Will the iPad hurt iPhone gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by txag2005, Mar 31, 2010.

?

Will the iPad hurt the iPhone gaming in the long run?

1. Yes

100 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. No

147 vote(s)
    59.5%
  1. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    This might have been discussed but I am curious what everyone things the iPad's overall affect on iPhone gaming will be.

Over the past couple months it seems like a good amount of developers are focusing thier efforts on the iPad. Do you think that once the iPad launches, if it is sucessful as many feel it will be, that the iPad will replace the iPod Touch/iPhone as the platform of choice? In one or two years do you think the top quality games will be released for the iPad only?

Discuss...

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nintendo is making a 3d ds, and might name it 3ds. Pretty cool eh?

3. laladanger

laladanger Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Well since the iPad has no pocket portability and most likely very awkward tilt controls, those pick up and play games that I see most people buy won't work so well... The bigger games might take off though.

4. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    It all depends. if no one buys it at first, then we are set! But the two will be seperate. In no way could it hurt devs because their games could be seen on 3 devices now, plus an HD app. but for us non ipad gamers, it might hurt not getting the quality, but still, we have over 50 million devices and counting, compared to the around 5 million who will get an ipad at start (random number :p)

5. swampthing

swampthing Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    I don't think so. iPhone users will still be way more numerous than iPad users. And the platforms aren't that different. Besides, the number of quality games release on the iPhone isn't that high, and I'm sure those guys raking it in on the iPhone will not stop developing for it.

6. ijnek

ijnek Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Singapore & Malaysia
    i like my iphone cos i can bring it ard and jus whip it out for a quick round.
    the las time i wan to do on a subway/bus is to balance an ipad while standing

7. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Obviously the iPad is gonna have its exclusives, and some of them will be good. But no way is the iPad gonna outdo the ipod and iphone, there will still be a way larger market and audience than the iPad will ever come close to having.

8. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    3DS vs 3GS :eek:

9. Clint Torres

Clint Torres Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Yeah, and no glasses needed...gnarly.

10. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    It basically boils down to the number of devices out there. As a dev y make games exclusively for a device that only has 3-5 million owners compared to 50+ million owners with the iphone and touch. Plus i hear from a friend that works for apple that the refresh for iphone might have 2x resolution and the a4 chip. If this is true then the only difference will be size between the 2. And the size is what will ultimatly might hurt the ipad.

11. kzgreg

kzgreg Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    so wrong.

12. kzgreg

kzgreg Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009

yeah, you might be way off here.

13. kzgreg

kzgreg Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    I'd like to know why you're all pigeon-holeing the iPad because of it's size. It's not being sold as a gaming device at all, that's just one of it's advantages. The iPad is an all around device mainly for productivity and multimedia. If you buy it just for games you've made the wrong choice, it's about it's all around functionality and it's size will never hurt it.

14. Mr. Obvious

Mr. Obvious Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    IT
    Iphone....NO. IPod......yes. But only in the long run. You see, you still need a phone and you still want your smart phone to have all your apps. Just in case you don't have ol' IPad around. (Which you're not)

The IPod on the other hand will suffer when it's big brother hits the stage and shows how much better gaming is on the larger screen. Only those who can't afford the IPad will still be playing on the IPod.
    Which at first will be many. But in the long run......IPad takes over IPod's base because if you think about it....IPad is what we wanted IPod to be in the first place.

15. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    No. I'll be sticking with a 2nd gen unit, so itouch gaming will still be hurting ipad gaming for quite some time.

16. kzgreg

kzgreg Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009

we'll see. dev's are going to flood the store with iPad games quicker than you think, there will always be ipod gaming because of the portability but iPad will serve just as many.

17. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I always assumed you would have one game and in the menu you would choose which device you were using. Beside pixels, is there a big difference?

18. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

Learn to edit. You replied three times in sequence.

Also, even if the iPad sells far beyond expectations, it will never catch up to the iPhone unless Apple just stops selling them.

19. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    the ipod sure aint gonna suffer its my music machine. i do not need a cell phone at this point in time. so all the devices have there place and people will find what will work for them.

chris.

20. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Not in the least bit.