Maybe Gameloft can make the star craft ripoff a real competitive rts

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stirolak26, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    And one that can generate a lot of interest. But like the touch arcade front page article said, its been proven with pure touch controls its hard to make a traditional rts without sacrifices and none really generated much success. So do you guys think it is because most of or fingers are fatter than a mouse cursor and its hard to accurately select units with an emulated mouse icon or pure touch controls it's just also not too accurate due to selection boxes? If so do you guys think the solution could e for game loft to make it for iPad and require the stylus? I mean nintendo ds has done pretty much this and succeeded so why shouldn't game loft? If that's the only option I mean.

2. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    They would lose so many sales if they went with just iPad and stylus (if there is such a thing) it wouldn't be worth it in the least, I also beg to differ that a good rts can't be done on the iPhone, look up Land Air Sea Warfare, incredible rts, simply amazing and works on the iphone perfect.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I think and air sea warfare and especially red conquest have amazing controls..

4. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    well dont quote me, the article author, Brad Nicholas (http://toucharcade.com/2010/12/02/gameloft-announces-rts-star-front-collision) claimed it cant be done or failed every time (so he must consider those games not real rts games or failed attempts). Or maybe he means those games are just not as complex as they could be which in that point my first post still stands with a stylus and the ipads bigger screen it could work.

and it does exist:http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0032J1NM0/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

5. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Direct quote from the article:
    "The traditional RTS doesn't translate well to iOS devices, but that's not discouraging Gameloft."

6. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    read this ign editorial (he is basically repeating what Ive been arguing with you ppl about the last two days and that is the ipad has great rts potential and it is hampered down due to multiapp support of rts with the iphone and because apple and devs underutilizing its gaming capabilities):
    http://wireless.ign.com/articles/113/1138251p1.html

"When I first considered iPad gaming in early 2010, I assumed we'd see a lot of real-time strategy games. After all, the iPad seems perfect for them. The large screen offers a lot of viewable real estate with great detail and the ample touchscreen space would make it easy to dig through menus, draw boxes, and manipulate units. Yet there really haven't been that many solid efforts.

And, really, why hasn't Blizzard put StarCraft on the iPad?" There is no reason every ipad game has to be tailored down to a small viewing screen due to the inclusion of an iphone version. Just start making games for its full potential already. You can put more things on the screen not just the same iphone screen but everything in it bigger.

7. Ipadboy

Ipadboy Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Behind your mother
    Unofficial World of WorldCraft coming to Ipad next year you know.

8. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Have you ever even played a real RTS game?

I'm pretty sure fat fingers and innacurate selection boxes aren't the biggest reason most RTSs don't work :rolleyes:

Red Conquest did a great job of working with the iPod's limiations and actually crafted a game that took advantage of the touch screen.

9. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

You keep overlooking one simple thing: 5million iPads vs 10's of millions of iPhones/Touches. It's a no brainer they're going to develop for both in order to make money. When will you ever understand that?

10. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    When he maxes out on the number of threads alotted per user.

11. Midnight09

Midnight09 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Stirolak26 - Dude we get it, you think the iPad is greatest piece of consumer electronics ever created and the iPhone is a steaming pile of garbage. You don't need to continue to post in every thread going on and on about this. I think you fail to understand that developers don't make games for the best piece of technology. They make games where they feel they have the best chance at success. The numbers just aren't there for developers to put most of their resources into the iPad. You really need to get a grasp on that.

Back on topic, I'm not counting out the potential for RTS games on another platform. For those of you who remember the 90's, FPS games were almost exclusive to PC. The few on consoles were horirble outside of a couple N64 games (Goldeneye and Perfect Dark). All of a sudden Bungie made Halo for the Xbox and now nearly 10 years later, most people play FPS games on a console vs the PC. I even almost prefer a controller for an FPS now. It's not unrealistic to thinkt he same could happen for RTS games. People said the same thing about FPS games and controls 10-15 years ago.

So who knows? Do i expect an RTS equal to the quality of one on PC? No. I do think that a good RTS is possible on this device and I hope Gameloft delivers.

12. jasonc506

jasonc506 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Am I the only one that thought Command and Conquer controlled good on the ipod? I think rts games could be just fine on the iPhone and iPad but not too many big names have worked on them yet.

13. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    I'd never want starcraft 2 on an Idevice. I can only imagine how much battery it would consume, I like my games to last longer than how much time I can usually put in on the go. And when I could invest the time for a match, I'm in my dorm room next to my laptop.

And I'm sure the vast majority would pick to play that on a PC/Mac over any handheld.

Why hasn't Blizzard put it on the ipad? Because they know it wouldn't hold a candle to the real version of it, and they don't like putting out half baked goods.

Starcraft 2 can stay away from my idevice, and this is coming from someone who watches Day9 daily, Husky, Psy, HD, Ahnaris and buys a ticket to every season of the GSL.

14. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    The iPad has away better battery life than even psp or ds.

15. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    And to the ppl who think it's impossible to make a good rts game for the iPad, why not? I mean it seems there has not even been an effort yet in terms of online competitive games and games like land air sea warfare showed a engine (that isn't supported by any online matchmaking) so why would you dismiss a possibility if only single player games have been tried so far on the advices in the genre? and they proved control wise wasn't the issue it probably has more t do with the user base not being active like the batlenet user base or even close to it for them to make it worthwhile to implement online previously. Even many pc rts games have dead communities after coming out due to how much competition there is. I mean also, if Warcraft 1 and 2 control and pretty good on iDOS for the iPad why can't a real blizzard game be made using similar interface? Force us to use a fake mouse cursor and stylus if u have to but at least get it done somehow jeez blizzard. And the ds has a small screen too and proved rts games with its cheap graphics could even be good for it too. So that proves ur wrong touch interfaces don't work for them as well.

16. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    #16 Drexra, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
    I wouldn't want it on those platforms either. And as bigger as the screen is on the ipad, I'd still say its not big enough. I use one daily and I'd rather not play it then have to worry about "How is my battery doing? Ugh I wish this screen was bigger..."

The ipad is fun, its a nifty little piece of technology. I personally don't see the appeal, itouch is portable, it fits in my pocket. Ipad....I would need to upgrade my pockets.

Some games just have no place on the IOS, despite how much we want them too. I would LOVE to see Bioshock come to my itouch, but it would be the red headed stepchild that I love less.

Starcraft would be even worse off.

"And to the ppl who think it's impossible to make a good rts game for the iPad, why not? I mean it seems there has not even been an effort yet in terms of online competitive games and games like land air sea warfare showed a engine (that isn't supported by any online matchmaking) so why would you dismiss a possibility if only single player games have been tried so far on the advices in the genre? and they proved control wise wasn't the issue it probably has more t do with the user base not being active like the batlenet user base or even close to it for them to make it worthwhile to implement online previously. Even many pc rts games have dead communities after coming out due to how much competition there is. I mean also, if Warcraft 1 and 2 control and pretty good on iDOS for the iPad why can't a real blizzard game be made using similar interface? Force us to use a fake mouse cursor and stylus if u have to but at least get it done somehow jeez blizzard. And the ds has a small screen too and proved rts games with its cheap graphics could even be good for it too. So that proves ur wrong touch interfaces don't work for them as well."

The controls wouldn't fit on the touch screen or an any other mobile device. Hell, I don't even think consoles can do it properly, there is a reason most people don't remember starcraft 64 ;).

To play the game as it is intended you need a keyboard. Sure you can play with only a mouse, but it is a major restriction that makes no sense to put on yourself.

It would only end up being a watered down shadow of itself.

17. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Well if not star craft I meant that I see there is no reason competitive online multiplayer centered rts game where idevice owners play other idevice owners (or even pc possible) would not work and be fun. Just cause no one has developed one like that doesn't mean it wouldn't work and if game loft doesn't sacrifice anything too much for casuals this could be a good at least 2v2 game.

18. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    And if not star craft 2 why not make a proper Warcraft 1-3 port or ports with better speed and fps than the idos versions that controlled alright?

19. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    Because Blizzard fully realizes that more people want Heart of the Swarm and Diablo 3 before a watered down version of old games ;)

20. Midnight09

Midnight09 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    I don't get how not being personally interested in an RTS on an iDevice means they shouldn't exist. If they make one and you aren't interested, don't buy it. I know that any RTS on my iPhone will be inferior to PC versions, but then again, I'll have portability. I love the iPhone Civilization Revolution, despite it's disadvantages to the console version and Revolutions disadvantages to the superior full Civ titles on PC. Just because a portable title has limitations doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.