iPod Game Category fail?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Demonskunk, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Demonskunk

Demonskunk Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Now, I understand that there can be a few slip ups when adding things to certain categories. I know that games like Zenonia can slip easily into Role Playing, Adventure, and Action and games like Asphault can easily be put into Action as well as Racing and maybe Role Playing if there are some elements...

But how do Storm 8 games keep getting into friggen ADVENTURE?
    I mean, they barely categorize as Role Playing, since you're most certainly not playing any sort of role, you're just stat grinding.

And it's not just crappy myspace style games that are ending up in horrendously wrong categories. I was browsing the adventure category of the games section, and I keep seeing a retarded amount of Castle defense games. Defending a castle requires an unreasonably small amount of adventure... Doesn't apple screen these things in it's retarded approval process? or do they just throw these apps onto a table for a little while to test the developer's patience?

srsly <:x

2. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    [​IMG]
    /sarcasm

3. Demonskunk

Sep 29, 2009
    Picture link fail >3>;

4. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I thought the devs put them in thier own category?

5. Demonskunk

Sep 29, 2009
    I assume they do, but there should be some sort of moderation by iTunes. I mean, if I developed a computer game, and it was sold at Best Buy, I'm sure they'd put it in the Games section if I tried to wedge it in with the music CDs

6. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Good analogy, but I think yours is too far on the extreame, to be taken as a fair comparison. If there is any bit of a game that fits it's parent category, it can technically apply. I'm sure apple doesn't want to spend thier time doing category audits, as it would probably have to become by someone with a lot of experience, as game genres have become very numerous due to people wanting to give them very specific requirements to fit the archetype. I doubt apple has anyone right now who would be able to really do this efficiently, and to get a new employee to do this full time would probably not bring in any additional value to the company. I think our best bet would be to suggest devs put it in more revelant categories. They are the ones loosing most money. If I want to find a good action game, and thier action game is in adventure, they would be harder to find.

Any dev with a brain knows visibility is key to sales. It would be thier loss to have it in a completley wrong category. It's probably safe to assume try are putting them in categories that would make them visable to thier target audience.

7. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I think a dev can choose two categories to list their games under. Its up to them to choose wisely. If they fail then their sales fail. Simple as that. If I am looking for a particular type of game and see some obvious mis-categorized games I skip over them. Surely the dev tries to do what they can for sales.

And to speak to your analogy - if I was looking for music and found a game I would either say - gee wrong spot for this and move on; or by some chance say - wow this is a good discovery that was misfiled! So its going to depend.

Bottom line, the dev has all the control here and will ultimately win or lose in their choices.

8. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    This is why I hate PhotoBucket and rarely use it.

9. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Wait until spiffyone sees this thread.
    He'll rant and rant and rant all the way into the early hours of the morning ;)

10. Demonskunk

Sep 29, 2009
    well that's not really the problem. The problem is that devs are putting (in my opinion bad) games into categories they dont' fit into, and since they're simple to make, and apparently quite popular games, they sneak up onto the top 100 charts, and move /actual/ games that fit into that category out of the listing (and of course I'm talking about the Zynga-myspace-game-ripoffs that are oh-so-numerous on the app store)

11. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

That is exactly what happens. I had a bit of a rant about this in a dev thread here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=41829

My proposed solution is to allow App Store users to suggest the "correct" categories for things that seem out of place, with Apple reviewing and moderating the store based on these suggestions, and penalizing developers who continue to categorize their apps incorrectly. ;)