What are your favourite TurboGrafx-16 games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by starjimstar, Oct 20, 2011.

1. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I never had one so I'm looking for recommendations (and I'm not picky about genre.) I just bought the Bonk games 'cause that seemed like a no-brainer but I don't know where to go from here.

2. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    It never officially made it to the Uk, but for starters I would say R-type if the turbografx-16 virtual console version on Wii is anything to go by. Game is ruthlessly rock hard and widely regarded as the best version of the game available.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Have to try to find the links but theres some great retro websites dedicated to the TurboGrfx (Or PC Engine as many of us call it).

The app 'could' be brilliant, theres some very good games in it but i wish they added more and more, seems to have gone quiet (As does the Capcom one).

I've got a fair few games bought for the app, mostly shooting ones and the odd platform (Bonk) game. But a great machine back in the 90's

4. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I bought the standalone app a while back but I took your suggestion anyway and purchased it in-app to free up Springboard real-estate. Thanks. :)

5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #5 bigrand1, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
    Are you talking about the original system and games or your choices given to the limited list provided here that you can get for the IOS? Back in the day, I had the TG-16 unit and lots of games for it and have owned 3 of the Turbo Express hand held units since then, and it was definitely THE best portable in it's day. It was also very expensive, and still is if you wanted to get one now! The app for it now is great for someone like me to have, but it is very limited in the amount of games offered, and I've been waiting for the better titles to come out for quite a while! A few good ones so far and the rest are crap. Anyways, the ones to get here are:
    Bonk
    Bonk's Revenge
    Devil's Crush
    Vigilante
    New Adventure Island
    Ninja Spirit
    Soldier Blade
    Victory Run
    China Warrior
    Moto Roader
    Military Madness
    The rest is worthless IMO. Raiden was a big let down here but was great for the original system. You asked for it, so these round out my faves if you get the originals. There are others, but this list is pretty good.
    Keith Courage
    Blazing Lazers
    Splatterhouse
    Aero Blasters
    Parasol Stars
    J.J. & Jeff
    Galaga '90
    Bloody Wolf
    Air Zonk
    Ballistix
    Neutopia
    Outrun
    Psychosis
    Gunboat
    Space Harrier
    Thunder Blade
    Cadash, Final Lap Twin
    Bonk 3
    Alien Crush
    Altered Beast
    That ought to help!

6. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I am asking about games bundled in the iOS TurboGrafx-16 GameBox emulator app. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

7. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #7 bigrand1, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
    Well, either way, that should help you! The first shorter list then.

8. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Thanks a bunch. I'll give those a try right now.