Key to the Kingdom: Legacy

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by darrenkmitchell, Jul 9, 2014.

1. darrenkmitchell

Jul 9, 2014
    #1 darrenkmitchell, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    I am a long time video game and table-top game lover, and have more recently started getting into some more "Euro-style" board games. In my exploration of newer games, I constantly found myself also thinking of an older out-of-production game form the early 90's that I played as a kid. It was called Key to the Kingdom.

“Key to the Kingdom” was a board game produced in the early 90’s, invented by Paul Bennett, and is no longer available in retail stores. The goal of the game is to go around the board until you've found the "Key Treasure card" plus one more treasure card and then escape the kingdom before another player steals it from you. There are various monsters and Hazards you face on the board, with unique rules (based on dice roles and what items you have in your hand) on how to overcome them.

I loved the game so much that in hunting for an affordable "good condition" copy online, I met the Inventor of the game. After much discussion between us, and some out of the box ideas, he was on board to let my friend and I take the Key to the Kingdom game and digitize it into a fully function Game App!

We've just found an independent Game Development crew willing to work with us, so we are making preparations to launch a Kickstarter page in the coming weeks to raise funds to produce the game, and if and when we reach our Goal amount, the Dev team will immediately be able to begin work!

I am hoping to see this game translate the table-top experience in mobile, just like other great games have (i.e. Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, Lords of Waterdeep, etc).

I would love to know if anyone would be interested in this type of game!

If so, follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/K2TKL

2. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Ahhh...back to the good ol' days when kids and people actually sat down as a family/pack of friends and played a board game together...Sad really that that sort of interaction has become almost obsolete due to the influx of mobile gaming. Now don't get me wrong before you'll kill me I'm an avid mobile gamer and do so love my iPhone and iPad. It just hit me seeing a game like this on board. Oh well I'll dry up my tears and continue beta testing more mobile games :D:confused::eek:

3. darrenkmitchell

Jul 9, 2014
    Hey aconfusedkender

I completely agree with your statement. However, i think it's up to people who develop and create mobile app games to change that. Playing games on your iTouch device should not be an isolating experience. I think more emphasis on Pass-and-play features, and online multi-player, can make board game apps just as engaging of an experience. One of the goals I have with this game is to make it as rewarding experience to play with others.

Do you really feel that there is no way to bring that experience to a digital format? How would you improve upon mobile games to bring that community experience into the equation?

I definitely dont want this game to be a disappointment of another "ported" board game on mobile. I want it to leverage mobile features to create a brand-new engaging experience to share with your friends/family. I Would love to hear your thoughts!

4. BloodFidelity

BloodFidelity Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Cinematographer (Director of Photography, Camera O
    Los Angeles
    Very excited to hear this!! I still own this board game!

5. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Darren,

I was purely stating a fact that the times have changed is all. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a game like you are proposing. IMHO I think the market isn't very nice to games like yours. The fact that people would have to be next to eachother for a P&P capability is a hammer to the chisel already. From my knowledge (which is debatable) the vast majority of players play "isolated" as it is.

Look sir I'm not saying this is not possible I'm just saying it'll be tough is all. To some that's motivation and to others it's a wall. I will always wish an indie the best of luck in any venture as long as it's what they want to do. I think the ability to bring that "board-game feeling" to a game on mobile would take a server where the players could play together at the same time with not having to be next to eachother. I think it'd be more feasible than having to wrangle up someone to play with you, but then you sit with a time constraint, as I know most board games are pretty drawn out. But I don't know if that's possible but you asked.

I also think that in our current society "we" have all become a very quick to satisfy or quick to judge group of people. If it isn't an instant satisfaction sadly a lot of people don't give it a second look and it gets dusted under the rug. I don't agree with it but it's what I see. Like I stated earlier I wish you the best bud. You seem to have gotten a little pee'd off and defensive. That wasn't my intention so I'm sorry if you took it like that. Always follow your dream buddy and you'll get there. "Life's too short to be pissed off all the time"

6. darrenkmitchell

Jul 9, 2014
    #6 darrenkmitchell, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    We are Live!

Hey aconfusedkender - No offence was taken :) I guess tone doesn't always translate well on forums! I just was interested in discussing some of the points you made, but sounds like we are on the same page!

Cheers!

7. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    #7 qdiddy, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    Hmmmm, think you can get AVGN to be your spokesperson? Because, if it wasn't for him and his avid love for this game, I wouldn't have known about it. Maybe you should hit him up, I'm sure he'd love to promote you.

8. darrenkmitchell

Jul 9, 2014
    I'll definitely reach out and at least let him know what we are doing! Thanks for the tip!

9. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    No problem! Just keep us updated.

10. darrenkmitchell

Jul 9, 2014
    Making progress!

Hey Guys, just wanted to share an update! We are in our 2nd week! YAY!

Last week we were labeled a #Staff Pick. What this means is a Kickstarter employee saw our campaign, reviewed it and personally loved it, so they give it a big thumbs up! This is great because it means we have a great page and our project is well represented!

The next big hurdle is getting the word out there! I've been reaching out to all my friends, family, and their extended networks but it's just not enough! I have also engaged all sorts of people and gaming related groups via social media (twitter, youtube, facebook) and gotten little replies which I think have been really fun and great! However, that hasn't led to much traction on mass awareness or backer increases. I am a marketer, so I know how to manage and engage people on Social Media, however I am finding that I am lacking in the PR field (which for those who are not in marketing - advertising and PR are different, hehe).

I'm still confident though, as a friend of a friend is doing me a huge favor and using their contacts at big publications to request some coverage (Kotaku, The Verge - gaming section) so if that pans out it could be huge!

If anyone has any thoughts/recommendations to get the word out there or how to approach getting some online publications in the gaming world to write about my project, I'd love some advice!

I am still unable to post a link to my page here, but if you are really interested in finding it, I'm sure you can go to Kickstarter and find Key to the Kingdom: Legacy! Any support, even sharing out to your friends helps!

Cheers!

11. darrenkmitchell

Jul 9, 2014
  12. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Good for you!