What Is The Best Dungeon Crawler Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by js1210, Jan 24, 2011.

1. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    #1 js1210, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
    What is the best dungeon crawler game available for the ipod/iphone? Im talking about games like Dungeon Crawl, Nethack, Powder, ect. Old school stuff(but still fun). Currently im deciding between Rogue Touch and Sword of Falbar, which one is better? And are there any better crawlers available? I also have 100 Rogues, another dungeon crawler(got it for free). I dont particularlily care for it(although i like dungeon crawlers) Are the other games better than this one? Please answer, i want to use my money as wisely as possible.

2. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Solomon's Keep

3. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    you mentioned most of the good ones in your opening post.

check out, 8 Bit Treasures tho.

roguelikes are my favorite genre. you might also like League of Epic Heroes also, even tho its not your typical roguelike.

4. Fieryseraph

Fieryseraph Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2011
  5. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    #6 js1210, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    Thank you for the suggestions everyone.
    -I aleady have Solomon's Keep downloaded(got it while it was free) its a great action-rpg. Excellent graphics, good randomly generated levels, forgiving, but not too easy. It is a dungeon-crawler, but its more like Gauntlet than Rogue. Id say its worth the dollar it will now cost you to buy.
    -Catacombs is pretty much a slightly slower Gauntlet, works well(its currently FREE so get it while you can)!
    -The Dungeon seemed like an excellent traditional crawler. But lack of lite version and no randomly generated levels turned me off. Seems like itd be worth a tru though.
    -The Isle Of 8-bit Treasures seemed like a decent crawler, but once again no random levels, and reveiwers said it was too hard
    -Dark Raider has a LITE version available, so you can try it out yourselves. I didn't particularily care for it, idk, it just didnt...click.
    -Isle of 8-bit Treasures seemed like a decent dungeon crawler, but i read reviews that it was much too hard(also, once again no random level generation).
    -League of Epic Heros has been removed from the App store(copyright infringement).
    -Sword of Fargol seems like an excellent dungeon crawler, randomly generated levels, the highest of praise, cool graphics, and traditional roguelike gameplay without being too unforgiving. I think this might be the one that i choose to download.
    Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. Thru were helpful. Anyone else have anymore?

6. vbxz47

vbxz47 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Ohio
    +1 :)

7. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    #8 Rixx, Jan 25, 2011
    I love Roguelikes, here is whats in my Roguelike 1 Folder:

Sword of Fargoal.
    Rogue Touch.
    Powder.
    100 Rogues.
    Cavern.
    iNethack.
    The Dungeon.
    Isle of 8bit Treasures.
    Mysterious Land.
    Abyss Quest.

Those last 2 I never heard anything about, found them one day searching the app store.
    They appear to be Roguelikes with medium level translations, but they are fun to play just you have to interpret the wording a bit. :)

http://appshopper.com/games/mysterious-land
    http://appshopper.com/games/abyss-quest

Both of those have lite versions.

Rixx

Edit: sample from Abyss Quest description:
    Abyss Quest

It is a game of the genre that is called roguelike. You advance to the interior of the dungeon generated at random by operating the player character, and will take the item specified by each quest home. It is a gate where a downward triangle faces the lower layer. Let's find the gate while picking up the item that has fallen and fighting with the enemy. The triangle becomes upward if a specified item of quest is picked up, and it comes to be able to return to the upper layer.

It comes to be able to challenge the following quest by clearing quest. It comes to be able to challenge another dungeon by clearing several quest, too.

Most operations are done with five buttons that line up the screen where the map is displayed and under. When it is left to touch, the movement and the attack are repeated. The dungeon is composed of the room and the passage, and there is no room by the situation. The room sees in that all. However, the passage sees only the player surrounding.

It is uncertain whether most of the item is an item where picking everything up has what effect. The effect turns out in using it by way of experiment.

When energy cuts or HP becomes 0, it is returned to the starting point. At this time, there is the following penalties.
    -The item acquired in the dungeon disappears at a certain rate.
    -Player's level falls and one falls. (When the level is one, do not fall more than it. )

By the way, because the existing state of things is preserved when ending, it is possible to interrupt and to restart at any time.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Deep Deep Dungeon is also pretty fun.

9. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    #10 Rixx, Jan 25, 2011
    Roguelike 2 Folder:

DungeonMoto
    League of Epic Heroes
    Nethack
    Slash'Em
    Rogue
    Mazugs
    Deep Deep Dungeon

These are also fun, esp DungeonMoto with its strange take on a roguelike. :)

Rixx

10. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Haha wow, that is a LOT of dungeon crawlers. Thanks Rixx :) Sword of fargoal is still looking like the best option here though, keep those dungeon crawlers coming! I'm going to make a comprehensive list in the original post

11. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    For some reason it seems Cavern is no longer in the app store :(

12. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #13 eev, Jan 25, 2011
    Rogue touch is probably the best rl game in the appstore, close to hardcore rogue like games and has nice ui and controls.

13. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Thanks for the vote eev! Lots of people have written to me to say how much they still love Rogue Touch, even after nearly 2 years in the app store!

My own quick rundown on the roguelikes out there:

Rogue Touch is getting another pretty significant update in the near future, which will include a re-write of the rendering system for high speed and low memory usage on all iDevices running 4.2... that update will make it blindingly quick on older firmware 4.1, 4.0, 3.x! :eek:

Sword of Fargoal is excellent as well, coincidentally getting a new update "soonish" that will dramatically alter the gameplay. Watching to see how that goes!

The Dungeon is pretty unique and fun, a fresh take on the old "Dungeons of Doom" game on the Mac.

100 Rogues had a rocky start, but has been improving steadily with every release... It is probably the most animated roguelike currently available, until my game projects are complete and ready for sale that is! ;)

Sorry to see that Cavern has vanished from the store, it was another nice choice. iNethack, Slash'em, and POWDER are great for the super-hardcore roguelike fans.

The future is going to be fun, Spirit Hunter Mineko is coming along nicely and may actually surpass Shiren the Wanderer as my favorite roguelike/dungeon crawler game ever! I may be a bit biased as the developer, but I have also played HUNDREDS of hours of Shiren so I feel qualified to judge. :D

Anyone who's interested in roguelikes and dungeon crawlers and hasn't seen the upcoming thread on Mineko, take a look here! The video and images there are unfortunately out of date, lots of progress and improvement has occurred over the past few months. Some NEW pictures and video are coming soon...

14. Rumblecat

Rumblecat Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Thailand
    #15 Rumblecat, Jan 25, 2011
    Sword of Fargoal is brilliant. Get it. I hate to think how many hours I spent on my first play-through, but it was an epic adventure that saw the game firmly end up in my all time top ten.

Rogue Touch is a good call as well, very nicely done (and I'm not just saying that because the developer is above me..:) ). Sorry to hear that Cavern has gone, I liked it a lot- tactically at first it was all about getting enough loot to set yourself up as a badass- making frequent returns to the surface to sell your stuff and buy new items- and once you were all kitted out it became a great journey down into the depths.

I quite like 100 Rogues but tend to reach for Fargoal or Touch first if I want a fix of roguelike action. I'd recommend grabbing both of them as they offer two different styles of rogue gameplay. And Fargoal is apparently on sale now as well. I'd have said grab Cavern for the third but... :(

I'd not heard of the Dungeon- need to check that out now. DungeonMoto is insane... it's sort of rogue, sort of Pac man, sort of Dungeons and Dragons... it's either a work of genius or utter madness, can't quite work it out but it had one of the most inspired moments in a dungeon crawler that I've seen that quite literally took me out of the game... to say anymore would ruin the moment but it was pretty nuts.

15. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    #16 medianotzu, Jan 25, 2011
    Buy Rogue Touch and Sword of Fargoal immediately. Both are amazing. If you can only choose one, however, look at my sig. :) But Fargoal is on sale for 99 cents, so might as well just get 'em both.

The Dungeon is quite nice as well. And I liked, didn't love, Cavern...very sad to hear it's not available anymore. Does anyone know what happened?

16. n8equalsd

n8equalsd Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I'd say 100 Rogues, however that game seriously needs to be updated because the constant crashing makes it unbearable. I just found out that Sword of Fargoal is on sale so I absolutely HAD to get it. I'm loving it right now.

17. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    ^ cant beat it for a buck.
    great game.

18. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Sword of fargoal is on sale for 99 cents right now, so i think you can guess which one i decided to buy :D
    I decided to play through 100 rogues again(after i updated it) with less crashes in it, i must say it was quite a fun roguelike. Definitely not one of the best though, imo.
    My question about rogue touch is how is it any different from rogue on the ipod(which is free)? What improvements have been made to warrant the 3 dollats?

19. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    Aw man I'm sad to hear about Cavern disappearing... what happened?