App discoverability in iOS and OSX app stores?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PompiPompi, Jan 15, 2016.

1. PompiPompi

PompiPompi New Member

Jan 15, 2016
    (Hi, I am new here. I couldn't find any introduction thread so I guess I will just post my question...)

How does discoveravility works in iOS and OSX app stores?
    By discoverability I mean people finding your app from within the app stores. With no paid ads or referrals of some sort.
    When you release an app it goes to the "New apps" for a week or so and then you get an initial spike. But what afterwards?
    How do users find your game/app?
    I have more success with my games on the Apple store, it seems Google have changed their algorithm to make it really bad for the vast majority of their developers and only the top or those who pay for ads get discovered in Google Play.
    So I think Google Play is a lost cause for most developers...

How does a user actually finds your app on the App store? Assuming it's not featured... do people just search really weird things?

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    There is none.
    If you don't get featured, and if you don't rank well in specific, highly trafficed keywords then you're relying on word of mouth or paid advertising to bring people to a game (not a great place to be).

Occasionally someone might accidentally discover your game, but the onus is on you to draw the crowd outside the app stores.