★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Apple A5 discussion (new iPad 2 SoC)

03-02-2011, 03:52 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 577
Apple A5 discussion (new iPad 2 SoC)

From the looks of it what we got is :
  • Dual Core Cortex A9 CPU @ 1.0 GHz
  • 512MB (or more!) eDDR2 RAM (necessary for 9X graphics boost)
  • Dual core SGX543MP2 GPU with 9X the performance over the A4

I'm thoroughly impressed. The A4 had little if any CPU and GPU performance increases over the 3GS, but the A5....simply hands down a phenomenal update.

9X the graphics power. Imagine Infinity Blade at 60 FPS. This opens up so many doors for iDevice gaming.

What are your thoughts?


(How did I guess the exact specs? A single SGX 543 is 3-4X faster than the old SGX 535. With two, that's 6-8X the perfor5mance but with eDDR2 memory and better drivers the 9X figure is possible. The CPU is definitely a Cortex-A9. RAM has to be 512MB or more or the 1080P output wouldn't work.)
03-02-2011, 05:11 PM
#2
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 31.560499, -111.904128
Posts: 7,471
The tech specs are nice, but I'll wait for the iPad that has retina display. The extra pixels with the iPhone 4 make a surprisingly big difference to the graphics. Now when I play games on my old iPhone the graphics look horribly pixelated and grainy.

Hakuna Matata

03-02-2011, 05:34 PM
#3
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
The tech specs are nice, but I'll wait for the iPad that has retina display. The extra pixels with the iPhone 4 make a surprisingly big difference to the graphics. Now when I play games on my old iPhone the graphics look horribly pixelated and grainy.
But 2048 x 1536 is what you need for a Retina Display. Although not impossible, Apple will have to upgrade to specs past this and even past the NGP to run anything smoothly at that resolution. So expect needing a quad core CPU and GPU and 1GB RAM. Most PCs can't even handle games at that resolution.

Also with all this extra graphics power, developers can just use a ton of anti-aliasing on games, giving them the same clarity as the retina display.
03-02-2011, 05:49 PM
#4
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Uk
Posts: 2,209
Sounds good but it will take nearly a year game wise for developers too use its full potential by then the Ipad 3 will be on the way so i will probably wait for that but then again who knows

Gamecentre- howlingwolf70, Open Feint -howlingwolfuk
Plus+ - howlingwolf. Crystal - syclone

Currently playing - Bumpy Road,Dofus Battles,Zenonia 3,Paladog,Nuts!
03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
#5
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhondTouch3G View Post
But 2048 x 1536 is what you need for a Retina Display. Although not impossible, Apple will have to upgrade to specs past this and even past the NGP to run anything smoothly at that resolution. So expect needing a quad core CPU and GPU and 1GB RAM. Most PCs can't even handle games at that resolution.

Also with all this extra graphics power, developers can just use a ton of anti-aliasing on games, giving them the same clarity as the retina display.
+1 I'm happy with the resolution.
03-02-2011, 06:30 PM
#6
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhondTouch3G View Post
Also with all this extra graphics power, developers can just use a ton of anti-aliasing on games, giving them the same clarity as the retina display.
If thats the case regarding resolution, thats good to hear.

Game Center: Diligence
03-02-2011, 06:44 PM
#7
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: #317
Posts: 1,216
Send a message via Yahoo to swishinj
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhondTouch3G View Post
But 2048 x 1536 is what you need for a Retina Display. Although not impossible, Apple will have to upgrade to specs past this and even past the NGP to run anything smoothly at that resolution. So expect needing a quad core CPU and GPU and 1GB RAM. Most PCs can't even handle games at that resolution.

Also with all this extra graphics power, developers can just use a ton of anti-aliasing on games, giving them the same clarity as the retina display.
Nice point, that is true. Even with thr new CPU it couldnt possibly run at such a high resolution. That would be awesome though. Buy it would cost lots of $$$$$$

You won't find me on the leaderboards.
03-02-2011, 07:09 PM
#8
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 976
I know it all comes down to personal preferance but I'd rather have a low resolution with more detail and more AA than just an insane retina display.

On another note, hopefully tell tales games will run smooth now
03-02-2011, 07:18 PM
#9
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAwesome View Post
I know it all comes down to personal preferance but I'd rather have a low resolution with more detail and more AA than just an insane retina display.

On another note, hopefully tell tales games will run smooth now
Exactly. Would you rather play a game with MW2 graphics at 1080P (just an example, MW2 actually only runs at 600P) or Crysis 2 on 720P? Clearly the game with higher visual quality is Crysis 2 by a long shot, even if it is on low res, just enable AA and it's all good.

Last edited by iPhondTouch3G; 03-02-2011 at 07:33 PM.
03-02-2011, 07:21 PM
#10
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhondTouch3G View Post
Exactly. Would you rather play a game with MW2 graphics at 1080P (just an example, MW2 actually only runs at 600P) or Crysis 2 on 720P? Clearly the game with higher visua quality is Crysis 2 by a long shot, even if it is on low res, just enable AA and it's all good.
Glad im not alone on this, that's exactly what i was thinking