Cartoon Wars - Gunner

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by khangtoh, Dec 19, 2009.

1. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So Cartoon Wars - Gunner just got released in the appstore is now a Top 25 paid app, the appstore has been very active these few days. I saw Battleship jump onto Top paid but that's an EA game, how did Cartoon Wars - Gunner beat them? Just really curious and so I looked at the developer and did not saw any other hit titles, so that was their first.

So I looked at TA and saw nothing about the game, no reviews, no many reviews from other popular iPhone gaming sites like SlideToPlay and 148apps. ( Just did a google and did not see any, so there might be ).

So Plushed on the other hand, got tons of press since the developer was the one who came out with AppventCalendar. Game launched and now it's just past #105 in action. Got a pretty good feeling they will move up the charts, but my expectations was much higher for them.

This observation really got me thinking, how to get to that top 25?? Apparently, press and hype doesn't really get you there ( Cartoon Wars-Gunner proved that ).

Any one care to comment? Appreciate it.

2. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    May have something to do with the name and the fact that it looks exactly like Cartoon Wars, which is a huge hit.

3. BlueSolarSoftware

BlueSolarSoftware Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Austin
    Because it's by the same guy who made cartoon wars. They had a built in audience and fanbase.

4. khangtoh

May 31, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't think it's the same guy, at least it's not the same publisher account.

5. khangtoh

May 31, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Looks like they are the same developer but just different publisher account. I wonder why he did that. So I'm guessing that he has some kind of messaging system in his first Cartoon Wars game OR people must be searching for Cartoon Wars like crazy.

6. bluewhistle7

bluewhistle7 Active Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Hi~

BLUE is the name I used as an individual developer.

Thanks to the big success in Cartoon Wars, I have started a company 'BLUE G&C' with a professional designer.

Cartoon Wars Gunner is Blue's 5th game and also the first product of BLUE G&C.

I would like to thank you in advance for continuing to show your love for the games.

Thank you!

7. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    They probably are.

And a quote from the developer himself

8. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    I noticed that you said you have partnered up with a 'professional designer". In what ways would it affect/change your games, seeing as your known signature is stick figure w/ action formula? Better animation? Are you moving on from stick figure art?

9. blacksmith games

blacksmith games Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    @kangtoh Plushed is not in Action. Its in Adventure position 34 now. I have expected more of course. We really do a lot to get some attention but for now this doesnt help much. I hope we get featured by Apple. For now this is the only possibillity i see to climb the charts. Next time we will do a HALO clone and be position 1 after one day ;-)

10. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

it's obviously due to cartoon war's massive popularity.
    i agree that i am a bit surprised about plushed.
    the appventcalendar is perhaps the best publicity stunt possible, yet plushed isn't selling amazingly well.

maybe we'll see sales rise soon

11. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Thanks for making such a great App! I've had too many regrets buying 99cent apps lately (since they all add up) and I can't fault the developers too much because most of them ARE worth 99 cents but I'm only trying to buy the great ones that cost a buck or more (luckily there isn't a ton otherwise I'd be broke) with really good replay value now and this is one of them :)

The upgrade system is what makes this game so compelling and it just feels good to slowly build my character up into a stronger character while earning money instead of buying a moneygrab app where I play once and can just replay again to beat the high score. Thanks again for making an AWESOME app and keep up the great work!!

12. gamevil_TA

gamevil_TA Well-Known Member

13. fugufish

fugufish Active Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Developer
    awesome-est game in the world

14. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
  15. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Cry me a river? The paid app is still in the store if u wanna buy before u try.