy, Sonic Racing, Kingdom Rush, Dungeon Raid, Where's my Where's My Water updates?
07-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman919 View Post
No you guys don't get it, he force quits every app when he's done to preserve memory usage. On the 3gs you hve to hold down the power button until the slider comes up at the top, then hold down the home button until it force quits.
thank you sir, that worked i believe, thanks for all the replies!
07-14-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm very confused... You can't close apps with the home button on the 3gs?

back
07-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by writingsama View Post
the OS does not allow multitasking unless you jailbreak. applications are 'quit' when you hit the home button. it doesn't seem like it because 98% of them save their state as they are quitting and resume there when you come back.

the problems come from:

1) memory leaks (from buggy software)
2) other resource leaks
3) memory fragmentation
4) "background" OS processes like push notifications, tower changeovers, etc.

Your ipod/iphone needs to be rebooted periodically to deal with these problems, just like a PC.
I believe that response deserves one of these responses sir.
+1

I CAN'T WAIT TIL THE NEW IPHONE AHHHH I WANT IT SO BAD I'M PRETTY SURE I'M THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD WHO STILL USES THE ORIGINAL IPHONE 2G.