Firetop Adventure [Platform Game] - Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kodo, Feb 12, 2011.

?

For a retro-arcade-platformer, do the buttons in this game look fine, or terrible?

1. Just fine

28.6%
  2. Terrible

71.4%
  1. Kodo

Kodo Active Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Developer
    UK
    #1 Kodo, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    ** EDIT: new video available here: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=177421805636178&oid=117912024944056&comments

Inogames presents a short preview of our newest game 'Firetop Adventure'. This game will be ready for release in ~8weeks, here are a few details and screen shots. Feedback, ideally of the constructive type is most welcome :)

Firetop Adventure for iPhone & iPod Touch is a fast paced retro-style arcade-puzzle platform game featuring many different challenges across three different chapters.

Firetop Adventure takes place in a world cursed by a deadly plague caused by the minions of Old Karn, an ancient and supernatural evil. Your job is to find the three pieces of the Rubin Amulet, which, when reunited, can be used to gain entrance to Old Karn's tomb, where you can then do away with him.

Two Modes of Play:
    The game features two modes of play, Story Mode and Score Mode. Story Mode tells the story of Firetop Adventure and allows you to unlock levels for the more frantic Score Mode side of the game.

Score mode works very differently from Story Mode. Namely, you start off with only a small amount of time on the clock and you receive extra precious seconds for each pot of gold picked up. As you progress through the levels you receive additional time penalties making for an often-frantic game! Additional special pick-up objects help you to boost your score and complete levels quickly!

The game includes
    • 30 Story Levels over 3 chapters
    • 150 Score Mode levels
    • Auto-saves progress
    • Intuitive & responsive controls.

You can follow my progress on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inogames/117912024944056 where there are also some more screen shots and obviously I'll post here when there are Promo Codes available :)

2. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

3. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    The controls look eh, I don't really wanna say..

4. Kodo

Kodo Active Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Developer
    UK
    lol bmdino, thanks for the comment :) While they might not look great the game only requires left and right movement plus jump, very simple and accessible. For this they do the job very well, I felt a joystick would over complicate things and tilt controls for a retro-platformer I thought would be a bit odd. Was it the style of the buttons or was it just the idea of using separate buttons to control movement that you didn't like?

5. For a brief moment I got excited. But this appears to have nothing to do with the real Mountain King.

[​IMG]

6. Kodo

Kodo Active Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Developer
    UK
    #6 Kodo, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
    Sorry, you are quite right, it is nothing to do with the old Mountain King game.

The story involves you taking on a demon buried in a volcano, and you collect three crowns, one from each chapter of the game, get all three and you become King, which is how the game got it's name, I have now changed it to an older name I used for a while during development (Firetop Adventure)! Thanks for the heads up! Shame I cant find a way to change the name of the thread :(

7. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI

I thought the same exact thing!

I used to play Mountain King on my 2600 when I was a kid.

8. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    The game itself looks great but those controls don't look to convincing.

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    *cough* *cough* Smaller more stylish buttons... *cough*

10. shyguy3

Sep 18, 2010
    I would have to agree. I don't like judging games based on just images alone but those controls/buttons are enough reason to keep me away from it.

11. Kodo

Kodo Active Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Developer
    UK
    #11 Kodo, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback on the controls people. What you don't see in the screen shots is that the inner circle of the buttons animate, like pressing in an arcade cabinet button. I may be changing them as a result because sadly people will always judge a game by the first image they see, lets see how the new Poll goes :) The idea with the buttons was that they are easy to press, nothing is more frustrating than pressing a tiny button in the heat of the moment only to find that you arent pressing the button at all, or that you haven't been precise enough and it hasn't registered. What I would have to do is while making the buttons smaller I wont reduce the interaction sizes by much, so you wouldn't miss the buttons. Mind you, while you are playing your thumbs will be covering them up ;) lol

Thanks

12. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I think I didn't like the style, and maybe the placement.

13. kuluman

kuluman Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Jon Oliva is the REAL Mountain King! :p

14. Kodo

Kodo Active Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Developer
    UK
    @kuluman, The game is no longer called Mountain King, and has nothing to do with the band/musician, tires, mountain climbing poles or the old game :) I have asked the admin to change the thread title.

@bmdino, thanks, I'm not sure the buttons could go anywhere else and you still be able to control the character easily, this is quite a fast paced game, you don't want to have to look at what you are pressing. I'd be interested to hear your ideas though, and maybe you'd be interested in trying it sometime before its due for release? :)

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I love retro platform games but yeah the controls look ugly. Don't have l and r, have arrows plus they need to be smaller

The game itself looks great but please new buttons and no L R. Obvious what direction they are

16. Kodo

Kodo Active Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Developer
    UK
    Thanks psj3809, I will post some replacement screenshots in this thread withing the next few days taking in to account the comments here :) Thank you everyone!

17. shyguy3

Sep 18, 2010
    So I'm guessing "firetop adventures" is the new name now?

18. Kodo

Kodo Active Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Developer
    UK
    Yep, it's a name I used before, and for a while when working on this version of my game.

Buttons (and screenshots) have been updated by the way, gone for a simple look, they are much less in-yer-face and they are smaller. Let me know what you think guys :)

19. shyguy3

Sep 18, 2010
    #19 shyguy3, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
    Not sure what to make of the new controls but I have to admit, they do look much more attractive than the previous ones.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep those new buttons look great, very professional.

I'll be buying this the second its released. From the screenshots it reminds me of some classic 8 bit platform games.