Puzzle games suggestions

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by aloepar1, Jul 14, 2009.

1. aloepar1

aloepar1 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    USA
    I'm a big fan of puzzle games. My favorite Gemmed but I beat it so I'm kind of done with it. I already have Drop7, Frenzic, Stoneloops, Peggle, Smiles, Big Top 10, Robot Master.

As you can see I don't go for the traditional match-3, I like twists, although you could say Smiles is borderline traditional. Montezuma is too traditional for me if that makes sense.

There is a big chance that there is a thread about this already, but the searching yields too many results, and probably the post is so old that a few new games have come out since then.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    If you like good numeral based puzzlers I heartily recommend DropSum, Down to Zero, and Numba (Numba is a great game BUT the fact you can't save does bring it down a few notches).

3. aloepar1

May 26, 2009
    USA
    I should have mentioned that. Auto-save is a must. Especially with numeral based puzzlers. Thanks

4. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Something also cool about DropSum is that, just like Drop7, there is no time pressure. Take as long as you want to make a move.

5. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    PuzzleQuest and Samurai Puzzle Battles. Two great and very deep games.

6. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    +1 for DropSum and I'll throw in Adubble

7. aloepar1

May 26, 2009
    USA
    I finished PQ on the DS so the iPhone version never quite hooked me in. Samurai puzzle looks intriguing but from the reviews they say it's a PQ clone, I don't know how much is true.

I've been keeping track of Adubble for a while and waiting for an update but it never happens

At this point it's probably down to DropSum and Down to Zero. Probably buy both and see which one sticks with me. And I know I'm missing Azkend which is a little different, but with no auto-save and kind of "expensive" at $4.99 right now.

Thanks for your suggestions, keep them coming

8. Lukearcade22

Lukearcade22 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Student/Young Video Game Developer
    United Kingdom
    Triazzle comes out in a couple of days and that does look like a great puzzle game.

Puzzlings looks promising and has some good puzzle elements.

Trixel is a fun puzzle game and has some cool gameplay

9. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    DropSum is very nice indeed.

A match-3 with a different twist: Pharaoh.

Real Arcade will probably re-release Bounce Out soon (brought out due a bug I think) which is a nice match-3 game too.

10. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
  11. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    An update for what exactly? Game is great as it is already! :D

Yep, Azkend is great. I managed to pick it up with it was on sale for a buck!

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Color me confused, it tracks your score and the level you left off on so, if not saving the actual current layout, each level plays through fairly quickly and little is lost.

Ohhh, but I see if doing the Survival Mode this aspect could be annoying.

13. Ktcf11

Ktcf11 Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    IN
    If you liked stoneloops you might like blackbeard's assault.

14. Blitzkreig

Blitzkreig Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Halo 3 Forum
    The best Puzzle Game that still finds a top spot on my iTouch is Puzzle Quest: Chapters 1 and 2. It provides a unique puzzle, match-3 experience, and also manages to incorporate RPG elements such as leveling up your hero, buying new equipment to gain an edge in battle, and long lasting replayability. I've clocked in about 40 hours on this game alone, and still going strong. And since your a fan of match-3 games, you'll feel right at home with the gameplay. Give this one a shot.

15. eerylab

eerylab Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    The update will be soon. Believe me.

Michal

16. fi5thstreet

fi5thstreet Active Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Hello,

If you have not already, please check out our newest puzzle game: perplexed. I think you will really enjoy it! We would also love to hear all your feedback.

Thanks,

17. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Try Unblock Me. The free version is the full version with fewer (but still plenty) of puzzles.

I find it relaxing...the total opposite of say, Big Top 10, which I also enjoy, but is anything other than relaxing.

18. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Trism - a really great game, it has the match 3 aspect of the game, and it also has preset puzzles too. The puzzle version of the game is pretty tough, and will require a lot of thinking.

Alchemize - This is another match 3 game, but with a pretty great twist. Once you match 3 compounds together it will leave in its place a whole new one, and I believe there is something like 26 total compounds, starts from a sort of green potion, and works it way up to gold.

BoXiKon - An upgraded, and imo a superior version of tetris, I would consider it a puzzle esque game.

Ynth - Hard to explain, but extremely fun.

A couple others that I will also mention that are really fun are Snood, Boonka Snap, Ancient Frog, Eliss, Dapple, Aquah, and Electric Box.

I hope that you can make use of this list I compiled for you, those are pretty much all my favorite Puzzle games, and trust that all mentioned are innovative in their own way.

Enjoy

19. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I love pathpix

20. galaxygrrl

galaxygrrl Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Try Toki Tori, my favorite game on the iphone. It's tough though. :)