Universal Star Warfare: Alien Invasion - (by Freyr Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Geez folks, is reading really going out of style with you young ones? :D

Under "location services" it clearly says it uses open ("crowd-sourced") wireless hotspots (Best example would be free wireless in an airport) to try and determine your location.
    Note that I have an iPad without UMTS.

I'd have to doublecheck on what exactly it says on my girlfriend's iPhone, but I am quite sure that she has an additional switch for GPS-based locating.

VPN would actually be the easiest solution (go and read up on what that is exactly :p ).
    In short, it opens a secure connection to a VPN gateway somewhere else, and then also gives you an IP address of that router's IP range.
    E.g. in my last company, one of our VPN gateways was US-based, so stuff like Google advertisement thought I am in the US whenever I connected to it.
    Downside is that mostly companies use this, to allow employees a secure connection to the company network. But there are free VPN programs as well, so we could set one up and allow e.g. Arrow0x to connect to it.
    Of course, you get a higher latency, which might affect your playing experience.

I just read up on how Firefox does location-based stuff:
    They use Google Location Services to try and pinpoint your location, look here:
    http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/geolocation/

arrow0x and others who are interested:
    You could give anonymizer.com, TOR, or any other related service a try, see if those give you an IP from another location. Of course, the caveat about latency applies here as well.

If I find my notes again what I found for watching Syfy channel, I will let you know.

2. undead.exe

undead.exe Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    They might have changed it for different iOS versions, but I'm not seeing a separate switch for the GPS function now that I take a proper look under location services: it simply says the following under iOS 6:

I'm trying to locate a free VPN network based in China or Asia right now to see if the IP-address theory can be tested from this side. Going to need to refine my searches a bit though, because I keep stumbling into paid VPN networks (and possibly because people are usually trying to find things to get OUT of China rather than into it, I suppose)

3. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Something completely different:
    I just read that Baldur's Gate for the iPad is scheduled for 28th November.
    Now, that's one damn nice birthday present for me :D

Put that on your radar, guys!

4. undead.exe

Jun 20, 2012
    #9724 undead.exe, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    I'll have to take a look at that when I'm back from camp, thanks Sheinfell :p

--------

Think I found a free US-based VPN which SEEMS to work, though I don't know about its relative internet speed. If anyone from Asia is willing to try them out to see if that helps them get past the player segregation, please let us know if we can help, or how it goes :D

USVPN "New Free" -- scroll down and look for the instructions for either the iPhone, iPod or iPad. Where it's telling you to enter a username and password, you can find them on the homepage of that site (i.e. scroll to the top of the page and click "home", you'll find all the details you need just under the "Welcome" banner).

For players in Asia who are able to use this, there are basically two ways to confirm whether this method can break the geographical segregation: you're looking to either be able to play with people from outside of Asia, or you're looking to be UNABLE to play with friends within Asia (since you should now have a U.S-based IP address when you're connected to the VPN).

Arrow0x, Fro5tClown and ExactPsience, if any of you guys read this, please consider giving it a shot if you don't find it too troublesome :D

------------

Update: okay, that VPN seems to work properly when I'm using it to access websites, but I'm getting a lot of "can't access server" errors when I'm trying to run the game. Going to try using a different VPN to see if the results are any better...

Update 2: that's three supposedly different US-based VPNs I've just tried which seem to work for surfing the net via browsers, but end up giving me a "cannot connect to server" error from Star Warfare itself. Hmm...I get the impression we're on the right track though...

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Thanks, but i've pretty much quit star warfare. I've deleted my character already, and i wont be ready to grind again everything ive lost.

I hope this helps those who are currently playing the game which arent on the NA servers though.

6. SuperionEXE

SuperionEXE Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hey there, nice to see you again Psience, and yeah, that's the hope for now. It'll probably be what we'll be doing until we get a new PvE or Boss update in SW.

7. JediKnight

JediKnight Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    DarthGuy's Deathstar
    Whoa thats also my friends birthday...

8. Parcheesy00

Parcheesy00 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    right next to you
    y'know when i see two or three people using windblades to kill one target, it reminds me of hyenas or lions working together to bring down their prey. So sometimes when i see a guy with a windblade, i just follow him around and kill people together:D And it works!:D lol:D i get a lot of kills that way too:D

------------------------

oh and once i joined a ctf game with three people (dont ask, i was bored), the person on the other team was afk, but my teammate went up to me and started to change his weapons really fast. maybe he got it from the sythesis combo idk........... Maybe he thought i was Undead because i was wearing thunder armor and had mithril weapons lol:D

9. Parcheesy00

Parcheesy00 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    right next to you
    hmmmmm........

Custom game idea: "HUNTED"
    one team has full thunder armor with windblade known as the "predator", other team has perseus armor known as the "prey".

predators stick together and take down enemies one by one, making their kills very fast and easy. see if prey can survive (get more kills) or if predators succeed(again, getting more kills)

could be fun but needs at least about 4-8 players

10. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Guys, I'm currently horribly addicted to Pocket Army...:eek:

Get it, and add me in GC @ Drummerboycroy, and hurry, before it's too late!:eek::D

DBC

11. Enjoo

Enjoo Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Still having fun? This would be fun since a lot of us didn't play for a while...

12. ThePowerofLava

ThePowerofLava Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    That weapon switching seems to be a universal thing: I gues it could mean "I'm bored" or "ha! I killed you!"

A lot of people get pissed off about it, apperently.

13. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Woo hoo! New friends! Thanks guys!:D:D

DBC

14. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Mine is actually on the 27th, but I decided it's close enough to count :)

15. undead.exe

Jun 20, 2012
    Just downloaded it, I'll be seeing you soon when I can dig into it :D
    (Upcoming camp in a few days, no real time to immediately get stuck into it until later in the week)

A peculiar feature about the Thunder ability in PvP: your speed increases, but your power doesn't -- I've tested it alongside the R700-AA, and the power multiplier doesn't actually function in PvP. If you were trying to give one team a lot of power with very little HP, you'll either need to make them Atom/STK users with beam weapons, or power-geared hybrids which will have significantly stronger defences than the Thunder Armour.

A third (albeit rare) use for weapon-switching like that is as a "truce" (used in free-for-all games to try and stay alive for longer if you have one less opponent trying to kill you). I've only ever seen that signal used by a small player demographic though, it usually seems to be what you've just said, Lava: either people are bored, or it's their idea of taunting after a kill.

16. JediKnight

JediKnight Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    DarthGuy's Deathstar
    pocket army is downloading! :D:D:D

17. ThePowerofLava

Aug 11, 2012
    Everyone remember to friend each other :D

I'm ThePowerofLava, of course

18. undead.exe

Jun 20, 2012
    I should be easy enough to recognise too :D

(Let me know who you are if your GC is different from your forum name, I'm still getting random requests from complete strangers :/)

19. ThePowerofLava

Aug 11, 2012
    It's great when you make an unique name for yourself :D

20. undead.exe

Jun 20, 2012
    Yeah, I never have to compete with anyone for my current username anywhere...possibly because no-one wants to make themselves sound like a virus, but hey, if it's letting me grab the name easily across any new system... >.>

Popular names aren't usually that good for making yourself stand out: it usually works best when you pick something a tad obscure, and then make it work for yourself ;)