iPad The World Ends with You: Solo Remix (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by chaos_envoys, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    I do feel for you!
    I've been rooked enough too so I feel your pain and it isn't good business practice!
    So buyer be extra cautious and hope you're buying with confidence:)

2. Saqerbeast

Saqerbeast Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    I'm goin to take it as this game doesn't work on a 3rd gen?

3. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    #423 geoelectric, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    iPhone 4 and 4s only.

4. It doesn't even seem to work on the 4th gen iPod Touch.

5. Toxy

Toxy Member

Aug 14, 2012
    couple of pages back there were person saying it's available to be played on 4th gen itouch too..

6. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    No one said that and even if there is its not true, all iPod generations are not compatible with this game

7. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Yes, but note they used 'special' methods.

I wouldn't freely throw that kind of stuff out since some may see others saying it works and they might blindly purchase the game.

8. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The App Store compatibility box lists iPhone 4 and 4S only, so I don't think you can actually purchase it on a Touch.

9. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Alright, I'm a little late to the impressions conversation, but I've played through enough of the game where I can feel comfortable about my thoughts on it.

This port rocks. The art is gorgeous, upscaled and redrawn beautifully for the 4s Retina Display. The art style is untouched, which is the best possible thing Squeenix could have ever done in this regard. The music sounds just as crisp, detailed and impressive as it was on the DS, with barely any discernible difference between the port and the original. And that's a good thing.

The story is just as immediate, as detailed, as intricately plotted and near-perfectly paced as it always was. The overall depth to the characters and how well the game conveys its themes of alienation, the prevalence of technology, the paradoxical isolation of modern life, reasons to live one's life beyond survival, etc... all morph into a powerful beast to behold that feels so... Human! Considering that NO OTHER GAME THAT I EXPERIENCED ON ANY PLATFORM WAS ABLE TO MAKE MY JAW DROP IN THIS MANNER BEFORE THIS CAME ALONG, that should tell you that those of you who like deep and engaging stories will have found your Holy Grail with TWEWY.

The gameplay is pure tapping and swiping bliss. No slowdown is present anywhere at any point. Loading times are close to nonexistent, and the controls work beautifully, with a quirk or two (DEM BATS. So hard to hit D: ). The customization is through the roof, too; there's food to eat, pins to master, fashions to buy and effectively utilize, and more. Difficulty customization is similarly mind-boggling, because it allows the player NOT ONLY how difficult they want their game to be, but HOW THAT DIFFICULTY IS IMPLEMENTED. Want to have better/worse enemy AI? You can choose that. Want more HP/less HP? You can do that. Want lots of boosted stats/the barest minimum character progression? You can do that. Want to wear the best fashions/fight in T-shirts and jeans? You can do that.

All of these complexities appear to be overwhelming on the surface. In practice however, instead of simply dropping you off in an area and saying "Good Luck!" like many games do, this game eases you into these quirks and character possibilities by drawing you into the aforementioned excellent story and well-developed characters. The end result is like slipping into a hot, steaming, bubbling jacuzzi; first the toe, but THEN, the leg, then the other leg, then the torso, and finally the deep breath as you lean back and let your body soak up the heat.

Yes. The game is THAT GOOD.

I'm having one of the best gaming experiences possible on my iPhone 4s. In fact, I'd consider this the most gorgeous, innovative, best-paced, most well-developed game on iOS period. Considering that THIS IS A PORT, AND IT FLATTENS EVERY SINGLE OTHER GAME ON iOS PERIOD, then that should tell people something!

This has become my new standard for iOS games. Hell, this has become my standard for games PERIOD. And it deserves every bit of obscenely ridiculous hyperbole I'm throwing at it. Keep in mind what I said earlier about how emotions can sense if there is something "wrong" with something, and how they can do so effectively. However, it can work both ways. Emotions can also sense when there is something "right" about something. Now, think about how I'm being nothing but the Fount of Eternal Positivity in regards to this game. That should clue people in to the fact that the game is doing a TON of things right!

Also, I have usually been able to keep my opinions and emotions separate from my logical analysis. But I JUST... CAN'T! I CAN'T STOP GUSHING MY PRAISE FOR THIS GAMING MASTERPIECE!

This is our generation's Chrono Trigger. This is our generation's contribution to gaming history.

ALL HAIL TWEWY!!!!!!!!!

Ow..... Brain........ Hurts........ Heart....... Pounding..........

*THUD*

GGGHHGGGGAAAAASKKKKKK-

*dead*

Sooooooo.... I apparently felt the emotional equivalent of a heart attack created by pure, concentrated gaming joy, huh?

Something tells me I took things a WEE BIT too far :rolleyes:

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

10. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    It looks like through a few different reviews of the game that people have been able to purchase it through iPod touch. I think. All of my browsing has been on my 4S or laptop.

MrAlbum's review seems.. Quite passionate, to say the least, heh.

11. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Good luck in the Reaper's Game, buddy.

12. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Well, it is an awesome game! Even if I'm disappointed with Squenix's compatibility shenanigans, it's easily a top 10 hardcore game for the system as a whole. DS games translate over especially well because they were already made for touch.

Re: purchasing for Touch, they may have purchased from desktop and then been surprised when it wouldn't sync. I didn't think about that flow. Think the on-device app store would exclude it; I know my iPad's app store won't show the iPhone version.

13. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Just so I understand it right:

Square Enix is actually breaking a Rule of Apple itself to don`t make the iPhone Version run on the iPad (First Gen) and also not on the iPod Touch(4th) and all it does need is some Modding of some Files to change that and make it work on those iDevice?

Please tell me I`m totally wrong because otherwise I'll go and request an refund from Apple right now because I will never ever support something as greedy as such behavior with my Money.

14. shero89

Jun 28, 2012
    #434 shero89, Aug 28, 2012
    The iPhone version will not work on any iPad ( 1,2 or new iPad ) I was fine with it but after thinking about it, that's really low from Square Enix

Edit: try installing the iPhone version on your iPad see what happens!!!

15. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    #435 geoelectric, Aug 28, 2012
    Edit: I just checked the app manifest I posted about and it only lists Arm v7 and the gyroscope, not the flash. If it is rejecting based on flash (and a number of posts confirm that) it seems like it must be internal behavior.

Re-edit: in a fit of not-very-bright, I was looking at the iPad version. Seems likely the iPhone manifest is indeed specifying that it needs a flash. I have no idea if just modding that plus the compatible device version would let you install on iPad. Might.

16. Alex DeLargest

Alex DeLargest Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    The main issue, in my mind is the apparent violation of the compatibility mode clause of the Dev License Agreement for no apparent good reason. The iPhone version will NOT install on iPad 2 or 3 due to the iPad lacking a camera flash. The camera flash is not used for any purpose in game. The motivation is clear.

As far as the iTouch/iPad 1 lockout, that at least could be defended on performance grounds and apparently is permitted under the agreement.

17. shero89

Jun 28, 2012
    You don't need the camera or flash to play the game so is this considered a violation to Apple policies ?

18. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    #438 geoelectric, Aug 28, 2012
    Yeah. Look at my post a couple of pages back. Upshot is that you can only disable functionality that actually needs a device feature not present. Otherwise you have to maintain compatibility.

I'm unzipping the .ipa now to look at the manifest. I'll edit when I've checked it out.

Edit: manifest does not specify flash. If it's rejecting based on that (and I've seen a number of posts confirming it is) I think it may be checking internally.

Edit-again: Flip flop/flip flop. I was looking at the iPad .ipa. The iPhone .ipa may indeed require the camera flash.

19. shero89

Jun 28, 2012
    But isn't there a review process before Apple accepts any application ? so I'm sure they know about this and yet they let it slide without a problem !!!

20. thesmashingone

thesmashingone Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I can double confirm for the whole can't purchase directly from device thing. I actually did test it when it came out at 8:00pm. PST and it seems to be the case. Also, I wanted to purchase it, but I can't, obviously. I do wonder why Square-Enix's reason for restricting the devices so heavily, though...