iPhone 3.0

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by danc4498, Mar 17, 2009.

1. danc4498

danc4498 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    #1 danc4498, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
    I didn't see any other threads discussing this, so here's what's relevant to games so far...
    DLC confirmed
    3rd party accessories confirmed (read: GAME CONTROLLER)...
    In game voice chat
    iPod Library Access (Tap Tap Revenge originally allowed custom songs from your library on jailbroken iPhones...)
    Sims 3 (featuring lots um DLC).
    ngmoco games: Touch Pets and LiveFire (an FPS with 3g/wifi multiplayer and push notification invites)

Here's the liveblog if you're not already reading it:
    http://live.gizmodo.com/

2. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Wrong forum buddy

3. bit_Jon

bit_Jon Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    a controller would be cool but then you would have to set the iPhone down, unless it worked like a Weemote and was one handed.

4. danc4498

Jan 15, 2009
    I've always imagined a sleeve you could put over the iPhone that would make it seem like you're holding a PSP.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

3.0 changes everything.

There is so much potential here that my mind is literally blown thinking of the gaming possibilities.

6. tuffcookie

tuffcookie Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Any more reports on what 3.0 will be bringing?

7. iRyan

iRyan Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    ICT Student @ Bangor University Of Wales
    Wales, UK
    I have no idea whats going on :L. Someone care to explain?:)

8. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
  9. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Push Notification ppl!

10. Fantasmo

Fantasmo Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Meh. Give us the facilities that are available on JB phones.
    I'd like catagories and the video camera please.
    If these aren't included then I'll be amazed.

11. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Real-Money Transactions in-game (buying items in The Sims, for example) and subscription-based content (1112 could benefit from this).

12. bit_Jon

bit_Jon Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    Yeah that could work too! As long as it wasn't too bulky and didn't scratch up my phone.

13. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Neil Young from ngmoco : ) is showing a new FPS called LiveFire and also Touch Pets.

14. NJPodder

NJPodder Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    I see a lot of really great additions so far that is going to change the way developers develop games for the platform, but I also see some areas that I a mnot as thrilled about. The ability to include purchasable content from within an app is great for developers, and in no way am I complaining about the feature, but from a consumer standpoint, I start to worry about how much more of my money is going to go towards games now. For example, take some of our favorite games that have been recieving great updates from the beginning. Now, think about each time a game adds a new map, you can be charged for that. new weapons, new updates, etc. I know the update system is not changing, but allowing purchasable content could make great games more expensive (By the way, which I am not saying is a bad thing at all, they work hard and deserve fair compensation). I excitedly worry aobut my checkbook getting smaller as great games start incorporating lots of purchasable content in them.

15. bryanfstew77

bryanfstew77 Active Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Ok since im not the most tech savy person youd meet im kinda confused on what this means. Is this a future software update for the iphone/ipod that will allow newer features like 2.0, 2.1 (basically is this going to be a 3.0 update) or is this just the development kit for developers to make new programs that in a few months there will be a new software update that allows these programs to do more things? If someone can explain thatd be great.

16. spawn12345

spawn12345 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    You are right.. its already happening
    The new fps livefire

17. NJPodder

Sep 17, 2008
    It's a software update, they are going to 3.0. Right now, they are showing a lot about how development will interact with it, and intertwining it with all the new features it will bring. In simple non tech terms, 2.0 -> 3.0 means there are enough signifigant changes to make it the next generation OS, whereas a 2.0 -> 2.1 would add minimal functionality and bug fixes typically.

18. NJPodder

Sep 17, 2008
    And I think it is really great for developrs, so I hope I am not misspeaking here, but my worry is that there will be developers who make excellent games for $0.99 and then essentially make us pay $xxx in the game before it is at a playable level that we are so used to with the way things are right now.

19. Danny-Doggy

Danny-Doggy Active Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Purchasable content from within an app is crap.:mad: Having to pay for new guns and other in game stuff is not good in any way. One of the great things about iphone gaming is the low price and great free updates.

Would you pay 99 cents for each new Sway charicter?

20. danc4498

Jan 15, 2009
    I think DLC tends to be a problem in most games now. I've looked forward to many games and been severely disappointed by features that should have been in the game, but in turn were charged for at a later time via DLC.

Luckily, iTunes has a great system for reviewing these apps, and as soon as a game abuses the DLC system, it will be torn apart in the reviews.