★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

07-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon815 View Post
After grinding up a bit in that Dark section, I sped through the next couple until I hit a pretty solid brick wall at the end of the first Dark segment of chapter 3. Hoo boy, that boss was a pain, so much so that I was forced to use a job I'd ignored to this point (White Mage), as well as change up my other jobs just so I could take advantage of the boss's only elemental weakness (Wind). So, with a party of Ranger (to use a Wind weapon) /White Mage/Black Mage (mastered) / Warrior (to use a Wind spear) and the vital guest character, I barely managed to scrape out a win after several tries.

The boss does AOE 1000-1400 damage on a regular basis if you don't have Shell up. Shell is at the same level as Curaja (why???), so you basically have to have a White Mage around for one spell (to pair with spamming Cura) or the other (to just spam Curaja the entire fight). The boss can also disappear from view, and only the guest character can bring him back to being visible. The guest character is also very, very squishy - she had 20-30% less HP than either of my girls in their mage jobs. Did I mention one of his AOE spells can also trigger status effects on top of doing 600-800 damage

So, yeah, this fight can go wrong about 8 different ways. Good luck when you get that far, Dailon.

I am not looking forward to that part at all ha
Geez us
07-13-2017, 11:41 AM
Finished up FF Dimensions last night. I'd intended to give an interim update as to how it was going, but never got the chance to type much.

Basically, the gap between the light and the dark crew only grew when I found a perfect grinding spot with non-threatening enemies and a mid-dungeon healing point. The Light team ended up a full 10 levels higher than the Dark team and had some neat fusion abilities, so when we got down to business and I could finally select my own party, I just threw Nacht in because he was the furthest along in Ranger and called it a day.

Once chapter 4 started, I found another good grinding point and finished off a couple of the character builds I was working on, which left me with the following final party:

Sol: Master Monk w/STR+20% and Counter
Diana: Seer with Doublecast
Aigis: Paladin with mastered Bard secondary
Dusk: Monk with mastered Dragoon secondary
Nacht: Ninja with mastered Ranger secondary

So, basically every boss battle devolved into the following:

Sol: Attack
Diana: Berserk Sol, then start doublecasting either Holy twice or Holy / spread Curaga
Aigis: Fusion Ability Mighty Wall round 1, Hastega round 2
Dusk: Fusion Ability Final Heaven if party at high HP; F-Ability White Wind otherwise
Nacht: Spreadshot

The only boss that gave me significant trouble was the one that absorbed Holy. As one might imagine. Nacht was the star of that show. The only other boss that made me think was the final boss, who has Ye Standard Reduce You All To Single Digit HP Attack. Elixir on Dusk, White Wind, we're back in business.

I also was able to breeze through much of chapter 4 thanks to picking up a Moogle Charm, which was invaluable and saved me several hours. I finished right at 35 hours.

07-13-2017, 06:54 PM
I'm in the dark world in FFIII. I'm finding a lot of things frustrating. The grinding, the job system, the enemy formations... but I do like the kids and the story scratches a lot of itches even as it piles on trope after trope. I'll push on for now.

I've got a level 99 Warrior, Thief, White Wizard, and Black Wizard. The amount of time spent getting there makes me never want to change jobs again.
07-14-2017, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Traveler View Post
I'm in the dark world in FFIII. I'm finding a lot of things frustrating. The grinding, the job system, the enemy formations... but I do like the kids and the story scratches a lot of itches even as it piles on trope after trope. I'll push on for now.

I've got a level 99 Warrior, Thief, White Wizard, and Black Wizard. The amount of time spent getting there makes me never want to change jobs again.
I did not count on how horrible the armor choices would get as time went by for the warrior. I'm going to try to hold out until I get the final set of jobs before I switch classes to Knight/Ninja/Devout/Magus so I can grind all at once. Wheeee :/
07-16-2017, 08:21 PM
Oh what a difference the sunken cave made. Serious jumps in levels, gil, weapons, and armors. Feeling much better about my original plan to stay as Warrior/Thief/W.Wiz/B.Wiz until Onion Knight time.
07-17-2017, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Traveler View Post
Feeling much better about my original plan to stay as Warrior/Thief/W.Wiz/B.Wiz until Onion Knight time.
I know a LOT has changed in the DS/iOS version, but that was, at least, a viable plan in the original as well (except we were looking forward to Ninja and Sage instead of Onion Knight). I emulated fhe game in Palm OS. I think I did two warriors instead of thief and warrior, but it worked like a charm.
Yesterday, 08:01 PM
Got the final job set and decided to grind out Knight/Ninja/Devout/Magus. So dead halt again while I work on FFIII.