Universal Gridrunner [Llamasoft]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Easy actually, when you begin a game the pause icon briefly pops up on the screen. The icon is a paw inside a rainbow colored heart. Paw = Pause. lol

2. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Wow..fun game. The further you get, the more types of enemies show up. Can't wait to see what the last level brings. Yeah, I switched to the "expert" controls and it controls much better..but I just need to be careful to not move too much. I almost wish relative controls can still be added as an option..

About the pause screen, seems like if you place your finger while playing towards the top half of the screen, the pause ("paw") icon shows up..

From what I played so far..this game seems to have less of the "weird" visual and sound effects compared to the PC demos/full versions of Llamasoft that I tried. Still..since I'm having fun..thinking about getting the other Llamasoft games now. =P

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I'd recommend starting with Minotaur Rescue then; there's less of the psychedelic madness than some of the other titles. The controls are brilliant in that game once adjusted to (like all the other Llamasoft games).

Also, Gridrunner rules.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Great to get another Minter game, loving this, really like the way it looks like an 80's arcade game with the font/style etc. Nice shoot em up, about to play it on the icade.

5. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

this is now my favourite of Llamasoft's iOS games (and i love them all, so, yeah!). just brilliant.

6. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    I think I'll pick this up. Looks great.

7. Barefoot

Barefoot Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    To go from pure to casual on the title screen just swipe your finger across the screen.

Another awesome game from Minter :D:D:D

8. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Really enjoying this - classic Minter style and fun gameplay for $0.99. This is why I love iOS gaming!

9. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Pure - Starting from the first stage.
    Casual - starting from a later level you already reached.

10. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Minter! Awesome! Nuff said!

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #31 crunc, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    Great game, though my finger sometimes gets in the way of my view on my iPhone. I haven't tried it on my iPad yet. Are the expert controls set via the pause menu?

FYI, GoatUp has been reduced to 99 cents, at least according to Minter on twitter. EDIT: yep, it has. It's not showing up on appshopper yet, but in iTunes it is 99 cents.

I just tried expert control. Is the only difference that it responds more quickly to input? I'm not sure if it's better than casual or not. I seem to do better with the novice controls, but I'm not sure yet.

12. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Yeah you adjust the controls in the pause menu, I find I like the expert controls more but it is probably different for everyone.

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Ooh, it's out, INSTABUY! :D

14. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I liked the novice controls better at first..but now I like expert controls better after spending some time with it. It lets me move a lot more quickly across the screen, but that means I need to control myself and not do the big swipes across the screen when things get frantic.

15. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #35 djflippy, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    Drugrunner

As with any Minter title, Gridrunner is much like loading up your iPad to full capacity with drugs. You oftentimes hear the expression, "thinking outside the box", but this guy practically invented the box and he has never once stepped foot inside of it. Jeff, in the realm of game design, you are just like the 'jesus'.

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, and I'm loving simply the text which is just enough off to be brilliant. It feels so earnest and almost "English as a second language"-like.

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Expert controls have grown on me and I'm liking this game more and more. I actually really like that this game isn't as trippy as the past iOS games. Those games are great, mind you, but honestly I was getting a bit tired of the minotaur thing. LOL. It's nice to have a break from that. This is more just an updated yet retro arcade game.

18. phattslagg

phattslagg Member

Oct 23, 2010
    For me, this is perfection. Really hoping TA do a feature on it, as it deserves more attention than it seems to be getting at the moment.

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    HOLY CRAPIOLIE!!!

Definitely a great release... but I'm having a hard time getting use to the controls...

REALLY would benefit from a 1:1 ratio option... right now, I'm constantly just tap-pushing my ship around (very short swipes) - otherwise my ship goes out of control... reminds me of the controls in Mythlia, only... hate to say it... worse?

I'm hoping I"ll get use to it... but I don't see how it can be controlled the way it is when the 'demo' is playing on the main menu (if you don't start the game after booting it up) - it's like the controls there are perfect... but then you get into the game, and start playing it yourself... and BAM... outta control.

20. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    You will get used to the controls. I kept trying to play like it was relative touch (or even relative swipe like he's used in previous games) and it just felt messed up, but once you realize what the controls are trying to do, you can basically play like its a floating joystick. I would still love to have a relative touch option but it probably won't happen.