THE BLOCKHEADS - Crafting, digging exploration sandbox game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by majicDave, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majicDave

majicDave Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

#1 majicDave, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

Hi everyone!

I'm Dave, the guy who made Chopper and Chopper 2, and for the past year I've been working on the game I always wanted to make: The Blockheads.

It's launching this Thursday, the 10th of January.

So what is it? In a few words it is an exploration, crafting and building sandbox game. Don't be fooled by the screenshots, though The Blockheads has definitely drawn some inspiration from it, this is not simply a 2D Minecraft clone.

This is quite a unique and different game, and even after seeing the screenshots and reading the description you might still have no idea what it is about. So I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Watch this space for more details, screenshots and videos leading up to the launch.

---

[​IMG]

The Blockheads​

Night is falling and your blockhead is freezing. You haven't yet made shelter and your campfire has gone out. All you have is a spade, some wood and a few sticks. You have only minutes before exhaustion hits. Do you create a bed, dig a cave or refuel your fire? What will you do?

Control your blockheads in a vast randomly generated world with oceans, mountains, forests, deserts and deep underground caves. Keep an eye on their needs - give them sleep, feed them, create clothing and shelter - and they'll be happier, quicker and more productive. Craft tools with the resources they find, and they'll be able to work even faster and find more resources. Upgrade workbenches and unlock more advanced items to craft. Discover precious stones and metals deep underground, or rare plants and animals on the surface. Craft a boat and sail across the oceans. Make fur clothing and venture to the North Pole. Pick coconuts at a tropical beach. Cook meat at a campfire. Build a marble palace. Paint the walls. Plant an orchard. Ride a donkey!

Explore, mine, craft and build in this giant and detailed sandbox game for iOS. Navigate huge simulated worlds thousands of blocks wide with a full temperature and climate system, seasons, an equator, and frozen poles. Explore complex cave systems and flowing water, and survive deserts and snowy mountain tops.

Play alone, or with a friend, with online two player multiplayer and voice chat over Game Center.

Launching on Thursday!
    http://theblockheads.net

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    This looks sweet! :D

3. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Awesome, will look into this.

4. Dannyz2000

Dannyz2000 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Looks great! Will it be like terraria? I loved that game. And price?

5. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Hey this looks good!! I love mine craft and if this is a little different then it will be great!!!

6. majicDave

Patreon Indie

It's a little like Terraria probably, though many many differences also! It's going to be free :)

7. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Free?? Why free? I'd rather pay upfront than IAP.

8. majicDave

Patreon Indie

Many people prefer the opposite, and the decision was made very early on to let as many people as possible play this game! It is designed to be very enjoyable without spending any money at all, and all the content is available without spending a cent. But the option is there if you want to speed a few things up, or save yourself a trip back to your base.

9. Bparker

Bparker Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    A beta tester at home
    Atlantic, IA
    It certainly is a great game can't wait to get it and then tell all my friends about it. Great job Dave! :D

10. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Well, I'll buy some IAP if its like add ons or just for looks and stuff.

11. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    I will buy IAP if and only if it is not comsumible!! Especially if it is a game like this! I will pay for cool looks and add ons (only if they do not hinder the base gameplay). That is my thoughts on IAP

12. ezone

ezone Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Game Developer @ Ezone.com
    Perth, Australia
    Don't worry guys, I've been testing the beta and the IAP is done 'right' (think NimbleBit). You've got nothing to worry about except enjoying a great game!

13. Gamigo78

Gamigo78 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2011
    Currently testing this game and I have to say it really is awesome :D

14. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Man, I'm jealous. :D looks like such a great game, I would be absolutely willing to beta test it.

15. Gamigo78

Gamigo78 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2011
    :) It will not take that long till release I think. You will really like that the worlds are really huge and loop.

16. Bparker

Aug 5, 2011
    A beta tester at home
    Atlantic, IA
    Worlds looping are absolutely great. And the worlds are huge I explored for a good. 30 minutes straight in one direction and I don't think I'm even an eighth around the world yet.

17. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Hey what's up Ben! That sounds great.. What's the water physics like in the game? Definitely excited for this one. Missed out on getting in on the testing, although I did message the dev to see if there was a spare slot going ;)

18. Bparker

Aug 5, 2011
    A beta tester at home
    Atlantic, IA
    Well... I haven't really messed with the water that much except to move it to a couple of holes I might start messing with it if I want to build a lake house or something.

19. majicDave

Patreon Indie

20. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Woah this is the first I've seen of this and it looks awesome. Two questions when's it coming out? And is it universal?
    Hopefully soon and yes :D