Open Feint.. Or not?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by rhansson, Jan 15, 2010.

1. rhansson

rhansson Well-Known Member

#1 rhansson, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    Developers & Gamers

What do you think of Open Feint vs Custom Leader Boards?

Vote yes or no, comment on why and say if you're a developer or gamer.

2. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Open Feint

3. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    Openfeint is getting much better :) I like it now

Custom leaderboards can be good but more often they are not.

So a vote for openfeint :)

4. rhansson

rhansson Well-Known Member

Isn't OF lagging a bit too much?

And if custom leader boards, which one is the perfect one so far?

5. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Openfeint. I'm positive the lag will be addressed in due time.

It seems to be the most dedicated as far as updates adding additional content and fixing bugs. As Openfeint gets better, there are more games being added. Sad because I like(d) Plus+ a lot more but it seems they are keeping that gaming/social app as is. That kinda hurts but it still looks very polished.

With Openfeint:
    - You can talk directly with friends
    - keep comparison via leaderboards/achievements that you can view on they're lists.
    - People can see what your playing and it may intrigue them to purchase your game.
    - people can favorite your game and leave a post as of to why.
    - People can directly make suggestions from gamers to the dev from Openfeint
    - Personal forum/discussion from Openfeint
    - People can fanclub your game from openfeint.
    - You have Facebook and Twitter achievement integrated to be published.
    - Its a daily growing gaming community that is getting better by each updated version.
    - So much more...

Try out the OpenFeint app (if you haven't), go through everything you possibly can and you'll see what i mean. ;)

Feel free to friend me too.

6. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    OpenFeint....if you add achievements with the integration.

Otherwise there's not much point to doing it :)

7. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    um OF is great and all,

but custom leaderboards, if done right. is definitely better IMO. the integration is much better

8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Manchester, England
    OF is the best, seriously.

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    This gamer says Yes to OpenFeint. Except for the annoying scrolling text and sometimes adds (and occasional slowdown, I really haven't seen much personally) it's great.

Though, as long as it's not Scoreloop, I'm not overly concerned which online system you use. Agon would be my 2nd choice. (I still liked Agon better when it was lean and mean and just scores, now it's getting to be more and more like OF, which is fine, but I don't like it's login setup as much.)

10. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    When OpenFeint puts up the "Welcome ******" banner, Empty City 3D slows way down, but only for a second or two.

11. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    OF 2.4 is amazing, the design is slick, its easy to navigate, overall a huge improvement over the last version.

12. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Agreed! The only downside that I have noticed in OpenFeint 2.4 is a slightly larger memory imprint, but nothing huge.

13. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I didn't notice :p But I believe it. I can't wait till some of my favorite games update to OF 2.4.

14. Using standard OF pop-ups over top of an OpenGL view is known to cause slowdowns and visual glitches.

The solution is to implement your own notification pop-ups in OpenGL, which OpenFeint now supports through customization hooks. This can often be better for the game anyway as it lets the programmer decide how and where the notifications will be displayed.

15. venasque

venasque Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Open Feint hands down.

PS: Developers add achievements, they are addicting and rewarding to unlock

16. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Open Feint is what makes the experience everything. Currently some of the top raved games, Touch Arcaders talk about us the service that includes:

- MiniGore
    - Fieldrunners
    - Battle Bears
    - Pocket God
    - Hook Champ
    - Trenches
    - Compression

Those are just some of many. It seems that Open Feint is bringing in Developers one, at a time. And it just gets better and better.

17. OsideRida06

OsideRida06 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2010
    OpenFeint hands down. If I am choosing between two games, one with and one without OpenFeint. I will be choosing the one that does have it. Actually, the last game I bought that didnt have it was NFS, and that was atleast 3 weeks ago. I find myself going only after OpenFeint games now a days.

18. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    OF is just getting better. On a developers point of view they will add in features requested... And that will make it the winner in the end.

19. Eros

Eros Member

Aug 11, 2009
    San Francisco
    You can customize with OF

Eros from OF here...you can actually customize with OF, just use our Open APIs and skin it however you like! Plenty of games do this today...some in very creative ways...email me anytime for more info: [email protected]

~ Eros

20. OsideRida06

OsideRida06 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Are you talking about changing the look of OpenFeint in a game? I hate when games do that. I have saw a couple that have done this. They must have all been from the same developer because they looked the same. I was not a big fan. I like the continuity in openfeint throughout.