Which types of games are you sick of seeing in the store the most?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by freedog, Jun 26, 2010.

?

Which types of games are you sick of seeing in the store the most?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2010.
  1. doodle games

51.5%
  2. match games

29.4%
  3. text based MMO's

47.1%
  4. blocks games

14.7%
  5. air hockey games

16.2%
  6. jump games

30.9%
  7. match 3 games

30.9%
  8. simon says games

16.2%
  9. hidden object games

14.7%
  10. tetris clones

19.1%
  1. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    With all kinds of games flooding the store lately, which type or genre are you sick of seeing the most?

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    jumping up platforms.

3. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    You missed zombie games ;)

4. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    well seeing as doodle is an artstyle, and not a game, idk.

too many hooking games :p ahaha kidding, love HC and SQH :D

but, DSS, some suck, some rock. hated pirates treasure

5. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    I was gonna add it but only 10 options and zombie games have a large and loyal fanbase.

6. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    :eek:

7. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    yeah thats what i meant by "doodle games"...the graphics. I know there are some good doodle games but the artstyle is being overused and getting kind of old. A good doodle release is always pardoned, but there's just a ton of generic ones that are really wearing it out.

8. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    text based MMO's

9. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    come on man....

10. Puzbox

Puzbox Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Making fun games
    London
    Hi, interesting topic.

As developers we have this mission:

1. get enough money together from sales of our first game to:

2. finance the second game (which we are making now) which is the game we love and know you will love too.

The problem is for many of us developers is we often need to put out a game which is purely family oriented or simple, in order to pay the bills. Barnyard Bounce in my signature, is designed to bring in ad revenue and keep two kinds of player happy: families with kids, or people who want the top score.

It isn't designed to be annoying to you or for you to put down (many of you marked down the score not realising what audience it was intended for).

Instead of marking down a free game just because *you* don't like it, why not mark down a *paid* game instead? free is free, and hurts no-one.

We use our free family based game in order to finance our second game which we feel you WILL like. Many of you do not really understand just how hard it is living on the breadline making these games. You are not allowed to make games where I live without paying taxes and doing a day job. Is is very tough indeed.

Where is the support for your developers? Its easy to beat up on them but not so easy to say "hey I can email this guy and tell him the game I want to play".

So... my challenge to you is: email me or pm me. I am interested in making the games you want to play.

11. DPRICE81

DPRICE81 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    pirates treasure, the chillingo game? hmm what dont you like about it? i was planning on buying at some point. Would have bought them all if chillingo had an all .99 cents sale like the big boys. Then again, for chillingo to grow into a big boy, I guess I should feed it more cash.

12. BTM4444

BTM4444 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Freshman In College. Studying Public Administratio
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Doodle games and the see how far you can go without falling games (don't know what those r called)

13. ThunderingSteam

ThunderingSteam Active Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Ohio, USA
    Zombie games is missing from this list. You can only shoot, fling, flip, smash, burn and run over so many of them before the gimmick wears off. Anytime I see another new one in the App Store, I avoid them like the plague.

14. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    #14 RonBurgundy, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
    Like a zombie plague? :D
    But yea if zombie games was on that list I would most likely vote for it. Imo its just getting out of hand, but if someone could make one that would put Resident evil 1 or 2 or 3 for that matter to shame I will eat my words with some A1 sauce.

But any devs that read this if you can make a actual horror game (like penumbra or that amnesia game the same guys are making. It also has to be just as scary.) I will drop everything I'm doing here and fly to where you live and when you open the door I will hug you.....And offer to become your slave perhaps...

(Just think... you could have your very own slave!)

EDIT: in fact if anyone is interested this is what I'm talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M627-obxNzg this is the Amnesia game but the Penumbra games were truly the only games that made me nervous walking around in the dark... (sad I know but it was a awesome feeling at the same time)

15. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    Text Based MMO's no question... I mean how many of these crappy games do we need? Hopefully now that Jagex is developing for the iDevice they may bring Runescape to the iDevice.

16. jow80

jow80 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    under some guy's deck
    i hate when Text Based MMOs make those '10 reward points' for downloading a free, empty app just to bump it up onto the tops of the charts.

17. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

I voted for match three's but I have to say that I can't stand whack-a-mole type games. How uncreative as a game designer can you get.

18. nkflier23

nkflier23 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    soccer
    shooting basketball games
    text based mmos

19. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    #19 freedog, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
    the soccer games will slow down after the WC, but yeah right now there are too many of them entering the store each day.

20. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    You missed out zombie doodle platform jumper genre.