Next generation of iDevice: What do you want

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SpaceJunk, Sep 22, 2009.

1. SpaceJunk

SpaceJunk Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    What features/interface/hardware/functionality do you want to see in the next generation of this platform, game and non-game related. What improvements can you see being made to the form factor and shiite (please don't give me an infraction, I'm street like that). Yeah so offer your input on this matter. Now remember when I says next gen, I don't means iPhone 3GSS Hyper Fighting Edition. I mean iPhone 4G!?!?! :eek::D:eek::D

:rolleyes:

2. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
  3. iMick

iMick Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Student
    The Netherlands
    I guess there will be the new cortex-A8 clocked at 1Ghz and I hope for more memory (512MB) and better graphics core :p

4. fivejane

fivejane Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 23, 2009
  5. Jerson420

Jerson420 Active Member

Jul 2, 2009
    OLED screen, play hd vids,better core, more ram, camera and mic for touch,more cheaper,faster boot up,cuztamization,and a xray camera to see through cloths and thers more i can think of but to lazy to type it all

6. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I want to see the end of that stupid curved metal back on the iTouch. I want to see a nice flat, shiny, black back and a camera with mic. Also, I want a touch screen that doesn't crack so easily.

7. beetle004

beetle004 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Two joysticks,oled screen,ps3 level gfx:D:D

8. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    iTouch- CAMERA!
    All, the ability to put a background on our screens, a new back, (like someone said before) and...
    The ability to put titles on our "on the go" playlists.(On the ipod... :D) We already have a keyboard... So that one should just come with the software update.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm more into OS upgrades than hardware upgrades... but if better hardware is required for a better OS then I want that too.

10. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Headphones that hook into our ears, then put us in the games, also enabling us to add whatever functionality we want to our devices. Then we can carry around an iPhone for not just gaming, phone calls, and organizers, but it can turn into a car, make free food, and provide housing!!! :p
    That would be cool though. :rolleyes:

Actually, since I just bought the 3rd gen to replace my 1st gen iTouch, I'd rather they just lower the prices in the 4th generation, then add tons of stuff in the 5th generation, when I get a new one possibly. :p

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Depends. You can mean iPhone 4G, but if a 4G network is the only difference, it isn't much of a next gen successor in "gamer speak", is it? In Apple speak, "gens" can refer to anything from slight product updates/remodels ala iPhone to iPhone 3G/1st "gen" touch to 2nd "gen", which would be analogous to PSP 1000 to 2000, or DS to DSlite or actual true next gen successor models like iPhone/iPhone 3G/1st-2nd "gen" touch to iPhone 3Gs/3rd "gen" touch, which is analogous to GBA to DS. In "gamer" speak...only the latter examples really apply as true next gen successors.

Anyway, if you're really alluding to a "gamer" usage of "next gen" (meaning a true update)...I'd rather Apple wait at least 4 years before implementing anything. They could have slight remodels, ala 1st to 2nd gen touch with slightly faster processors and such, but I don't want to see actual overall next gen successor ala 3Gs with an actual next gen CPU, GPU and double the RAM update for quite a while. Apple needs to learn the wisdom of longer product life cycles for each true gen. At least four years is a good length of time before issuing true next gen successor models.

Here is what I'd want on a true next gen update:

1. Cortex A9 MP dual core CPU

2. PowerVR SGX 545 dual core GPU, or whatever the PowerVR people have in the works for the successor to SGX

3. 512 MB of RAM, with as much as half assigned to the GPU, or a separate bit of VRAM for the GPU.

4. Better overall battery life

5. Camera, either still or still and video standard across all models

6. Vibration standard across all models (this helps gameplay with the accelerometer by providing some feedback to the gamer)

7. Digital compass standard across all models. This is actually useful in gameplay as it can either work alone or in conjunction with the acceleromter to provide better control or truer more 1:1 control or even actual first person gaming.

8. Going back to #3 for a bit, Apple should really think about updating the OS to have the GPU handle more of the workload, which might allow for multitasking which is sorely lacking in the current devices. This would not apply to the games, however (as you want the GPU available only to the games when playing them), which leads me to...

9. Simple software update: when we launch a game, the background operations should either be shut down completely on the iPod touch, with the background operations given the absolute minimum amount of RAM for the iPhone (so you iPhone users can still get calls, etc., which, as a matter of fact, should really be the main background operation pertinent on iPhone when running other apps). And when quitting the games, the RAM gets freed up quickly.

10. Here's a biggie: Keep the open SDK. It's good for the platform. But, in addition, as some devs wish to have higher level access to the hardware of the platform (such as Carmack and the folks at id), allow for a second "premium" SDK, for higher fees, which allows for said higher level (or rather lower level) access to the hardware. These games and apps as a whole, in accordance with the higher SDK costs, could also be sold for a higher amount than the current $9.99 threshold and given their own section of the app store. Most indie devs I don't think would complain much as their apps don't really hinge on better access to the hardware and they don't have enough monetary resources to do such a thing even if they did have access. Plus there would be a greater distinction between the indies and the "big" players, allowing the indies more breathing room in the lower MSRP market for their apps.

12. DrMonkey

DrMonkey Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    I want a camera and a mic, and have games make use of these features like the DSi.

Since Steve Jobs said that the new iPod touch 3g doesn't have a camera because people are using it more as a gaming system. So why not have an actual joystick and buttons? Or at least and add-on like that. D:

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I've yet to see the DSi's mic or cam actually put to -fun- use in a game. So far it's been nothing but a gimmick for boring casual minigames... plus the DSi's camera resolution is laughable. So... I find it hard to care. The camera would be more likely to be put to good use, but no one really wants to make noises to play a game.

14. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I want real games. But that would be up to Apple.

15. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

#15 Will090, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
    -Front Facing Camera as well as back for iChat connectivity
    -More colors
    -Removable Battery
    -OLED Screen
    -(Even) Faster Proccessing and Graphics Capabilities
    -Open to any cellular network
    -4G connectivity
    -Slide Out Keyboard
    -Unlimited Battery Life :D

But if Apple gives it too many features (which they won't) when SkyNet is invented John Conner won't even stand a chance

16. Kintaro360

Kintaro360 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Vienna
    Smaller device but bigger Screen with higher resolution!

And open for all providers!!

17. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I want the iPod Touch to have a camera as well. And a microphone. Seriously. I have that stupid microphone app on my device from the 3.0 update and I can't get rid of it.

I also want more ram and faster processor with a better graphics card.
    I basically want the next touch to be more powerful than the 3Gs.

And an SD card slot would be nice.

18. hawks12thman

hawks12thman Well-Known Member

Camera, microphone, and a more stable OS because 3.1 is way too buggy...but it's still kinda early don't ya think?

19. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    A removable battery.

Thats all.

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Pushing it a little don't you think? You won't be able to hold the device without your fingers touching the screen.