Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

The spammer above advertising a game making company. Its a joke. The home page has 'Game outsourcing' not Game outsoursing and they talk about core values/high standards !!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Developer
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Everybody has a good idea. The idea itself is worthless. Very rarely do an artist and programmer flock to someone with no experience in the industry because they have a good idea. I've got more good ideas than I have time to make them. If you can't directly contribute to the game yourself, be prepared to hire a team. It's a totally legit way to go btw, but you better have a few $K to invest.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:10 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

I agree with most people here: The idea itself is worthless AND just get started.

The issue I see with many young would-be-game developers is that they dream of these huge epic games. Stuff that costs way too much time and money. You don't start learning the guitar by working on a huge speed-metal epos either. You start with easy things. The same goes for this: Get yourself a game-making-environment (engine, game maker etc.) There's lots of good resources for this. Then go and make a REALLY REALLY simple game. No. Simpler. Just really simple. And see how this works. Then learn and work and learn and work and and learn and work and so on.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:56 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Find someone who has a game engine built in to make [game X]. Find a freelance artist who wants to license their art into [game X]. If you combine the two together, then you can make games!

...or you can learn it yourself.

But what a lot of developers fail to do is learn how to sell them to publishers. A lot of my friends developed some -really- fun games, but can't get it published cause, well, they are talking to businessmen who don't play games.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkbombStudios View Post
The issue I see with many young would-be-game developers is that they dream of these huge epic games. Stuff that costs way too much time and money..
Ahh come on, it's easy! Here's a pitch: GTA + Skyrim + Smash Bros + Forza + Gears of War + Angry Birds all in one game. It'll run on 360, PS3, PC, Mac, iOS, Amiga and ColecoVision. You build it for me and I'll give you 10% of the profits.

Do we have a deal?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Ahh come on, it's easy! Here's a pitch: GTA + Skyrim + Smash Bros + Forza + Gears of War + Angry Birds all in one game. It'll run on 360, PS3, PC, Mac, iOS, Amiga and ColecoVision. You build it for me and I'll give you 10% of the profits.

Do we have a deal?
How exactly would that work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikPok View Post
Found those guides ages ago, and they are well worth the read
Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy110 View Post
It's easy. Any problems and we'll just get Disney and Nintendo on board. We're gonna be using all of their characters anyway, might as well let them provide some input.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post

Do we have a deal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy110 View Post
A runner game, obviously!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:07 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Also here's a funny presentation from a friend of mine on just that topic.

http://howtonotsuckatgamedesign.com/?p=3545
Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Here's now I've approached development of the game I am working on.

I'll preface this with the fact that I have over 10 years experience as a digital project manager in the advertising industry - so I've got a ton of experience creating wireframes, writing scope and spec docs and managing designers and developers.

Saying all of that though - I will agree with what Demon_Jim and Black Ops (and everyone else) is saying - the better you're able to articulate your design to artists and developers the easier it will be to find people to help you actually create your game.

I would start with a brief (2 pages is a good length) scope document. The short length forces you to focus and refine your ideas. of course, this assumes you've polished the game design itself (you HAVE done a bunch of paper prototype testing, haven't you?).

Next I would wireframe the key screens (initial menu and primary gameplay loop).

Getting these two docs to the point that you're happy to show them to people will force you to polish, refine and redesign your design - and believe me, you will do a LOT of redesign.

You should also be considering what you can build as an MVP (minimum viable product). The idea is that rather than committing time and cash to an idea that is flawed, you build a small portion of it and test the markets reaction. If the idea tanks, you've not burnt your life savings finding that out.

Then you can start speaking with artists and developers. But before you do, have a plan for how you'd like to compensate them. Will you pay for their time outright, give them a share of profits or revenue, or go all in and create a studio together?

Be clear about what you expect of them, and what you will bring to the relationship. Set REASONABLE time and cash expectations and be very clear about who has creative control.

It's definitely much harder getting a game made when you're not a developer yourself, but if you can clearly define and pitch your idea, and as as result get people excited and bought into it, you can build up a team that can help you get it done.

Good luck.