Universal Transport Tycoon - (by 31x Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I paid full price and love it, at this price it's a steal..

2. caracturus

caracturus New Member

May 3, 2013
    Still $6.99 as of post.

3. personary

personary Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Yep, been checking all afternoon and price drop hasn't appeared for me either.

4. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    It went back to $6.99 15 minutes ago according to the TA app.

5. FivepastTA

FivepastTA Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    No price drop in the UK as far as I could tell. Methinks somebody fat-fingered the wrong button somewhere...

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    $2.99 in Oz right now so I grabbed it, Ha.

7. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    And now it's back to $2.99.

8. chk1975

chk1975 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I decided to buy the game when it was on sale although I wasn’t blown away with the free version but wanted to support the developers and hope this game is a success so someone gives us railroad tycoon and rollercoaster
    tycoon on ios.

Really put some time and effort in the full game and I can honestly say that after all those years (also played the original on pc back in the day) I finally get it, this game is awesome!!!!
    It is difficult to get into and really understand the game mechanics but when you do the game is wonderful and will give you hours and hours of enjoyment.

Here are my tips for this great game:

Practice and really try to understand the building and terraforming mechanics. This was for me the hard part and the main reason I didn’t like the game at first. For example I always had difficulty with building in the
    mountains but I finally realized this: If you are building a railroad in the mountains and you want to climb a hill 4 squares high, you have to start with raising (effectively building a bridge) of your railroad 4 squares in advance and your rails will nicely
    align with the top of the hill.

When you start and want to transfer passengers with a train, your only option is building a station on the edges of a town because you don’t have loads of cash and the town won’t let you demolish buildings. My problem
    always was that the town would grow really slow.
    The solution? Build roads around your station and connect your roads to the roads of the town. New houses will only build next to a road!
    This really opened up the game for me and my biggest mistake for all those years.

Trams in a medium to big town are a nice way to generate a nice steady income, make sure your stations don’t overlap (10 squares between tram stations will do it).
    If the town is big enough for 3 or more stations then build your tram line in a loop, put a tram on it without any orders and it will nicely stop at all stations in the loop.
    When the stations get busier just ad another tram to your loop.

Do you want the town around your train station to grow even faster? Build a tram loop around your train station (an don’t forget to build those roads!!!) even when there are no houses just make a tram stop, eventually
    houses will be build and moving around passengers speeds up the growth of your town. Make sure your tram station is NOT connected to your train station, you don’t want trams to take passengers away from your train.

Coal is the highest paying commodity in the game.

Later in the game when you have more money don’t be afraid to redo your network with bigger stations, tunnels, bridges.

When you have money and want to add a new town to your network you can build a high bridge in your town so you can build a station in the middle of a very busy town. It is also possible to build underground but that is
    much more difficult.

When you upgrade a train make sure to check if you can also upgrade the cars, in the beginning a coal car can hold 20 tons later on coal cars holding 30 and 40 ton come available.

Hopefully my post will help someone understand this great game.

9. chk1975

Jan 9, 2011
    So I have been playing the hell out of this game the last week, completely addicted.
    Have been playing through all medium scenarios and learning all the time, so many choices to make.

I now have finished all the medium scenarios (yes including aerophobia and yew island, finished yew island with still 9 years left
    #) and starting on the hard campaigns.

Some more tips:

When building train tracks try to get them as flat as possible, even a powerful train slows to a grind when fully loaded going up a steep hill.
    If a track is completely flat a small engine from early 1900 can pull 200 tons at a reasonable speed.

The maximum length of your station is 14 pieces, when building a train make sure it is never longer than 14 required station length (with 25 ton cars my train is mostly 13.25 long)
    The train will load faster if it isn’t longer than your platform, but more importantly if it is longer it will screw up your complex multiplatform stations.

Mines are like cities, transport a lot of coal or ore and the production will go up. Then haul even more from that station and production can really explode, how does 3000 ton a month sound?

When production is above 400 tons a month it gets interesting build a double line.
    But do not build 2 separate there and back lines, join the lines in a loop and make your station RORO. (Google is your friend if you need help with this).

In your loop you want to place one way direction signals, to guide your train clockwise or anticlockwise.

Place loads of signals in your loop, personally I take a train place it on the track put a signal in front and behind it, then move the train past the front signal and place another signal in front and so on until the
    loop is completely filled with signals.

This ensures 2 things:
    Your loop can hold lots of trains (I already have loops with 8 400 ton trains)and your trains will never crash because when there is a holdup every train will stop for a signal and has enough space to stop.

But that is not all, 8 trains in a loop with a single load and single unload platform will do you no good.

So we need to build multiplatform stations.
    I had a lot of problems getting the multiplatform right but I figured it out.
    The entrance to a multiplatform has to be perfect to work if it isn’t perfect it will not work and your station is not used optimal. , the exit is less important.

This is how you build it:

You have to enter a multiplatform in a straight line!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to build a 3 platform station you will need 5 pieces of straight track before the start of the station, off course the station itself needs to be straight also.
    On the first track piece you build a signal.
    The second is your junction, you have to use the special track piece available from the train track building menu, the left then straight or the right then straight piece.
    These piece ensures the correct working of your multiplatform station and your platforms will be directly next to each other.
    You can place a left straight and a right straight on the same starting track piece.

On your middle track the third and fourth track piece are just normal straight, the fifth is a normal straight with a signal. (and the sixth will be the start of your station)

On the left and right platform entering lines the third track piece is the corner and the fourth is the straight piece of your junction.
    But remember this is not a normal straight piece but part of the junction, if you place a signal here the signal will be on the junction and not on the straight piece ruining your multiplatform station.

So the fifth piece of your left and right platform entering line is also straight piece with a signal on it.

Make your platforms the maximum length of 14 pieces and place straight piece with a signal on it at the end of all three platforms.
    How you join the three lines after that to enter the loop again is up to you.

ALL signals are one way signals.

Loading takes much more time then unloading, so if you build a three platform loading station a two track unloading station in that loop is sufficient.
    Put some trains on this loop and get rich!

Planes can make you good money and give you a high performance index but cost a lot of money to build airport and planes, so I didn’t find them very useful to finish the medium challenges, maybe I need them for the hard or the
    expert levels.

So that is it for now, hopefully somebody reads this enormous post and find it helpful.

10. Repair Drone

Repair Drone Well-Known Member

That's a lot of solid wisdom from chk1975 - if you're just skimming this thread for dev posts, scroll back up a bit and have a read :)

11. Repair Drone

We've got a major content update for you today, get stuck in and tell us what you think!

Solo Scenarios

A whole new category of scenario, without AI competitor companies or time-sensitive goals. Plan and grow your transport network over decades or even centuries, without pressure from competing businesses. We've added ten Solo scenarios to start with: five brand new maps across a wide range of climates, plus the five classic "real world" maps - UK and Ireland, Swiss Alps, and the three American maps. All games begin in the early 20th century, so your actions will have maximum influence on the growth of the world.

Music

The 2014 Sessions - a fully reworked and remixed soundtrack by John Broomhall, creator of the game's original music. Toggle between the classic soundtrack and The 2014 Sessions in the Options menu.

Tips

The loading screen now displays tips, giving gameplay advice and pointing out helpful shortcuts and lesser known features of the game.

Enjoy!

12. chk1975

Jan 9, 2011
    Awesome news!

Will try the new solo play this weekend.
    Gonna build a nice complicated rail system transporting as much different cargos as possible.

13. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    The solo scenarios sound good, I was hoping something like that would be introduced. Hopefully I'll get some time to try them out soon.

14. Repair Drone

Here's a quick crosspost from this thread on our official forums: New Scenarios - what would you like to see?

Now that the spring update has been out for a few weeks, it's time to think about where we go next. The Solo scenarios were an obvious move after all your feedback, but if we were to add even more maps, what would you like to see? For example:

- Would you like to see more of a particular scenario category, e.g. Beginner, Expert, Solo?
    - Are there any types of terrain you'd like to see more of? Perhaps mountainous maps, islands, deserts or lakes? Maybe you'd like more unrealistic fun maps like Smiley Isley, or more scenarios based on the real world like the America, Great Britain and Swiss Alps maps?
    - Do you think the game needs more open-ended scenarios, or would you like to see more "gamey" maps with specific goals, tricky restrictions (for example limited vehicle types or difficult terrain), and/or competitors?
    - Can you think of any situation that could inspire an interesting scenario? For example, someone suggested one based on the Berlin Blockade, which would have a quite different feel than existing scenarios but is potentially feasible.
    - If you get inspired, feel free to spec out your dream scenario - you never know, you might inspire us in turn :)

For now please assume only assets already in game will be available - that means no new vehicles, industries, tilesets, AI behaviour etc. Other than that, go wild with your suggestions!

15. Repair Drone

Update time! Mostly bug fixes today, but there are a couple of general usability tweaks too:

- New profit/loss indicator in the Vehicles list, for a quick overview of which vehicles are making money
    - Improvements to train lengths display. They should now be more accurate and err on the side of generosity to aid when calculating station length.
    - Your Company HQ will now provide a slight boost to its home town's Company Rating - the equivalent of planting 10 trees.
    - Fixed a crash caused by multiple touches on the screen with the mini map open
    - Fixed a rare crash caused by train repeatedly checking for open exits on a looped track.
    - Fixed industries at production cap announcing production increases.
    - Fixed delays caused by occupied two-way signals
    - Fixed issue where the mini map permanently displayed raise/lower water changes that had not been finalised.
    - Reduced the cap on train length to 64 components, resolving a multitude of issues caused by enormous mega-trains. Any existing trains longer than the cap will continue to function, but cannot be enlarged further.

Enjoy!

16. rjkaufman21

rjkaufman21 New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Great game. Picked it up about two weeks ago and I've been playing it non-stop. Highly recommend it to anyone who likes economy management simulators.

It took me several hours to figure out everything, the interface is not immediately intuitive and required some researching online. But it's amazing once you understand it. Challenging and addicting. There are always more routes to build and optimize.

The one thing I haven't messed with much yet is mail. Do others deliver much mail? Also what is the value of a bus depot over a bus stop?

17. Repair Drone

Mail's a bit tricky in the early game as buildings start producing it well before they will receive it. It gets more attractive later once big conurbations have sprung up.

You can use a "Wait for Full Load" instruction at bus depots whereas you can't at ordinary stops, plus they can service two buses at once.

18. Repair Drone

Transport Tycoon 20th Anniversary - Chris Sawyer Q&A

We're speeding towards the 20th anniversary of Transport Tycoon's original release, which means it's time to get nostalgic. Luckily, we've got access to the man who started it all, legendary developer Chris Sawyer!

If you could ask Chris anything about the history and development of Transport Tycoon, what would it be? We're gathering up questions in preparation for a 20th anniversary Q&A session, so let us know what you'd be interested in hearing about. Post your questions here, or email them to [email protected]. Please share this with any other Transport Tycoon fans you know - the more questions we get, the better!

We can't guarantee he'll be able to cover everything requested, but we're sure he'll have some interesting insights for Tycoon veterans and new players alike. Keep an eye out for the interview later in the year!

19. Repair Drone

[​IMG]

Welcome to our Transport Tycoon 20th Anniversary celebration! The 20th Anniversary update is now live on iOS. Features:

[​IMG] The 20th Anniversary Competition scenario! For the next month, you've got a chance to win massive real world prizes such as £500 of travel vouchers by raising that Performance Index and proving yourself the top Tycoon! For details, see http://competition.transporttycoon.com, or click the competition logo a the top of the website.

- Three new scenarios for Expert players with a brand new twist. Take over a failing company in a competitive market and steer it to success!

- Two new Solo scenarios with an extra level of challenge: Tame the strange terrain of Hungry Blockworld and feed its inhabitants! And can you meet the performance target in the aptly named No Trains, No Planes?

- Expand your transport empire even further with a new increased vehicle limit!

- Numerous new bug fixes and game logic improvements.

We've also got some new exclusive Anniversary content on our website: a Q&A session with Chris Sawyer and the Transport Tycoon mobile team, plus the first public look at a pre-release prototype of Transport Tycoon. Enjoy!

20. MalenkaBalckburn

MalenkaBalckburn New Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Repair Drone, I need your help. I have been playing TT for months now on my ipad, and it has very occasionally "crashed" the game, but now it is crashing every time I touch the map. I am on Vapid Volcano, and have been playing it for a few days without a problem, but it just got increasingly worse, so I kept saving every time I had done something. But now it is literally as soon as I load up the savegame, and touch the map, the game disappears. But the app itself appears to be still in the background. When I get it up, I have to load the game again.

So, is it the actual savegame? Should I just cut my losses and start again? I only have a few hours on the scenario, so it would not be a big deal. I am probably going to lose it anyway :)