Should I use microphone in my app?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by R40ul, Jul 26, 2011.

1. R40ul

R40ul Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Hi there,
    I'm currently creating an app that will embed several mini-games. In one of them, I'd like the user to blow in the microphone in order to trigger some events.
    Thus, as I didn't knew myself that my iPad had actually a microphone (shame on me), I was looking for a survey or something like that about the microphone using in apps, and also about how much people knows they have a microphone in their iPad.
    More generally, do you think is it user friendly to use such an input in an app, and especially in an app where most of the previous interactions were triggered via touch?

Thanks for your answers.

2. Attollos Technologies

Attollos Technologies Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    iPhone Development Company
    To be honest, I would never use the microphone, its too hit and miss in my opinion about whether or not you are getting accurate input.

Just personal opinion though :D

3. SimonTag

SimonTag Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Product Evangelist
    Dundee, Scotland
    Why not? It's a nice quirk that will add a touch of character to your game!

4. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    If you think the user would like to use it, then do it. You can always have an arrow pointing to the microphone on the respective device.

But, don't add it because you can. If it's better from the user's perspective to use touch instead, then I think you should go with touch.

5. I played a game on my son's DS that required you to blow into the mic. It was inaccurate and annoying. He would blow saliva on his DS. You looked ridiculous doing it. It was good for a laugh just for the sheer craziness of it but it was very difficult to accomplish the required task.

Also, isn't the mic on the bottom side of the ipad/iphone? Will the player have to turn the device sidways and blow into it? The location of the mic is not obvious so it would have to be well documented where to blow into. I bet you will have a ton of people blowing into the top of the device and getting frustrated.

On the plus side, I can't think of another game that uses this. It may help set you apart, but possibly for the wrong reasons.

6. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Funny, I also realized that iPad has a microphone just last week, and did a huge facepalm; after trying a couple of external microphones that didn't work for my iPod touch, and just before going out to buy an iPhone because I badly needed a device with a microphone to test with.

7. R40ul

R40ul Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Thanks for all your answers.
    Looks like everyone finds pro and cons. What I'm going to do is to program a beta version of this part of my app, and will give it to users in order to see their reactions.
    I'm going to do something with a lot of help to let users understand what they have to do.
    Be sure that I'll tell you how it goes!

8. SimonTag

SimonTag Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Product Evangelist
    Dundee, Scotland
    Definitely! It would be great to hear how your users react. I have seen a lot of NDS microphone usage in this manner though which always seems to bring a smile, so I am sure you won't go wrong.

9. R40ul

R40ul Member

Mar 18, 2011
    I've finished a first beta version of the "microphone-powered" game, and even if it's very rough, users loves it !
    They really enjoy this kind of new experience, and it adds a touch of originality in the app', so, they don't really care if it's user-friendly, or easy to use.
    Definitely a good thing, but it think it must be use with moderation.

10. bishopia

bishopia Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Washington, DC
    FWIW I recall reviewers complaining about DS games that required blowing, clapping, yelling, etc into the mic because games like this are commonly played on public transportation or other public places and it's embarrassing.

If it really makes the game unique thought it might be worth it :D