Glad to see Universal Apps

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JamesDean69, Dec 3, 2010.

1. JamesDean69

JamesDean69 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    There has been a bunch of new games and apps released lately which have been universal. I really hope this is the beginning of a trend. Its really refreshing to not have to buy the same game twice in order to have it on your iphone or ipod and on the ipad in HD.

2. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    mixed feeling on that, on one hand it IS nice to be able to have the option to play something on both, on the other, I personally find it a joke to want to play anything that i can enjoy on the ipad (in HD) on the tiny screen of an ipod/iphone.

plus i hate itunes shoving every universal game onto both devices, especially with the above mindset. i wish there was an option (i know, apple isn't about options) to just say 'universal builds only sync to ipad'.

i think a universal build is more of a convenience for the developer (if it actually is) in terms of only keeping track of one build/app, rather than two, and maybe two demo builds/etc.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    In terms of marketing and sales, it's actually a hindrance for developers: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=67511

4. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, it's nice to see this happening. As long as devs arent losing any mint by doing so, I think it's great.